Liberation Day badge

Startet af Barbara Bate, 08 Dec 2015 - 11:25

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Barbara Bate

Hello,
Recently my Danish mother-in-law gave my half-Danish husband a badge, which she says belonged to her father. It, obviously, commemorates Liberation Day on 5/5/1945, but her memory nowadays is rather vague  and she can't remember how he came to own it or what the significance of the Pegasus image is. She also mentioned St John, but I don't know if that's a reference to mid-summer's day in June and she might be a bit muddled there with the dates.

Perhaps you lovely people are too young to remember such things but, perhaps, your mums and dads would recognise it. It is silver as it has the Danish hallmark on the reverse, and has orange/red enamel on the front. It measures 17mm x 20mm.

I'd be grateful for any info about it. I have Googled it but haven't found anything so far.
Many thanks,
Barbara

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Eva Morfiadakis

Pegasus was the symbol of the airborne British batallions. It was the British who liberated Denmark.

Eva M
Eva M

Ole Westermann

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Parachute_Brigade_(United_Kingdom) (Post war)
the brigade was detached to Denmark on May 4,1945 for occupation duties.
So this badge was has probably been made in Denmark. For who? Members of the brigade?

Barbara Bate

Thank you Eva and Ole. The info you've given me is very interesting and I shall contact the Forces War records site as a result.

I spoke to my mother-in-law again today about the badge, but I got no further - although she has said she will try to remember. It's a shame. The badge is so well made and I know that Georg Jensen produced a commemorative piece for the King's birthday in 1940, which was later re-marked 1945 for Liberation Day, so other silversmiths must have produced similar items.

If I find out anything further I'll let you know.

Many thanks again,
Barbara