Translation help for birth record, please

Startet af Linda Vixie, 20 Sep 2015 - 17:28

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Linda Vixie

I need help reading this birth record, the first one on the page (#3), Niels Kristjan Augustinus Nielsen, born 30 Jan 1868:

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?epid=17124804#166071,27898653

[I'm not sure why the link doesn't go to the page, but it's page 16, and I've attached images.]

It's from Lendum Sogn, Hjorring.

His parents were Kristine Vilhelmine Nielsen and Niels Peter Jensen. I think they were not married, as the boy was giving his mother's surname.

I would especially like to know what the text about the parents says (seems to be longer than most) and the remarks. Also, there seems to be no baptism date.

There might be something about "Mellergaard" in Gerum Sogn, which is next to Lendum.

I'm helping a woman find out about her ancestors. Niels Peter Jensen is her great-great-grandfather through a woman he later married, so we're trying to find out where Niels Peter Jensen was from.

Thank you so very much for helping me read this record. I'm very thankful!

Linda Vixie

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Linda Vixie

And here's the rest of the entry, with the remarks

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Ralph Rasmussen

This leaves a couple of holes, particularly where he may have been in 1870.  His birth parish and age  should be listed in the respective 1860 and 1870 censuses.

Moderen tjente 10 Maaneders
Dagen før sin Nedkomst i
Mellegaard i Gerum Sogn

The mother was employed at Mellegaard at the apparent time of conception.

Ugifte Kristine Vilhelmine
Nielsen 21 Aar af Albæk.
Til Barnefader udlagt hun xxxx
Mand Niels Peter Jensen forhen
Gaardmd i Mellegaard i Galten
sogn, boer nu i xulten i Tams?? [no such parish]
Sogn.

NPJ operated the farm Mellegaard in 1865, but by 1866 had moved on.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Linda Vixie

Ralph, thank you so very much for reading, transcribing, and translating this entry. You are very kind!

I wonder if "Tams" sogn could be read as "Taars" sogn. There is a
Tårs sogn adjacent to Lendum sogn, where the child was born.

From U.S. records, it seems that NPJ was born in May 1839. I don't have an exact date yet.

NPJ married a woman named Marie Jacobsen about 1870. She was born February 1850. But I don't know where they were born or married.

They had one child in Denmark before they immigrated to Iowa, USA, in 1872. They had 11 more children in Iowa.

The Danish child's name is Elise/Eliza/Elizabeth M. [Jensen/Johnson], born July 1871. I have sent for her obituary, so it may provide more information.

I have looked for NPJ's birth, a little in censuses, and a marriage and birth record for Elise, but haven't found anything. I need more exact U.S. information, maybe.

Linda

Ralph Rasmussen

I have no luck with the censuses.  A Marie Jacobsen of the right age came to Chicago in November 1872 as a wife, but I can't connect her to Niels or Elise. I searched here:  http://www.ddd.dda.dk/soeg_person_selv.asp

County histories were popular around 1900, and sometimes have a bio of the right men.  It is really hit and miss what is written of Danish communities in Danske i Amerika volume two.  Church records and church histories are occasionally a gold mine.

Can you add the Iowa community they lived in to this thread?

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Linda Vixie

Certainly, Ralph. Thanks for the continued interest.

Niels Peter Jensen (Nels Peter or N.P. Johnson in America) lived in Hazel Dell Township, Pottawattamie County, Iowa, from 1873, per an 1885 county atlas. He is listed as a farmer and brick mason.

All the censuses for himself and his wife and daughter say they immigrated in 1872.

His illegitimate son (Nels C.A. Johnson in America) immigrated to America in 1889 when he was 21 and lived the rest of his life in Pottawattamie County, Iowa. He married a woman whose father lived 2 miles from NPJ in Pottawattamie County, so apparently he came to where his father was. There's a nice entry for him in Findagrave.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Johnson&GSiman=1&GScid=2152609&GRid=104260482&

NPJ and his family moved to Woodbine, Boyer Township, Harrison County, Iowa, (next to Pottawattamie County) between 1895 and 1900. He is probably the one with that name who died in Woodbine in the spring of 1903, per a probated will. His wife ("Mari" in the will) was living and named co-executor. I haven't found what happened to her.

The 1900 census says NPJ was born May 1839 in Denmark. Many of the daughters' marriage records and state census entries say their mother was Marie Jacobsen/Jacobson.

I need to try to get a death cert for NPJ from Iowa. I haven't found a cemetery entry for him, either. I have requested an obit for Elizabeth, the daughter born in Denmark. It will take a few weeks to arrive. I can also request a death cert for her. It should give an exact birth date, but it will not likely give the exact place of birth in Denmark. She lived to be 94 or 95.

I should also try to find NPJ's naturalization record.

I can provide the list of children that NPJ had with Marie Jacobsen in Denmark and Iowa if that would be of use.

Linda Vixie

There are no questions here, just additional info on the family.

Today I received the obituary for the child of Niels Peter Jensen and Marie Jacobsen who was born in Denmark before they immigrated to Iowa in 1872.

It says Elizabeth S. Peterson (born Eliza or Elise M. Jensen) was born July 11, 1870 in Copenhagen. She immigrated "as an infant." [U.S. censuses usually say 1872.]

She died 9 Jan 1965 in Denver, Colorado and is buried in Crown Hill Cemetery.

Re: her name and age:
In the 1880 census, she is Eliza Johnson, 9.
1885 Iowa state census, she is Elise M. Johnson, 13.
In 1900 she is Lizzie, born Jul 1870, age 29.
In 1910 she is Lizzie, age 39.
In 1920 she is Elizabeth, age 49.
Her tombstone says Elizebeth.

If she was born in July 1870, she should have been 8, 28, 38, 48 at the time of the censuses, not numbers ending in 9. The 1900 census says born July 1870 (agrees with obituary), but she would not have had her birthday yet in April, when the census was taken. So could she have been born in 1869?

The 1870 census in Denmark was taken in February, so if she was born in July 1870 she would not be in that census.

I have not found her in Danish birth records at FamilySearch, but I don't know what her Danish name might have been: Elisabet/Else/Elise M[arie?] Jensen or Nielsdatter?

It says Elizabeth was born in Copenhagen, but my great-grandmother's obit says she was born in Copenhagen, but she wasn't, she was born in Hillerod. She later lived in Copenhagen, but the kids didn't know where she was born, apparently and Copenhagen is a big city they've heard of.

Her mother would have been pregnant for the 1870 census, so maybe she was in the same household with the baby's father, Niels Peter Jensen.

I found Marie's tombstone, and Elizabeth's mother, Marie Jacobson Johnson, was born 11 Feb 1850 in Denmark and died 1 Sep 1918 in Denver, Colorado.