Help with burial 1748 Kerteminde

Startet af Sallie Hobbs, 09 Okt 2011 - 05:06

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Sallie Hobbs

Hi,
Could someone help with the transcription and translation of this death?

Kerteminde, Bjerge, Odense   1719-1761, opslag 361
beginning of 1748

I have found online references to the burial of Andreas Christoffer Crane in March 1748 in Kerteminde, and to his death in February 1748 in Kjerteminde. Does this say it was in January? Is there any more than his surname in the record?

Thank you!

Mvh
Sallie

Ole Westermann

Hi Sallie

The first one from January is a person buried into the church under the big chandelier (in Danish: (lyse)crone)

Ops.362: d.5te Dito (March) Velbaarne Hr Oberst Leutnant Kra?
nis Liig begrafven i den store Gang i Kirchen
norden? Magistratens Stoele?

On March 5th 'Honourable' Mr. Lieutenant-Colonel Kra?
ne's corpse buried in the great aisle in the church
north to ? (box) pew of the 'municipal corporation'

Do you know anything about Andreas Christoffer's title ?

mvh Ole

Sallie Hobbs

Ole,

Thank you very much! Well this is the right fellow. And now we know that March is the right date.

Ole, yes, his title was indeed Oberstlieutenant, according to at least one source at google books I found online.
http://tinyurl.com/1903PersonalHistorisk

Many thanks to you for reading all the entries. I know that book is very difficult to read.

Now I can check for a probate record.

Kind regards,
Sallie

Regelsen

Hi Sallie

Andreas Christoff Crane, sekondlt. 1709, prlt. s. år, fanget i slaget v. Gadebusch 1712,
kapt. 1718, major 1729, oberstlt. 1738, død i 1748 i Kerteminde, begravet i kirken, "under
magistratens stole", hans kårde findes endnu ophængt under hovedskibets hvælv på
sydmuren, ~1. med Helene Marie Trappaud, død 1734, ~2. i Kundby kirke 09.01.1737 med
Barbara Dorph, enke e. kapt. Bang. Hans sønner af 1. ægteskab:

Johan (Johannes), * i Odense 06.01.1720.

Andreas, *  i Odense 24.06.1724

Friderich,

Datter, * ?, måske ~ med en kapt. i Slesvig?
Venlig hilsen
regelsen

Ole Westermann

According to 'Nygaards Sedler'
http://ddd.dda.dk/nygaard/visning_billed.asp?id=388778&sort=e    and
http://ddd.dda.dk/nygaard/visning_billed.asp?id=388846&sort=e    and
http://ddd.dda.dk/nygaard/visning_billed.asp?id=388845&sort=e

Captain (Andreas Christoffer) Crane got married in Odder parish (Aarhus amt) on June 11,1719 to Helene Marie Trappaud,
who maybe was a daughter of Lieutenant-colonel Povl Trappaud, who on Feb.21,1688 in Øster Snede married Kristine Sofie
von der Decken.

About Christian Crane:
From: Meddelelser om Dimitterede fra Herlufsholm fra Skolens Stiftelse 1565 til 1875.
504. Christian Crane,27 years old. Came to Herlufsholm School Jan.7,1743, Son of Lieutenant-colonel Andreas Christoph Crane in Kundby;
he was the only one the 5, by headmaster Werring left, "crazy and ignorant" pupils, who passed exam.

mvh Ole

Sallie Hobbs

Hi Ole and Regelsen,

Things are really heating up! :-) Many thanks again to both of you.

Now the problem is deciding whether my Degn Christian Crane, the clerk in Kyndby, was the same Christian Crane as the son of the Captain/Major/Oberstlieutenant Andreas Christoffer Crane.

I think yes; one of my friends isn't convinced.

Regelsen, can you tell me the source for your information? It looks like it includes only the Crane children who were associated with the military. No mention of Christian or Carl, who are mentioned in the books about Herlufsholm.

Also, I need help with translation. Google translate doesn't do well with abbreviations. :-)

prlt. s. år, fanget i slaget v. Gadebusch 1712,
e. kapt.

I'm happy to have Barbara Dorph's husband's name.

Ole, the year that Christian Crane, son of Andreas, arrived at Herlufsholm is the same year that my Degn Christian Crane left Bergen. I wonder if that boy was a troublemaker? :-)

Thank you for all the help!

Kindest regards,
Sallie

Ole Westermann

sekondlt. 1709, prlt. s. år, fanget i slaget v. Gadebusch 1712, kapt. 1718
means

second lieutnenant 1709, first lieutenant same year, taken prisoner in the battle at Gadebusch 1712, captain 1718

I don't know when Christian Crane left Herlufsholm, maybe same year as he arrived ?
And then went to Bergen ? And returned same year ?

Ole

Sallie Hobbs

Ole,
Thank you for the translation. Do you know what e. kapt. means?

It looks like Christian Crane graduated in 1754 from Herlufsholm. See the attached portion of page 96, of the Meddelelser om Dimitterede fra Herlufsholm book

One note: The book's author says Christian Crane was 27 when he graduated. Andreas Crane's son Christian was born 6 April 1728. He would not have been 27 until 1755. So the author is a little off on that.

I'm just very grateful for all the assistance. Who could ever have imagined that all this research could have ever even happened?

Kind regards,
Sallie

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Ole Westermann

Sallie,

Remember that in those days the age was most often the 'running' year, i.e. he was on his way to 27.

In Kundby 1736-1770 (confirmations) I found:
ops.1: Sept.30,1736 Johan Crane   and Apr.13,1738 Andreas Crane
ops.2: Apr.1,1742    Frideric Crane and Christina Sophia Crane

Regelsens: Barbara Dorph, enke e. kapt. Bang.  'widow after captain'  (e. for efter)

Kind regards    Ole

Regelsen

Hi Sallie

Kilde: Provst Bøghs beskrivelse af Kerteminde og Bjerge herred 1770, benævnt
"Skiønne Efterretninger", ved Birgit Bjerre Jensen, udgivet 1995 af Landbohistorisk Selskab.

" enke efter kaptajn Bang"
Hans frue var en søster af Conferentzraad & amtmand Trappaud i jylland.

Andreas: Fynske Nationale Regiment.

Sønner:

Johan: blev fændrik i den norske hær 1743, i sjællandske infanteri regiment 1745,
kaptajn 1759, død før 1772, gift med Elisabeth Sophie Fürst, død 1761.

Andreas: fændrik ved livgarden 1746, major i Danske livregiment 1763, major i den norske
hær 1767, krigskommissær i Trondhjem distrikt 1771-76.

Friderich: fændrik 1747. premierløjtnant 1752, kaptajn 1761, dimitteret med majors karakter 1777.

Andre med navnet Crane: Andreas Gregorius, premierløjtnant, død 12.07.1787, 28 år.
(Kilde: Dødsfald i Danmark 1761-1890, af V. Richter) 

Flere:
Marie Crane, gift med Johan Frederik Reinhard!
Helene Elisabeth Crane, gift med professor, theolog Claus Frees Horneman!
Venlig hilsen
regelsen

Sallie Hobbs

Ole,

I didn't know that about the age. So the Herlufsholm book is exactly right on the age of Christian Crane, son of Andreas Crane. Thanks for that info and for the e = efter translation.

It looks like the Andreas Christoffer Crane family moved to Kundby around the time Andreas Crane married Barbara Dorph.
Age at confirmation:
Johan: 16
Andreas: almost 14
Friderich: 16
Christina Sophia: 15

Regelsen, thank you also for the follow-up. Lots of military history in this family.

Are the "Flere Cranes" mentioned in the same book? Does it show any connections to the other Cranes?

I have Marie Crane identified. She was a daughter of Degn Christian Crane, and a sister to my Jonas Crane/Krane/Chrane. Her first husband was Jochum Christopher Michelsen.

Several sites on the web say that Helene Elisabeth Crane was a daughter of Johan Crane and Elisabeth Sophie Fürst. I have not researched that.

This is fun!

Mvh
Sallie

Regelsen

Sallie

Marie & Helene er fra: "Candidati og examinati juris, 1736-1936, af
A. Falk-Jensen og H. Hjorth-Nielsen, udgivet1957.
(Bind 2 & 3 af 5).
Venlig hilsen
regelsen

Sallie Hobbs

Regelsen,

Thank you for the reply. Are these books in a library?

Mvh
Sallie

Jane C

http://skeel.info/getperson.php?personID=I19119&tree=ks

For forum readers - Here's theologian Claus Frees Horneman (1751-1830), husband to Helene Elisabeth Crane (1753-1823) - complete with portrait.

As for you Sallie, you've been so thorough - I'm sure you've seen this! :D

Regelsen

Sallie

"Hollænderhuset", I fru Schults tid havde der været hollænderi på Kristiansdal.
Da ejendommen  overgik til kronen, ophørte mejeribruget, og hollænderhuset
blev lejet ud til officerer. Huslejen var 6 rigsdaler årlig for de 12 fag.

Den første lejer af Hollænderhuset var kaptajn ved landdragonerne Andreas Crane,
der boede her fra 1719-1733. Det siges 1725, at kaptajn Crane kommanderede Odense herreds kompagni af oberst von Amthors regiment. Og da dette kompagni havde øvelsesplads ved Kristiansdal, var det rimeligt, at de tilknyttede officerer boede her. (Kristiansdal = hovedgård)

Kilde: "Dalum sogns historie", ved Jacob Hansen & Knud Mortensen, 1. bind - 2. del, udgivet
af Dalum kommune 1961.
Venlig hilsen
regelsen

Sallie Hobbs

Jane and Regelsen,

Many thanks to you both.

Jane,  I had not seen that site nor that picture. Thank you for finding it.
Regelsen, I've copied the Crane/Horneman/Reinhardt information from the rosekamp.dk site. Thank you for that and for the new information about Andreas Crane, and the Hollænderhuset.

Now we know why he was just called "The Captain" on his son's baptismal record. It looks like everybody must have known who he was. :-)

I did find out that FHL doesn't have a film for 1748 for probates in Kerteminde.

Thanks for helping to make more connections with this family.

Mvh
Sallie

Jane C