Soldier's uniform. Help please.

Startet af I.M., 01 Jun 2015 - 10:43

Forrige emne - Næste emne

I.M.

Hi all

I am looking for any information on this soldier for someone in England thought to be living in Frederiksborg/Lynge-Kronborg/Helsingør or København.
We believe that the woman is Ane Cathrine Bendtsdatter or Andersen born in Usserød, Avderød or Bloustrød sogn Frederiksborg.

Does anyone recognize the uniform he is wearing? Also the younger soldier in photo 2.

Here are some Censuses for this family. We think that Niels Olsen from Sweden is her first husband.

1850: http://www.danishfamilysearch.dk/cid6624548
1855: http://www.danishfamilysearch.dk/cid8180833
1860: http://www.danishfamilysearch.dk/cid14247432

Thank you.

Ian
(Sweden)

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

I.M.

Photo 2

Eva Morfiadakis

Hi,

A thought crossed my mind. Would Niels Olsen/Nils Olsson (Swedish) be wearing a soldier`s uniform unless he had become a Danish citizen? He is not in the database on people obtaining Danish citizenship.

Eva M
Eva M

I.M.

Hi Eva M

Thanks for looking.

I cannot find any death for a Nils Olsen so that could be a possibility. Have you a link to the database on people obtaining Danish citizenships? Was it normal for a farmer to become a soldier later in life. Comparing to Sweden I have never come across a farmer becoming a soldier before.

Ian

Eva Morfiadakis

Sweden had another system until 1901. In Sweden the soldiers were "professionals". The farmers paid for the soldiers so their sons wouldn't have become soldiers.

You find the database on ddd.dda.dk (immigrants). I looked in a database on which I have a subscription containing Swedes emigrating. I couldn't find Nils Olsson but then early emigrants are not always listed due to the fact that the moving-out books have been lost.

Eva M
Eva M

Ole Holst Petersen

Hi Ian,
Photo 1:
My first thought was that the medal could be of Dannebrogsordenen, but I have not been able to find the similar medal (the coloured stripes on the ribbon are too wide). Another thing is that the collar on the uniform has rounded edges in the front, and as far as I know that was not used on Danish army uniforms.
Photo 2:
Could be the same person at a younger age. The uniform and cap do not look like Danish uniforms. The badge on the cap used on Danish uniforms was normally a number showing the soldier's actual battalion. So my guess is that it is a Swedish uniform.
Both pictures:
Are you able to see the backside of the photos? If so, you might be able to see the photographer's name and address, which could give an idea of place and time.

Venlig hilsen
Ole Holst Petersen
Alrø
8300 Odder

Eva Morfiadakis

Niels Olsen, 30,  and Anne Cathrine Bendtsdatter, 241/2, were married on28 August 1846 in Tikøb.

Her father was lodger Bendt Andersen in Rørtang.

Niels was serving at Borupsgaard.

You find the marriage record in Tikøb 1844-1851 image 94.

Their first son Bendt was born on 31 Dec. 1846. Tikøb 1844-1851 image 44.

Eva M
Eva M

I.M.

Excellent Eva M. Thank you for your findings.

And thank you Ole for looking and having a go.
I have contacted the owner of the images to see if there is anything written on them.

Ian

I.M.

Here is the back of the first photo:

Eva Morfiadakis

If the photo was taken in Denmark it could only have been taken in Helsingør because the other names are towns in Sweden.

I now notice you live in Sweden, just like me

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

Is the 2nd photo a soldier`s uniform?

Notice the chain in his pocket. It seems like the chain of a whistle or maybe a watch (in Swedish en rova). Somebody working at the railways?

Eva M
Eva M

I.M.

Hi Eva

Yes I live in Sweden.
I think the other photo is a soldier but I am not an expert in these matters. It could of course be a railway uniform.

Here is another soldier from the same family with front and back:

Ian

I.M.

Back:

Eva Morfiadakis

Soldier's uniforms seem to have double buttoning.

The sentence "A present from your brother" puzzles me.  Why in English? The man must have been educated to know English. Why didn't he write it in Danish?

The uniform in photo 1 resembles the one in photo 3 whereas photo 2 is odd.

Eva M
Eva M

Ole Holst Petersen

Hi Ian,
Unfortunately I have lost the "site" of Danish photographers, but I am sure that somebody reading this thread can come up with the right address. There you will be able to find the time when the photographers were in business in Helsingør and København, and from that you can put a date of the photo within a few years.
I fully agree with Eva that picture 2 uniform is not an army uniform.
Picture 3: I guess that the uniform is light grey (the others are dark blue), and that indicates that the uniform in Danmark was used about 1880 to 1920. - Isn't it possible to enlarge the writing on the buttom of the picture, so you are able to see the name of the sender? - Maybe it is quite normal that the sender wrote in English, if he sent the photo to normally English speaking family in England.
Venlig hilsen
Ole Holst Petersen
Alrø
8300 Odder

I.M.

Hi all
Thanks for your help. I haven't told you the whole story because of the fact that I didn't think it would get this far. A son of this family was a sailor and ended up in England. These photos are the ones that ended up there.

Here is the link to another forum in England that I help out:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=514460.0

This will explain a lot. Sorry to misslead a little.

The text at the bottom says, I think, "a kindly remembrances from Niels"...??

Ian

Eva Morfiadakis

Did I get it right a son of (Swedish) Niels Olsen´s ended up in England? That son wrote in English on  photo 3 saying it was of a brother called Niels?

Did Niels Olsen have a son called Niels? If so, he must have been born after 1860. In census 1860 when the family is living in Helsingør,  there is no son named Niels.

Eva M

Eva M

I.M.

Hi Eva M

Here is an enlargement of the text. I think it says Niels......

Ian

I.M.

a better one:

Eva Morfiadakis

It was no problem reading the text, I enlarged the photo even more. The question is: who is Niels? Is he seding it to his brother in England? I doubt Niels would know English. In those days not so many people spoke English. It must be the brother in England who had good knowledge of English who wrote the text.

C. Springer,  the photographer, was a lady named Christine. Photographer was to some extent a female profession in those days. I couldn't find out however when she opened her shop at Amagerbro Torv.

Eva M
Eva M

I.M.

Found this on C. Springer. Looks like the years were around 1867-1876.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/statensarkiver/8449265855/

There was perhaps a Niels brother born later on after 1860.

Ian

Eva Morfiadakis

In 1877 C. Springer moved to Amagertorv 4 from Amagertorv 17.

If he was a son of Niels Olsen, I guess his name was either Niels Nielsen or Niels Olsen. The family lived in Helsingør in census 1860. In Helsingör there are only two parishes to look in, Sct Marie or Sct Olai.

Eva M
Eva M