Daughters of Anders Jørgensen

Startet af George Settera, 12 Nov 2015 - 02:23

Forrige emne - Næste emne

George Settera

The 1860 census shows the Anders Jørgensen household as

Samtlige personer i husstanden
Maribo, Fuglse, Østofte, Haulykke, en gård, 30, FT-1860, B6467
Navn:    Alder:    Civilstand:    Stilling i husstanden:    Erhverv:    Fødested:
Anders Jørgensen   49   Enkemand   gårdmand      Østofte
Ane Margrethe Andersen   18   Ugift   hans barn      Østofte
Jons Andersen   16   Ugift   hans barn      Østofte
Thrine Andersen   14   Ugift   hans barn      Østofte
Johans Andersen   12   Ugift   hans barn      Østofte
Karen Kirstine Andersen   10   Ugift   hans barn      Østofte
Hanne Dorthe Andersen   3   Ugift   hans barn      Østofte

I have traced Anders, Ane Margrethe (my great grandmother), Jons, and Johans to the US.  Anders' mother, Birthe Kirstine Andersen, died in 1863 in Østofte, so they might have been in Denmark at that time.  Can anyone help me determine if Thrine, Karen, and/or Hanne were still in Denmark after 1870.  The rest of the family show up in the US 1870 census.

thank you  in advance

George Settera

Ralph Rasmussen

Another probable 'no earlier than' date:  November 1864, Karen Kirstine was confirmed at Ølstykke. Parish register original 1858-1866, opslag (lookup) 175, confirmand #14.  Her birth noted as February 2, 1850.

There is no suggestion that she was living with someone else.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ralph Rasmussen

Sometimes departures for America come up in the 'Afgang' lists.  No luck in Østofte.  I also looked there for a
departure of Karen or Thrine to a neighboring parish. 

The 1864-1870 departures are here, opslag 26-46, maybe worth a second look:
http://ao.salldata.dk/vis.php?bsid=206862&side=47&kb=Kirkebog:%20Maribo,%20Fuglse,%20%C3%98stofte%201858-1875%20TA%20(HM)&height=667

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Ole Westermann

Hanne Dorthea died Febr.5, 1860, age 2½, from scarlet fever, see
http://ao.salldata.dk/vis.php?bsid=206860&side=242&kb=Kirkebog: Maribo, Fuglse, Østofte 1858-1866 FKVD (HM)&zoom=&height=717

Ole

George Settera

Ralph,

You found that Karen Kirstine's confirmation occurred in Ølstykke.  The only place I can find is one a considerable distance from Maribo county.  Is there an Ølstykke in Maribo co. that doesn't show on Google maps?

Thanks,

George Settera

Ralph Rasmussen

Gross typo on my part!

Østofte 1858-1866, 175.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Ole Westermann

According to the 'military rolls' (lægdsruller) at
http://ao.salldata.dk/vis.php?bsid=18840&side=197&kb=Lægdsrulle: 2. Udskrivningskreds, K, 1863 Hovedrulle  Lægd 221 - 268&height=717

old nr 628 new 284 Jens Andersen (Kaa) (son of Anders Jørgensen (Kaa)), born 1844 in Havlykke travelled to America 1866:
Notes (right):
Anmeldt afreist til Amerika, bevises. Sess. 1867 (Reported travellled to America, to be proven)
I 1866 reist til Amerika, hvor han endnu opholder sig efter Attest. Sess. 1868
(In 1866 travelled to America, where he still is according to certificate. Sess.1868)
.....   1873: not returned

Ole

George Settera

Ole,

Good info!  Question:  Does the fact that Anders Jørgensen (Jens' father) appear in the lægdsruller imply that he was still in Denmark when the notes were written.  Or was Anders' name listed there when Jens became eligible for military service and the entry just got updated (i.e. the notes) irrespective of Anders' existence?

George Settera

Ole Westermann

George,

The father's (or mother's if the son was illegitimate) was always enlisted.
It does not tell anything about where he was, so he was not necessarily in Denmark.

In 1844 when Jens was born he was admitted in the roll the same year, but he was striken out again in 1849,
when Denmark got a new constitution with military service for (nearly) all young men. He was then admitted
to the 'new' rolls ca. 1860 again. Before 1849 the boys entered the rolls in their birthyear, but after 1849 first
after their confirmation (age 14/15).

From the 1863 roll we can see that the notes first were made in 1867, so this is a kind of update irrespective of
Anders' existence. Only if Anders had died, it would have been written there.

Ole

Ole Westermann

At http://ao.salldata.dk/vis.php?bsid=17523&side=58&kb=Lægdsrulle: Maribo, U, 1844 Tilgangsrulle&height=717
you see Jens as nr 721 in 1844, born June 3.  At that time Østofte had the lægd nr.35.

Next time we find him in hovedrulle 1846:
http://ao.salldata.dk/vis.php?bsid=17532&side=63&kb=Lægdsrulle: Maribo, X, 1846 Hovedrulle 33-65&height=717
nr 721 - 575 now 2 y.o.

Next time we find him is in 1858 after his confirmation at
http://ao.salldata.dk/vis.php?bsid=17498&side=78&kb=Lægdsrulle: Maribo, H, 1858 Tilgangsrulle&height=717
nr 628

By the way:
Johan was bapt. July 16, 1848 with the name Anders Johan Andersen, born May 16. Confirmation Sept.30, 1862 in Østofte.

Ole

George Settera

Ole and Ralph,

You have been a great help to me.  I hope that someone can help me with the mystery of Thrine and/or Karen Kirstine. 

Thank you very much.

George Settera

Ole Westermann

When do you first meet the family in US, and did they all end up in the same area?
If the family left Denmark in the mid-1860ies it seems reasonable to me so suggest, that they
all went along (together?). Trine and Karen Kirstine at that time still teenagers.

There are no traces of them in the 1880 census in Maribo amt.
And I suppose that not everyone survived the trip over the Atlantic.

Ole

George Settera

The family first are found in two different counties in Iowa in the 1870 US census.  Ane M. and Johan are in Palo Alto co. in a household headed by Peter Christian Adamsen.  Anders J. and his son Jens are living in Scott co. They were still in Denmark in 1864 so Thrine would have been at least 18.  That's why I thought she might have married someone and remained in Denmark.  Karen K. would have been at least 14.  Another possibility was that one or both of them stayed in Denmark with Anders' younger sister, Karen Jørgensdatter, who was married to Niels Jørgensen.  I can't find any reference to Karen J. or Niels J. so I can't follow up on my hunch.

You are probably correct about the cross-Atlantic hazards.  That's sad.

George Settera