Translation help for arrival list, please

Startet af Linda Vixie, 06 Feb 2016 - 18:16

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Ellen Steen-Petersen

Linda Vixie

It certainly could be, John! These are common names, but I will check this out. Thank you so much.

I'm not sure how early they were in Pottawattamie Co., Iowa. Seems like I have a date when he acquired land there.

Don't you just love it when a puzzle comes together? Thank you so much for all your help, Ellen and John.

This is research I'm doing for a friend who was adopted. We've found her bio birth mother's info, and this is on her line. My friend feels particularly close to the Danish roots, and this will mean a lot. She travels a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if she goes to Ugilt and Dronningland, etc.

Her grandmother Elsa was the granddaughter of NJP and Marie.

Linda Vixie

May I ask for another translation, please?

On this page, there's a Niels Peter Jensen, 26, who marries widow Kirstine Marie Jensen, 44, in Gaerum sogn on 8 May 1861.

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?epid=17122836#162341,27278059

This is the right age to be our NPJ, and he was a tenant in Mellegard, Gaerum sogn, before he went to Lendum sogn in 1867, as a divorced man.

This looks like it might be him, but I can't read or understand the Danish comments.

With gratitude,

Linda

Helmer Christiansen

The comment: Borgerligt viede som Gjendøbere af Herredsfogden i Frederikshavn ifølge hans Anmeldelse af 27 Maj.

They were not members of the Danish National Church and therefore was not married in the church, but entered into a civil marriage. They were "Gendøbere" (Anabaptists).
Helmer Christiansen
2000 F

Linda Vixie

Thank you, Helmer. I will try to learn to recognize those words in case I see them again in other Danish records.

Were they both living in Mellegaard when they married? Is there something about his occupation?

Linda

Helmer Christiansen

The bride was a widow and owner of the farm Mellemgaard and he was the manager of Mellemgaard.
Helmer Christiansen
2000 F

Linda Vixie

Wow -- so he married the owner. Interesting. Thanks!