John Johnson of Denmark, to Franklin, Pennsylvania, 1882

Startet af Lisa Petersen, 11 Mar 2016 - 02:15

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lisa Petersen

Hej

I would like to find the birth place in Denmark of a man called John Johnson who lived in Franklin, Pennsylvania, from 1883 until his death in 1942.  He was born on 30 Sep 1853 somewhere in Denmark.  He arrived in New York on 26 May 1882 according to his naturalization papers.  He married a widow named Mary Grimm in 1885.  They owned a flour and feed store in Franklin, hers from her first husband.  John Johnson did not have children of his own.  His father was Jørgen Johnson according to his death certificate.  My great-grandparents (from Denmark) were married in 1885 at the home of John Johnson, so I am trying to find out if they knew him in Denmark, met on the ship, or met after arriving in the U.S.

New York passenger lists of May 1882 show only the country of origin, not the birth place or village of last residence.  I do not know what his name was in Denmark.  I tried to search the Udvandrerprotokoller for a person (without a name), age 28 and Forevisningsdato 1882 05 and got no results.  Of course it is possible he went another way.

There was another Dane in Franklin, Penn., called William Johnson.  I found his name in Denmark was Frederik Vilhelm Bastiansen, and he was born in Fredericia in 1843.  He was not related to John Johnson.

Can anyone suggest what I should try now?

Thank you.

Lisa Petersen
near Washington, D.C.

Heidi Ilsoee

Suggestion:

Name:  Svensson, John
Destination:  Ridgeway, Pen.
Contract nr.:  290800
Date:  15-04-1882
Last preservation place: Sweden
Destination: USA
Destination town:  Ridgeway Bestemmelses stat:  Pennsylvania
Name of ship:  Indirekte
ID code:  I8182S2205

However according to his last name, he should be swedish.

Verner Bentsen

Citat fra: Lisa Petersen [51781] Dato 11 Mar 2016 - 02:15
His father was Jørgen Johnson according to his death certificate. 

Then John's last name could be Jørgensen in DK.

mvh Verner

Lisa Petersen

Yes, it could be.  I guess I could search the DDD for ____ Jørgensen, born in 1853, and then check the church books to see if they were born on 30 September.  I will try that.

I thought the last name of the other Dane I mentioned before, William Johnson, would be Jensen or Jørgensen, but it was Bastiansen, and his father's name was Erich Christian Bastiansen.  And my great-grandfather, called John L. Peterson in America, was given the name Johan Linnet Pedersen when he was born in Eltang, Vejle amt.  That name change is understandable.  His father's name was Niels Pedersen, so the children kept the same last name as the father.

I wish I had more information about John Johnson's history before he moved to Franklin, Penn.

Lisa Petersen

So from the DDD, I compiled a list of male Jørgensens who are age 26 in the FT-1880, and found about 50 with the first name Jens, Hans, Jørgen, or Johan.  Then I started to look in the kirkebøger for their birth dates.  After an hour, I found this:

Jens Jørgensen, f. 30 sep 1853, Nebsager sogn, Vejle amt, father Jørgen Christensen
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?epid=17125336#166918,28027457

He could be the John Johnson in Franklin, Penn., but I need to look for proof that Jens Jørgensen in Nebsager left Denmark in 1882.  If I don't find it, then I may keep looking for other Jørgensens.

Verner Bentsen

Jens Jørgensen i lægdsrullen:

4.u. TR 1869, nr T5, lægd 126 Nebsager
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?epid=16480943#27646,2948005

4.u. OR 1880, nr T5, lægd 126 Nebsager
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?epid=16480943#27649,2948751
Fst 3. Drg Regmt 2/84 and Afsk. 1/87, afsked 1887.
But it doesn't tell if he left for the US; maybe because he left after the military service in 1880.
Maybe his Stambog can tell.

mvh Verner

Lisa Petersen

Verner

Thank you for finding the lægdsruller!  I have one question -- what happened in 2/84?  Was he assigned to the 3rd Dragoon Regt, or released from it?  My John Johnson went to America in 1882.

When you were finding Jens Jørgensen in the lægdsruller, I was looking for the deaths of his parents (1885 and 1899), then hoping to find their skifter but those records are not online yet.  If Jens Jørgensen is the same man as John Johnson, I should search passenger lists in case he returned to Denmark for a short while when his father or mother died.

Thanks for your help as always, Verner!

Lisa Petersen
near Washington, D.C.

Verner Bentsen

From 1880 to 2/84 (feb 1884) he was still assigned to 3. Drg.Reg. and from 2/84 to 1/87 (Fst) he should be available in case of emergency and after 1/87 he was discharged.
Fst/Frstkn = Reinforcements (Forstærkningen)
Afs = discharged (Afskediget)
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Denmark:_Abbreviations_in_Army_Levying_Rolls

Normally there would be a note if he left DK between 1880 and 2/84.

Does it make sense ?

mvh Verner

Bente Wanning

:)

http://www.familytreenow.com/search/census/results?first=john&last=johnson&state=PA&country=denmark&dobyyyy=1853&rid=0sr&smck=F0zTPnQV_ubYNqF9X8mJ3A

Full Name   John Johnson
Age   47
Birth Year   1853
Birth Date   Sep 1853
Birth Place   Denmark
Gender   Male
Marital Status   Married
Census County   Venango
State   Pennsylvania
Race   White
Ethnicity   American
Father's Birth Place   Denmark
Head Name   John Johnson
Mother's Birth Place   Denmark
Relationship Code   Self
Relation to Head   Head
Residence   Franklin City, Venango, Pennsylvania
Spouse Birth Place   Germany
Spouse Name   Mary J Johnson
Census Year   1900
Census Country   Us
Batch Locality   Pennsylvania, United States
Enumeration District   0144
Est. Marriage Year   1885
Event Date   1900
Race   White
Relation to Head   Self
Years Married   15
Incorporation   Franklin City
Ward   2
Immigration Year   1882
Household Members
Name   Age   Birth Yr   Role
Mary J Johnson   58   1842   Wife
Venlig hilsen
Bente Wanning 
Hjørring amt <Skæve<Voer<Astrup<Åsted sogne
Hals Arkiv 9370
Medlem af DS Danmark -

Verner Bentsen

I found this: Bjerre herred, Skiftesagsliste, (Dødsanmeldelse)
http://ao.salldata.dk/vis.php?bsid=138045&side=7&kb=Protokol:%20Vejle,%20Skiftesagliste%20Bjerre%20hrd.%20,%20Bjerre%20herred%201899%20-%201917&height=1027

#9 5/4 Ane Marie Jensdatter; Ejede intet. ( Jens Jørgensens mother )

mvh Verner

Lisa Petersen

Verner,

Yes, that makes sense now.  Thank you for the explanation.  And thanks for the link to Jens Jørgensen's mother's dødsanmeldelse.  It has been my experience that when I need a skifte in order to learn about heirs, the deceased owned nothing, so there is no skifte and no information about heirs.   :(  It is possible that the father owned something when he died in 1885, but those records are not online yet.

Bente,

Thank you for finding John Johnson in findagrave!  I did not know he was there, although his information was added only a month ago.  And you found the correct John Johnson in the 1900 Census.  I have found some other sources of information about him (his death certificate, obituary in the newspaper, marriage announcement in the newspaper, city directories, and so on) but they don't tell where in Denmark he came from.  It is nice that findagrave has the same birth date that I found on his death certificate.

Thank you for all the help!

Lisa Petersen
near Washington, D.C.

Verner Bentsen

Jens Jørgensen's stambog does not indicate that he went to Amerika.

In 1885 Jens is in Denmark. He has signed some probate papers.

mvh Verner

Lisa Petersen

Verner

Thank you VERY MUCH for the images you sent (to me directly) of Jens Jørgensen's stambog and the probate notes of his father.  I agree that his stambog does not indicate he went to America.  Did he appear in person in Jan 1884 to be assigned to forstærkningen?  If yes, then that is another clue that he was still in Denmark (and probably not the same person as John Johnson in Franklin, Penn.).  And the probate notes prove to me that Jens Jørgensen was in DK in 1885.

The method I used to find Jens Jørgensen is not a good, thorough search.  I searched the DDD (which is not quite complete and may contain errors) for Jørgensens (good guess that is John Johnson's Danish name but not certain) who were age 26 (more possibilities for errors) in the FT-1880 (also might not be complete and may contain errors), then searched the kirkebøger for the birth dates of Hans/Johan/Jens/Jørgen Jørgensens (his first name may have been something else).  Jens Jørgensen in Nebsager was a very good possibility, but there are probably others.  I might try some other methods if I can find a better way.

The stambog is very interesting and informative, I have not seen one before.  Thanks for finding it and sending me the image, even though Jens Jørgensen is probably not John Johnson.

Thank you for taking your time to do some research for me (and I'm sorry that all I have left to do are difficult problems).  Even with all the records online now, there are some problems that need original records in the archives, so it is helpful to have someone like you to go to RA and spend the time to find what is not available to researchers across the ocean.  I really appreciate it!

It is very nice that Daisy allows you to request records to be pulled before you arrive at the archives.  The U.S. National Archives does not do that.  I went to a meeting where we, the researchers, asked the National Archives to let us request records online before we arrive, and they said No because too many people will request the records and then not come to look at them.   :(

Thanks again for all your help.  Have a good weekend and good Easter.

Lisa Petersen
near Washington, D.C.

Verner Bentsen

Citat fra: Lisa Petersen [51781] Dato 18 Mar 2016 - 21:29
Did he appear in person in Jan 1884 to be assigned to forstærkningen?

I don't think so. It's only paperwork.

Verner

Elinor Gravgaard Kristensen

http://ao.sa.dk/ao/data.ashx?bid=37998741

Jeg kan ikke skrive engelsk.

Men her er Jens fra Nebsager gift med Rasmine i As Bjerre Vejle Amt

Rasmine Dør 8 Mar 1949 i Glud Sogn Bjerre Vejle Amt.

Med Venlig Hilsen Elinor

Lisa Petersen

Elinor

Tusind tak for dit svar.  Vielsen beviser, tror jeg, at Jens fra Nebsager ikke var den samme som John Johnson, der udvandrede til Amerika i 1882.   :(

Tak for hjelpen.

Mvh

Lisa Petersen
ved Washington, D.C.