Translation of information on birth certificate Kopenhagen - 1895

Startet af Ruth Bader, 25 Sep 2015 - 03:00

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Ruth Bader

Hello from Australia

I've just found my great uncle's birth record online via Arkivalieronline. I was able to identify him by his known name and birth date, plus the details of his parents.

My great grandparents were from Poland and were only in Kopenhagen temporarily. I'm hoping that the birth certificate will provide an insight into their reason for being in Kopenhagen and/or their own origins.

If you could translate the text for me, I'd very much appreciate it.  :)

Best wishes

Ruth
Canberra, Australia

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Herluf Ringgaard

I read: Leopold (Lenz) Bader og hustru Regize f. Karluszki (Golinski) 22 år gl. Fra Polen, er på gennemrejse, p.t. Almindelig Hospital, Nørre Alle 41.
Leopold and his wife Regize, age 22 years. From Poland, is passing through, currently Almindelig Hospital, Nørre Alle 41. This is not what we know as a Hospital. It was an institution for the poor, with a small department for sick people. The place was demolished in 1895, so apparently they have been some of the last people to stay there. There is no reason for their stay in Copenhagen, but their names might indicate where they come from?
Int. områder: Thisted- Hillerslev- Sennels- Skovsted

Jens Eg

http://www.kb.dk/letters/judsam/2011/mar/dsa/object365/en/

Hi Ruth Bader.
Did you know this letter from  Leopold Bader to mr. Simonsen in 1895.  Click on it.

If you not could use it, then perhaps i can make a copy of it. OK
Regards
Jens Eg

Ralph Rasmussen

Language communities were intermixed in the 19th century, particularly in cities.  So it is not particularly unusual for the father to write the letter in German, and be from Poland, as I interpret the remarks.  My reading begs for review.

Difficult handwriting.  It seems to say the couple was married xxxx 16, 1892 in Karvat? and that the father was born in Txxxx near Warsaw September 4, 1868.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ruth Bader

Citat fra: Herluf Ringgaard [6085] Dato 25 Sep 2015 - 13:44
I read: Leopold (Lenz) Bader og hustru Regize f. Karluszki (Golinski) 22 år gl. Fra Polen, er på gennemrejse, p.t. Almindelig Hospital, Nørre Alle 41.
Leopold and his wife Regize, age 22 years. From Poland, is passing through, currently Almindelig Hospital, Nørre Alle 41. This is not what we know as a Hospital. It was an institution for the poor, with a small department for sick people. The place was demolished in 1895, so apparently they have been some of the last people to stay there. There is no reason for their stay in Copenhagen, but their names might indicate where they come from?

Hi Herluf

Thank you very much for your response. That already helps me a lot.  I know that my great grandparents were poor, so this information makes sense to me.

I just realised I should have shared the information I could decipher when I posted the image:

my great grandfather was Leopold (Lewek) Bader
my great grandmother was Regine, nee Garbinski (sometimes also Karbinski, as in this case)

If it's not too much trouble, there is also another part of the image but you may not have seen it as it's further to the right. I've attached that part again here. I can only decipher my great grandfather's birthday (4 Sep 1868) and 'Warsaw' (where he was born). I would love to understand what the other date is about and if any other information about the family or their circumstances is included.

Best regards, and again thank you for your help with this.

Ruth

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Ruth Bader

Citat fra: Jens Eg [1403] Dato 25 Sep 2015 - 17:11
http://www.kb.dk/letters/judsam/2011/mar/dsa/object365/en/

Hi Ruth Bader.
Did you know this letter from  Leopold Bader to mr. Simonsen in 1895.  Click on it.

If you not could use it, then perhaps i can make a copy of it. OK
Regards
Jens Eg

Hi Jens

Thank you very much for this. There are four letters by my great grandfather Leopold to Chief Rabbi Simonsen in the online archive. I found them a couple of months ago while searching for information about my great uncle who, as I only recently discovered, was born in Copenhagen. It was quite a surprise!

Two of my great grandfather's letters are in German, which I'm fluent in, so I was able to decipher most of the content. The other two letters are in Hebrew and while some members of my family are fluent in it, we are yet to find someone who can decipher them (it appears to be a very particular type of traditional Hebrew).

This is how I came to look for my great uncle's birth record.

Best wishes from sunny Australia

Ruth

Ruth Bader

Citat fra: Ralph Rasmussen [3835] Dato 25 Sep 2015 - 19:56
Language communities were intermixed in the 19th century, particularly in cities.  So it is not particularly unusual for the father to write the letter in German, and be from Poland, as I interpret the remarks.  My reading begs for review.

Difficult handwriting.  It seems to say the couple was married xxxx 16, 1892 in Karvat? and that the father was born in Txxxx near Warsaw September 4, 1868.

Hi Ralph

That's great, thank you very much for this. I'd previously found (not necessarily reliable) information about my great grandparents marrying in Warsaw in 1891, so this information may get me closer to the actual date. The birth date for Leopold is also very useful to confirm as I've found two different birth dates for him.

Best wishes
Ruth