Lkng 4 Jens & Catherine Petersen, Esbjerg, Jerne sogn, Skast herred, Ribe amt Dk

Startet af Gary Baxter, 27 Aug 2012 - 00:39

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Gary Baxter

I am looking for information on a Jens Petersen who lived on 23 Street,Brooklyn, NY. He was able to According to look out his window and watch the building of the Brooklyn Bridge. Also he was painter known for his muriels. His apartment Bathroom had a barn scene painted on the walls.

Based upon the 1920 Federal Brooklyn, Kings County, Census for 308 23rd St Page 17A 413 Enumeration District,The Jens Family Household is shown as follows:

Jens Petersen HH Age 37 Painter - Denmark
Catherine Wife 35 Housewife Denmark
Hans Son 13 Student Denmark
Agnes Dhtr 9 Student Denmark
Carl (Also Known as Max) Son 7 Student New York
Eleanor Dhtr 2ms Infant New York

Charles Ericson Boarder 47 Painter Sweden

The 1940 Federal Brooklyn, Kings County, Census for 308 23rd St Page 5E/ 24-791 Enumeration District,Taken April 12th, 1940, Shows The Jens Family Household as follows:

New York, Kings, New York
308 23rd Street
Jens Petersen          Head of Household  57 born about 1883 in Denmark, painter, paint co.
Catherine Petersen  Wife                         55 born about 1855      Denmark
Eleanor Petersen     Daughter                   21 born about 1919     New York
Josephine Petersen Granddaughter           11 born           1929     New York

His youngest daughter, Elinor, - (Shown as Eleanor on the 1920 Census), married John Klein, (Son of George C & Emma (McAlpin) Klein who resided at 413 Somerset St, in the 1910 Fed Queens, NYC, next to his In-laws Richard and Mary McAlpin. John and Elinor in turn had Christine in 1949 in the Ridgewood, Brooklyn Section, Kings County.

Around 1948 at the age of 65 Jens, retired, and He and Catherine returned to the Esbjerg area to live out their lives. Around 1982, in his late 80's early 90's, (predeceased by his wife Catherine, who would have been in her 80s), Jens Sailed from Denmark to New York to visit is Daughter, Eleanor (Petersen) Klein, who was in a Nursing Home, in Cortlandt Manor, NY. After visiting her, his Grand Daughter, (Christine,my wife), and staying in New York for a month to visit family and friends, he sailed back to the Esbjerg, Denmark, where he apparently died. This is the last known address for the both of them that we have

It would be great if we could locate Jens and Catherine's Final Resting Place along with any surviving family members and friends who could provide us with family information and photographs of them that help me complete this side of my wife's family. My wife if considering a trip to Denmark to see the area who Grand Parents came from.  What ever help you can provide will make her heart jump with joy.

You are welcome to contact me, through this website, or directly at: garthe@verizon.net with any additional information questions you may have. I do ask that you write in English as I do not read or write Danish.

Gary E Baxter > Skipper-Rosier-Budd-Baxter-Klein-Petersen Families

Jesper Skov

An exact birthday would help.

There is a Ane K. Petersen (born ab. 1885) with children Agnes (born ab. 1912) and Ellinor (born ab. 1918) returning to Brooklyn fra Copenhagen in 1921 according to ellisisland.org - is this the right family?

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jesper Skov

If found the answer myself - yes it is.

So his name is Jens Marius Laurids Petersen born 13. aug. 1882 and her name is Ane Kathrine Andersen Sigaard born 1. jan. 1885.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Homer Ficken

Here is the wife and family joining Jens, who probably immigrated earlier to find employment, as was often the case:

Arrived 13 June 1911 on ship Hellig Olav from Copenhagen
Anna Pedersen 26, last residence: Varde, destination: J. Pedersen painter c/o Alfred Larsen, Jersey City, New Jersey;
nearest relative in place came from: mother Christiane Sigaard, Billum; birthplace: Mollerup, Varde.
Martha Pedersen 6
Hans Pedersen 5
Agnes Pedersen 11 mos.
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Jane C

Can't believe how fast you found all this!

Jesper, where did you find the birth of Jens Marius Laurids Petersen and Ane Kathrine Andersen Sigaard? And parents?

I checked ddd.dda.dk just now and on first pass didn't find them.

Jesper Skov

Jens is born in Varde, Anne Kathrine in Billum and (at least) the two first children in Varde.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Homer Ficken

If Jens retired to Denmark in 1948, did other family members remain at the 23rd Street address?

On 14 October 1952, alien Jens Marius Pedersen age 70 arrived New York on the ship Bolivia from Copenhagen, and listed his U. S. destination as 308 23rd St, Brooklyn.  (Attached is his 1942 Draft Registration card, listing the same address)

I don't find a circa 1982 arrival, but he would have then been 100 years old!

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Jane C

The Jens Marius Pedersen age 70 traveling in 1952 has to be the same Jens!

Will one of you kind people please explain who are the parents and siblings to Jens?  Is his father Hans Vinfeldt Petersen? Thank you!

Census info: Name, Age, Marital Status, Relationship within the household, Occupation, Place of Birth

1890 CENSUS in the town of Varde, on a street called Østervoldgade:

Ribe, Vester Horne, Varde Købstad, , Østervoldgade 277, , FT 1890, B5673
...lots of people in this census record...
Christian Petersen 13 ugift Søn Varde
Hans Jørgen Petersen 11 ugift Søn Esbjerg [Ribe Amt]
Hans Vinfeldt Petersen 48 gift Husfader Arbejdsmand Darrum [Ribe Amt]
Henriette Petersen 4 ugift Datter Varde
Jens Marius Laurits Petersen 7 ugift Søn born in Varde
Johannes Petersen 53 gift Husfader Snedkermester Seest [Ribe Amt]
Karoline Petersen 5 ugift Datter Varde
Katrine Sørrensen Petersen 39 gift Kone Tjæreborg [Ribe Amt]
Maren Petersen 45 gift Kone Tjæreborg [Ribe Amt]
Marie Petersen 2 ugift Datter Varde
Niels Schested Vickfeld Petersen 11 ugift Søn Varde
Peter Jørgensen Petersen 9 ugift Søn Esbjerg [Ribe Amt]

ugift = unmarried
Søn = son

Gary, you said that when Jens made his last trip he was "in his late 80's early 90's." So maybe he came again to the USA in the 1960s or 1970s (not 1982)?

Jesper Skov

Yes, and the son Hans born in Varde is called "Hans Windfeldt Petersen" in his honour.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jane C

Thank you for that Jesper!

Now I am still having trouble.

Will you please say who is Jens's mother?

Jens has a brother Hans Vinfelt Petersen. Does he have more brothers? (Hans Jørgen Petersen?)

Does Jens have sisters? (Henriette born 1886 in Varde?)

1890 in Varde
Christian Petersen 13 ugift Søn Varde
Hans Jørgen Petersen 11 ugift Søn Esbjerg [Ribe Amt]
Henriette Petersen 4 ugift Datter Varde

Again thank you!

Jesper Skov

No, I am talking about his son.

Jens Marius Laurids Petersen and Ane Kathrine Andersen Sigaard's chrildren born in Varde

Hertha Eleonora Windfeldt Petersen b. 28. apr. 1905 (opslag 140)
Hans Windfeld Petersen b. 9. maj 1906 (opslag 60)
Agnes Vindfeld Petersen b. 3. maj 1910 (opslag 127)

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jesper Skov

Jens Marius Laurids Petersen's parents are

Hans Windfeld Petersen and Maren Svendsen in Varde (opslag 11).

Ane Kathrine Andersen Sigaard's parens are

Anders Kristian Madsen and Kristiane Rasmussen in Mollerup (Linaa 1873-1885 opslag 116).

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jesper Skov

In FT-1901 Varde

ribe, Vester Horne, Varde Købstad, , , 2, FT 1901, B5674
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Hans Vindfelt Pedersen 1842  gift Husfader Kludehandler Darum [Ribe Amt]
Maren Pedersen 1845  gift Kone  Tjæreborg [Ribe Amt]
Jens Marius Laurids Pedersen 1882  ugift Søn Malersvend Varde

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jane C

Okay, thanks for all this Jesper!

So Hans born about 1906, the son of Jens Marius Laurids Petersen of Brooklyn, New York, USA =
Hans Windfeldt Petersen.

Gary, you asked about the brothers and sisters to Jens and Catherine Petersen of Brooklyn.
You also asked if there are living descendants.

For now I will post some history, okay?

This must be Jens Marius Laurids Petersen's father Hans Vindfeld Pedersen; his father is Peder Hansen Christensen, farmer and blacksmith, born in Jordrup sogn:
Ribe, Gørding, Darum, Stordarum, Midtgrandelaug, En Gaard, 24, FT-1850, C3396
Peder Hansen Christensen 42 Gift Gaardmand og Smed Jordruo Sogn, Ribe Amt
Maren Mortensdatter 41 Gift Hans Kone Vilslev Sogn, Ribe Amt
Anna Marie Pedersen 19 Ugift Deres Datter Darum Sogn, Ribe Amt
Morten Pedersen 16 Ugift Deres Søn Darum Sogn, Ribe Amt
Christen Hansen Pedersen 14 Ugift Deres Søn Darum Sogn, Ribe Amt
Gunde Marie Pedersen 11 Ugift Deres Datter Darum Sogn, Ribe Amt
Hans Vindfeldt Pedersen 8 Ugift Deres Søn born in Darum Sogn, Ribe Amt
Hans Jensen 10 Ugift Deres Plejesøn (foster son) Fardrup, Ribe amt

Gift = married
Hans kone = his wife
Deres datter = their daughter
Deres Søn = their son
(for Gary)

Ribe, Skast, Sønderho, Sønderhoe, Sønderhoe Mølle, 21, FT-1860, C2905
In the household of Laust Fredriksen 62, Møller
Hans Windfeld Pedersen 18 Ugift Møllesvend born in Darum sogn [Darum parish]
http://www.ddd.dda.dk/asp/vis_husstand.asp

Møller = miller
Møllersvend  = miller's apprentice/journeyman miller

This could Jens Marius Laurids Petersen's mother Maren Svendsen; the father of this Maren is Svend Jensen, farmer, born in Darum sogn:
Ribe, Skast, Tjæreborg, Tjæreborg Bye, en Gaard, 78, FT-1850, D2946
Svend Jensen 34 Gift Gaardmand, Huusfader Darum Sogn, Ribe Amt
Maren Hansdatter 32 Gift hans Kone Sneum Sogn, Ribe Amt
Maren Svendsen 5 deres Børn Skads Sogn, Ribe Amt
Jens Svendsen 3 deres Børn Do Do [Skads Sogn, Ribe Amt]
Hans Jensen Svendsen 1 deres Børn her i Sognet
Jens Pedersen 17 Ugift Tjenestekarl Sneum Sogn, Ribe Amt

Gary Baxter

Does anyone know if there is a website that would have covered Ship arrivals and departures from New York City, New York State, and the United States, from New York City,for the period 1948 to 1985. If there is we can narrow down the the possible time Jens and Catherine - (Ana Catherine Sigaard Pedersen) left to return to Denmark and then when Jens came back to the United States to visit his daughter, Elinor, and returned to Denmark.

If we can determine Jens Final return sailing date from New York City to Denmark we may then be able to narrow down his date and location of death and perhaps where he and Ana Catherine are buried.

I wonder if they may be buried in the Sigaard or Pedersen Family Plots. I know here in United States family members are listed on a headstone and in the cemetery records. Might this be the same case in Denmark. Is there any way someone could check out the family Plot Headstones to see who is buried in the plots as well as each member's Date of birth and Date of death. A picture of this information would even be better. 

With regard to Jens and Ana Catherine's Children I will check the 1940 Kings County Federal Census to see if they are listed in it and if they in turn had any children. I will next the Whitepages.com Website to see if anyone is listed with a phone number and address around 308 23rd St, Brooklyn, NY which might lead us to living Pedersen Family members. -- Just a shot in the dark.

Thanking everyone for their help in this matter.

Gary E Baxter - garthe@verizon.net

Jane C

Citat fra: Homer Ficken Dato 27 Aug 2012 - 14:49
If Jens retired to Denmark in 1948, did other family members remain at the 23rd Street address?

On 14 October 1952, alien Jens Marius Pedersen age 70 arrived New York on the ship Bolivia from Copenhagen, and listed his U. S. destination as 308 23rd St, Brooklyn.  (Attached is his 1942 Draft Registration card, listing the same address)

I don't find a circa 1982 arrival, but he would have then been 100 years old!

Gary, did you notice Homer's question? Do you agree Homer found the correct Jens traveling in 1952? Note the 1920 census, the 1940 census, and the 1942 World War II draft registration give the same address as the 1952 passenger manifest. That's at least 32 years when the family lived at 308 23rd Street in Brooklyn, across the street from Greenwood Cemetery.

Would you ask your wife to reconsider when her grandfather's last trip took place. She is your best source of information on the timing of that last trip. Does she find it plausible that the trip took place earlier than 1982?

See Homer's note below re. databases for immigrations.

The wonderful volunteers at Danish Archives Northeast might locate "your" Petersen family records at the Danish Lutheran Church in Brooklyn or point you to Danish Brotherhood records.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njdane/BrooklynNY.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elcaarchives/2493441686/in/photostream/

FYI the database with Danish birth, death, and marriage records is Arkivalieronline.dk. http://www.sa.dk/content/us/genealogy/online_services

See also the recent thread called "Helpful Websites."

A meaningful experience would be to visit the towns where Jens and Catherine grew up. Do you want help from forum members in locating their childhood homes?

Google Earth might be able to locate the addresses in Denmark as well as in Brooklyn.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/308-23rd-St-Brooklyn-NY-11215/30580872_zpid/

Also, are you still interested in finding siblings for Jens and Catherine?

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Gary Baxter Dato 28 Aug 2012 - 09:17
Does anyone know if there is a website that would have covered Ship arrivals and departures from New York City, New York State, and the United States, from New York City,for the period 1948 to 1985. If there is we can narrow down the the possible time Jens and Catherine - (Ana Catherine Sigaard Pedersen) left to return to Denmark and then when Jens came back to the United States to visit his daughter, Elinor, and returned to Denmark.

If we can determine Jens Final return sailing date from New York City to Denmark we may then be able to narrow down his date and location of death and perhaps where he and Ana Catherine are buried.

Gary E Baxter - garthe@verizon.net

Gary, I forgot that Ancestry has no passenger lists later than 1957 online, and it may be that privacy regulations ban release of later info.

And I don't know of any source of passenger departures from the USA, any era.

Michelle Bie

I think records in the USA  have to be 50 or 70 years old before they are released to be searched or at least that is true for birth, death, etc and census records.

Michelle

Jane C

In 1860, Hans Windfeld Pedersen lived in Sønderho (Jens Petersen's father)

In 1870 (29 Sep) Hans and Maren had a son Peder in Sønderho.

In 1880 Jens Petersen's mother's maiden name was given as Jensen.

Ribe, Vester Horne, Varde Købstad, Skovbogade, No. 119 b, Sidehuset b, 459, FT-1880, B5672
Hans Vindfeld Pedersen 38 gift Daglejer (day laborer). Husfader Darum Sogn, Ribe Amt
Maren Pedersen f. Jensen 33 gift hans Kone Tjæreborg Sogn, Ribe Amt
Peder Svendsen Pedersen 9 ugift Søn Sønderho, Ribe Amt
Niels Vindfeld Pedersen 1 ugift Søn Varde

The 1890 census is confusing because two couples and their children are scrambled together. At least these four are a family group:

Ribe, Vester Horne, Varde Købstad, , Østervoldgade 277, , FT 1890, B5673
...lots of people in this census record...
Maren Petersen 45 gift Kone Tjæreborg [Ribe Amt]
Niels Schested Vickfeld Petersen 11 ugift Søn Varde

More about Jens Petersen's brother Peter:

Peder Svendsen Pedersen
Born 29 SEP 1870 in Sønderho sogn, Skast, Ribe
Died 22 MAY 1944 in Horne Sogn [= Horne, Øster Horne, Ribe]
Married Anna Eleonora Christensen
Born 14 Jan 1880 in Olling By, Torstrup, Øster Horne, Ribe
Died 27 Oct 1951 in Horne Sogn
CHILDREN
1. Maren Windfeldt Pedersen b 30 Jun 1900 in Olling By, Torstrup, Øster Horne, Ribe
    Maren m 11 Sep 1920 to Metum Mortensen b 7 Oct 1891 in Billum
2. Niels Urup Windfeldt Pedersen b. 12 May 1904 in Horne Sogn
    Niels m 27 Feb 1929 in Horne Sogn to Nicoline Petrea Nissen 1 Jan 1907 in Tistrup
Source: Bennetsen, Horsboel & Skovbjerg family tree online at World Connect by Gunnar Jessen:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=horsboel&id=I3653

More about Hans Vinfeldt Pedersen's parents:

Ribe, Gørding, Darum, Stordarum by Midtgrandlauget, Et Boelsted, 23, FT-1834, B1264
Peder Hansen Christensen 26  Gift  Boelsmand og smed  
Maren Mortensdatter 25  Gift  hans Kone  
Anna Marie Pedersdatter 3  Ugift  deres Barn  
Ingeborg Hansdatter 16  Ugift  Tjenestepige (servant girl)

Ribe, Gørding, Darum, Storedarum Bye, Et Boelsted, 9, FT-1840, C5368
Peder Hansen Christiansen 31  Gift  Boelsmand og Smed  
Maren Mortensdatter 31  Gift  Hans Kone, Væverske  
Ane Marie Pedersdatter 9  Ugift  Deres Børn  
Morten Pedersen 6  Ugift  Deres Børn  
Christen Hansen Pedersen 4  Ugift  Deres Børn  
Grethe Marie Pedersen 1  Ugift  Deres Børn  
Ellen Nielsdatter 17  Ugift  Tjenestepige (servant girl)

Ribe, Gørding, Darum, Stordarum, En Gaard, 9, FT-1845, b1265
Peder Christensen Hansen 36  Gift  Gaardmand og Smed Farrup Ribe Amt
Maren Mortensdatter 36  Gift  hans Kone Vilslev Ribe Amt
Ane Marie Pedersen 14  Ugift  deres Børn Darum
Morten Pedersen 11  Ugift  deres Børn Darum
Christen Hansen Pedersen 9  Ugift  deres Børn Darum
Gunde Marie Pedersen 6  Ugift  deres Børn Darum
Hans Vindfeldt Pedersen 3  Ugift  deres Børn Darum
Jens Pedersen 1  Ugift  deres Børn Darum
Grethe Mette Pedersen 24  Ugift  Tjenestepige Gjørding Ribe Amt

1850 posted above

Ribe, Gørding, Darum, Darum Skoledistrikt, En Gaard, 4, FT-1860, C3316
Peder Hansen Christensen 58  Gift Gaardmand, Smed og Husfader  Jordrup Sogn, Ribe Amt
Maren Mortensdatter 51  Gift Hans Hustru  Vilslev Sogn, Ribe Amt
Morten Pedersen 27  Ugift Deres Barn  Darum Sogn, Ribe Amt
Christen Hansen Pedersen 24  Ugift Deres Barn  Darum Sogn, Ribe Amt
Gunder Marie Pedersen 21  Ugift Deres Barn  Darum Sogn, Ribe Amt

I'm having trouble identifying the children of Jens Petersen in the USA. This could be Carl:
New York, Queens, New York
1223 30th Avenue
Carl Petersen 27, packer, metal co.
Evelyn Petersen 22
Carole Petersen 1
Residence in 1935: same place (a question on the 1940 census)

This Carl (1912-1975) might be the same:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Petersen&GSiman=1&GScid=1812001&GRid=80949850&

and this Evelyn (1918-1990) might be the same:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Petersen&GSiman=1&GScid=1812001&GRid=80949813&

In 1940 Jens and Catherine's granddaughter Josephine Petersen, age 11, lives with them. It seems she would be Hans's daughter. It could be Hans has died.

A Hans Petersen who died in 1928 and is buried at Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn (across the street from Jens Petersen family):
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Petersen&GSfn=Hans&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=36&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=58389860&df=all&

BTW a man named Niels Sehested Vindfeldt is in Varde in 1845, here:
http://www.ddd.dda.dk/asp/vis_husstand.asp

Jane C

Jens Petersen's wife Ane Catherine in 1880 in Mollerup village, Linaa parish, Gjern herred, Skanderborg amt, Denmark:

Skanderborg, Gjern, Linaa, Mollerup By, Linaa Sogn, et hus, 133, FT-1880, C9859
Anders Kr. Madsen 31 Gift Kjøbmand born in Bording Sogn, Ringkøbing Amt
Kristiane Rasmussen 26 Gift Hans Hustru (married, his wife) born Her i Sognet (here in Linaa sogn)
Rasmus Andersen Sigaard 4 Ugift Deres Børn (unmarried, their child) born Her i Sognet
Ane Andersen Sigaard 2 Ugift Deres Børn Her i Sognet
Mads Andersen Sigaard 1 Ugift Deres Børn Her i Sognet

Kjøbmand = merchant, grocer

Ane Catherine's son Carl was nicknamed Max. I wonder if that could come from the family name Mads.

Jane C

Questions for some kind soul in the forum:

Was Jens Petersen baptized at Sankt Jacobi Kirke in Varde købstad (town of Varde)?

When living in Esbjerg, is Jens Petersen likely to belong to Sankt Nikolaj Church or Sædden Church (or be buried by one of these churches)? Are there other "candidates?"

Gary,

Here is a description of Linå kirke (Linaa church), where Ane Kathrine Siggaard Andersen was baptized (Mollerup is mentioned in this blog):
http://thyrashm.blogspot.com/2012/04/lina-church-lina-kirke-gjern-herred.html

Here is a description of Billum kirke, where Ane Kathrine's father Anders Kristian Madsen is buried:
http://thyrashm.blogspot.com/2011/03/billum-church-southwest-jutland-ribe.html

And again the A. K. Madsen family gravestone that Jesper posted above:
http://sepper.dk/billum/billum_visbilled.php?img=/billum/pics/PICT5349.jpg

Here is a description of Vester Horne Herred, where you can see the proximity of Varde and Billum to Esbjerg:
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vester_Horne_Herred

Hanne Berny

Hi
He woudn't belong to any of the 2 churches. Sædden Kirke is build in 1978 and Sankt Nicolai ( catholic ) in 1969 and neither of the 2 churches have their own burielsite.
He could be buried in Gravlunden or Jerne. I have checked the other 2 gravesites ( they're online on eba.esbjergkommune.dk ) and I didn't find his wife, as I understand died first.

Gary : Do you have a more exact adress, than the Esbjerg area ??
Tomorrow I'll go to our local archive here in Esbjerg and see what I can find.
Would it be correct to say that he died in the early 1970's or ???? any idea when his wife died ?

Hanne Berny
Mange hilsner
Hanne Berny,
hberny@live.dk

Gary Baxter

Hanne Berny

Regarding your  Onsdag 29 08 2012, 16:47 Posting

Thank you for chcking out the Archive near Esbjerg to see what you can find for me. Here is what I can tell you:

My Wife advises that Jens and Catherine were Lutheran.

Do you have a more exact adress, than the Esbjerg area ??

No I do not but I have to wonder if Catherine and Jens are buried in a Lutheran Cemetery in Mollerup, Varde (the town of Varde is near Esbjerg in view that is where Catherine's mother was born and was living when she left Copenhagen, on the Hellig Olav in 1911 then mostly returned to visit her mother with her Daughters Agnes, age 11, and Ellinor - (Eleanor) age 2ms.

in the The 1940 Federal Brooklyn, Kings County, Census for 308 23rd St Page 5E/ 24-791 Enumeration District,Taken April 12th, 1940, Shows The Jens Family Household as follows:

Jens Petersen          Head of Household  57 born about 1883 in Denmark, painter, paint co.
Catherine Petersen  Wife                         55 born about 1855      Denmark

My wife advises she died at the age of 80, from a heart attack, in Denmark.  Taking this into account
Age 80 - 55 = 25 years.   Taking the 1940 Census year and adding 25 years to it gives us a reference point of 1965 to work. So Any Period between 1965 to 1975 would work for her.

As Far as Jens he was a widower when he returned back to the United States. My daughter, Christine,
is 36 (born  around 1976).  My wife advises Christine was around 5 or 6 when Jens came back to New York to visit his Daughter, Eleanor, in a Nursing home.  So that would be around 1982 - so play safe and go 3 years either side of 1982 as your reference point.  But yes he did sail back to Copenhagen Denmark - then traveled most likely Mollerup, Varde near Esbjerg.

What I going to try and do tonight, if I get there before they close, is check out the 1940 Census to see if I can find any of Catherine and Jens' Children living around 308 23rd st or in Brooklyn. 

Since the Greenwood Cemetery is near by, and good possibility, I am going to put a posting out to them to check their records to see if they have any of Catherine and Jen's children buried there and what were their burial dates.  From that I can get obituary notices to reach any potential living family members in the Brooklyn, NY area.

Hanne what you are doing is fantastic.  I appreciate whatever you and your Danish Researchers can do to help me locate my wife's Grand Parents final resting place so we can provide some closure.  If we find living Family members, in the Esbjerg area, along the way that will also be great.

If I can help you with any genealogy help in the Westchester-Putnam-Dutchess-Rockland County, NY areas please do not hesitate to reach out to me.  again please feel free to contact me directly at garthe@verizon.net.  Please write in English as I do not speak or write in Danish.

Thanking you in advance.

GAry E Baxter

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Gary,

www.ancestry.com has free access, including the 1940 census, until 3 September.

Lissa

Jane C

Hi everybody,

Hanne thank you for explaining about the churches.

Some more "finds":

IMMIGRATION of Jens

From Ancestry.com:
Line 26 on the passenger manifest, image 115 of 142
Jens Marins Louisto Pedersen [as transcribed; looks like Jens Marius Laurits Pedersen to me]
Arrival Date: 10 Mar 1911
Birth Year: abt 1890 [based on the age as transcribed]
Birth Location: Denmark
Birth Location Other: varde
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Scandinavian
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Mauretania
Farm laborer
Nearest relative in country from when alien came:
Mother: Maren Pedersen, Lundegade, Varde, Denmark

Same passenger manifest, transcribed by Family Search:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JJK3-L6N
Jens Marius Laurito Pedersen
Last Place of Residence: Varde, Denmark
Date of Arrival: 10 Mar 1911
Age at Arrival: 21 y
Ethnicity: Denmark
Port of Departure: Liverpool
Port of Arrival: New York
Marital Status: S
US Citizen:
Ship of Travel: Mauretania

================================

CENSUS

When the family first arrived in USA, Jens Marius used the name Marius/Morris:

1915 (June) New York State Census
New York, Kings
Morris Peterson 32 b abt 1883 in Denmark number of years in USA: 4, house painter
Catherine Peterson 30 born about 1885 in Denmark, housework
Haus Peterson 9 b abt 1906 in Denmark, school
Agnes Peterson 5 b abt 1910 in Denmark
Carl M Peterson 2 b abt 1913 in USA - so he does have the middle initial M
(Haus as transcribed by Ancestry.com; the original handwriting looks like Hans to me)

Correction to 1920 census posted above:

12 January 1920
Brooklyn, Kings, New York
308 23rd Street
Jens Petersen 37 born in Denmark house painter to USA 1911 - owns his home
Catherine Petersen 35 born in Denmark to USA 1911
Hans Petersen 13 born in Denmark to USA 1911
Agnes Petersen 9 born in Denmark to USA 1911
Carl Petersen 7 born in New York
Elenore Petersen 1 year 1 month (born about December 1918)
Charles Ericson 47 lodger

1930 (17 April)
308 23rd Street
Jens Pederson 47 born in Denmark, age at first marriage 23, Alien, house painter
*** Jens owns his home, value $6000, has a radio set
Anne Pederson 44 wife, born in Denmark, age at first marriage 20, Alien, no occupation
Agnes Pederson 19 daughter, born in Denmark, Alien, operator, felt radio
Carl Pederson 17, son, born in New York, office boy, electric
Elinor Pederson 11, born in New York

1930 (28 April)
Hans Petersen  23 born in Denmark to USA 1913 Alien, painter
***(says something more - painting art teacher??)
Marie Petersen  23 born in New York parents born Irish Free State
Kathleen Petersen  2
Josephine Petersen  1
Adolph Arntsen 40 boarder painter born in Norway

1940 (also posted above)
New York, Kings, New York
308 23rd Street
Jens Petersen 57 born about 1883 in Denmark, painter, paint co.
Catherine Petersen Wife 55 born about 1855 Denmark
Eleanor Petersen Daughter 21 born about 1919 New York
Josephine Petersen Granddaughter 11 born 1929 New York - so she is daughter to Hans

======================

About Hertha Eleonora, daughter of Jens Marius and Ane Kathrine:
Hertha Eleonora Windfeldt Petersen b. 28. apr. 1905 (opslag 140)

IMMIGRATION of Ane Kathrine and her children (more complete version posted above):
Arrived 13 June 1911
Anna Pedersen 26
Martha Pedersen 6
Hans Pedersen 5
Agnes Pedersen 11 mos.

"Martha" must be Hertha. She did immigrate to the USA, but is not found on any census record there.

We can guess she died, rather than sent to live elsewhere, because Jens and Ane Kathrine have a daughter Eleanore. It was common Danish naming custom to name a newborn child after another child who had died.

Jane C

Image attached: Jens, bound for Brooklyn, on the 1911 passenger manifest of the Mauretania.

Description of the Mauretania:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Mauretania_(1906)

Description of the Hellig Olav:
http://www.timetableimages.com/maritime/images/scam09i.htm

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Gary Baxter

Hanne Berry

« Svar #23 Dato: Torsdag 30 08 2012, 01:12 »

Regarding my Onsdag 29 08 2012, 16:47 Posting

I made a date error -
Catherine returned to & Left Copenhagen, on the Hellig Olav in 1921 not 1911 her Daughters Agnes, age 11, and Ellinor - (Eleanor) age after visiting her mother.

Sorry for the confusion

Gary

Jane C

Hi Gary, I couldn't find the 1921 immigration record that Jesper cited for Ane K. Petersen on the Ellis Island site. Did you? Was she on the Hellig Olav? She WAS on the Hellig Olav in 1911.

I've love to see you give feedback on the above postings from everyone - including two siblings found for Jens Marius and 1 sibling for Ane Kathrine (their descendants will be the living family in Denmark you seek), and 2 children for Hans Petersen in Brooklyn (their offspring will be the living descendants in USA you seek), and a street address in Varde for the family, the burial site and photo of it for Ane Kathrine's father and family, and so on.

By "give feedback" I don't mean you have to process all that information all at once. It could be that it's overwhelming to you. Just want to know you noticed people had posted.

Gary Baxter

Jane 

Posting:  Torsdag 30 08 2012, 02:50 »

It's Late here on the East Cost - 1:17AM and I am falling asleep while typing.

She returned in 1921 on the The Frederik VIII with Agnes then age 11, and Eleanor 2 - 6ms old.

I have found two pictures of Jens and Catherine, in jpg format, that my wife had. They are not the greatest.  How do I into this bulletin board.  I am sure it will aid my Danish Researchers in Denmark.