deciphering burial record name

Startet af David Madison, 16 Sep 2015 - 05:41

Forrige emne - Næste emne

David Madison

Hej,

I need your help in deciphering the spelling of the name of my ancestor in her burial record.
Birgite? Olufsdatter (c.1655-1699)

Birgite's burial record:  28 Jun 1699  Skt. Bodils Kirkegaard, Bodilsker Sogn, Sønder Herred, Bornholm:
Bodilsker Sogn Kirkebog 1688-1779, opslag 39, side 42 and FamilySearch image 39

I have attached a copy of the record for your use. The kirkebog is quite damaged.

This is what I have so far:

D[en]. 28. Juny Bleff Begraffen Birgite?
Jens Peders fra Langedeby

The 28th June Became Buried Birgite?
Jens Peders[en's wife] from Langedeby   

Thanks for helping.

Mvh,

David

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Ralph Rasmussen

Time and place often determine the version or spelling of a common name.  I would read 'Birrite', Birthe.  But that is easily the equivalent of Birgitta, (saint) Bridget of Sweden (1303 – 23 July 1373); born as Birgitta Birgersdotter.

A little poking around on the surrounding pages would help confirm the spelling.  I certainly don't see the g of begraven in her name.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

David Madison

Hej Ralph,

Thanks for you help and comments.

Mvh,

David

Ralph Rasmussen

On page 44, image 41, I found Birritte Knudsdatter as a witness on January 19, 1700.  That seems to clear up the spelling for that time and place.

http://ao.salldata.dk/vis.php?bsid=148446&side=41&kb=Kirkebog:%20Bornholm,%20Bornholm%20S%C3%B8nder,%20Bodilsker%201688-1779%20FVD%20(EM)&height=667

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

David Madison

Hej Ralph,

Thanks for the additional information.  I was unaware of the website that has the image you sent. It appears to be better quality.

Mvh,

David