Help With Varde Probate

Startet af Marlon Henvit, 27 Mar 2016 - 19:28

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Marlon Henvit

While searching transcribed Varde probate records I found this:

168 Dorthe Jensdatter, ugift i Varde. 24.9.1768, fol.451.
Uden ægteskab B:
1) Anne Marie Jensdatter 4.
Jens Iversen Stovstrup var udlagt far og blev formynder.

Does this mean Dorthe and Jens were married in Varde? Or is Anne Marie Iversdatter their illegitimate child? Or something else?

Marlon Henvit
Mesquite, Nevada USA

Ole Westermann

They were not married at the time of the birth of Anne Marie Jensdatter.
Whether they got married later cannot be determined from this extract.
Jens Iversen Stovstrup was the putative father.

I found the probate:
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?bsid=141353#141353,34615695
In summary:
1768, 24th of September
Probate letter after unmarried woman Dorethe Jensdatter, who last stayed with
Jens Iversen Stoustrup here in town. She died in this house leaving behind an
illegitimate daughter Anne Marie Jensdatter in her 4th year, and she was the only
heir after her mother.  DJ had served for JIS in his house.
Jens Iversen Stoustrup promises to take care of Anne Marie until her 18th year
with clothes, food and upbringing.

And from this is seen, that Dorethe and Jens never got married.

mvh Ole

Marlon Henvit

Thanks Ole,

Seven months after the death of Dorthe, Jens married Elseken Pedersdatter. In the probate at the death of Jens in 1783 there is no mention of Anne Marie. Could she have died by then?

279 Jens [Iversen] Stovstrup i Varde. 30.8.1783, fol.562B.
E: Elsebeth (Elsken) Pedersdatter. LV: Søren Borch i Varde. B:
1) Karen Jensdatter 10
2) Anne Cathrine Jensdatter 8
3) Peder Jensen 6.
FM:
1 født værge [farbror] Hans Christian Iversen i Ringkøbing
2 fars søskendebarn Enevold Nielsen i Varde.
Sml. lbnr.164, 168.

Marlon Henvit
Mesquite, Nevada USA

Ole Westermann

Normally, when a couple is married and one of them dies, and the surviving part remarries,
he/she has to 'skifte' (share/divide the estate) with the child/children from the first marriage.

I would suppose, that JIS (even if he was not married to DJ) had to do so, when he married
Elsebeth Pedersdatter in 1769. If he did so, Anne Marie had received the inheritance after both
her mother and father.
And then she will not be mentioned in the probate, when JIS dies 1783.

Anne Marie can't be found dead in Varde until 1801 and is not in the census 1787 and 1801.

She can have moved away, maybe far away?

Ole

Helmer Christiansen

A child born out of wedlock had no right to inherit from the father. Anne Marie Jensdatter inherited 30 Rixdollar from her mother in 1768. She were to recieve the money from her guardian (her putative father Jens Iversen Stovstrup) when she turned 18. In the probate after her father in 1783 the 30 Rixdollar is listed as a liability. Retsbetjent: Ribe, Skifteprotokol for Varde Købstad, Varde byfoged, Øster og Vester Horne herreder 1772 - 1792, opslag 474
Helmer Christiansen
2000 F

Ole Westermann

Anne Marie Jensdatter was born 20.nov.1764, so at her fathers death ca 1.aug.1783 she had turned 18 on
20.nov.1782 and should have received the 30 rigsdaler?
Listed as a liability leaves the impression, that she is still alive at this time (somewhere).

Marlon Henvit

There is more. Does this say that Jens Iversen was a widower after Anne Christensdatter?

164 Anne Christensdatter i Varde. 1.6.1767, fol.434B.
E: Jens Iversen Stovstrup. A:
1) bror Anders Christensen i Vittarp i Ovtrup sogn, død. 1B:
a Margrethe Andersdatter 60. LV: Peder Lauridsen Rottarp [i Ovtrup sogn]
2) bror Jens Nissen Christensen i Vittarp, død. B:
a Nis Jensen i Søndernæs i Brøns sogn på Ribe Hospital gods
b Kirsten Jensdatter, død, var g.m. Hans Pedersen i Eskelund i Brørup sogn. 2B:
1 Johanne Hansdatter g.m. Jacob Nielsen i Enderupskov i Gram sogn på Nybøl gods
2 Anne Hansdatter, enke efter Christian Fisker
c Christen Jensen, død
d Hans Jensen, død
e Gregers Jensen, død
samt 2 døtre i Eskelund i Brørup sogn
3) søster Dorthe Christensdatter , død. B:
a Jeppe Maltesen, død. 3B:
1 Henrik Jepsen 25, i Kærup [i Janderup sogn]
2 Dorthe Jepsdatter 22, i Kærup
3 Malte Jepsen 20, i Kærup
b Bakken Maltesen i Varde
c Hans Maltesen i Børsmose i Ål sogn
d Mette Maltesdatter g.m. Rasmus Hansen i Skyhede [i Ovtrup sogn]
e Karen Maltesdatter g.m. Vilhelm Johan Arent i Borre [i Ål sogn]
f Mette Maltesdatter, [skifte slut 17.12.1749], var g.m. Jens Tøstesen, [skifte 25.6.1757 lbnr.97]. 1B:
1 Dorthe Jensdatter i Darum præstegård
4) søster Bodil Christensdatter, død. 3B:
a Mette Nielsdatter, enke i Varde Hospital
b Kirsten Nielsdatter g.m. Claus Nielsen, møller i Frisvad mølle
c Anne Nielsdatter, enke efter Anders Christensen i Tønder amt.

Marlon Henvit
Mesquite, Nevada USA

Ole Westermann

Yes, JIS and AC got married in Varde 23.11.1746. At that time JIS was abt 35 and AC 65 !
And the heirs are all relatives to AC, here in a more clear arrangement:

1) bror Anders Christensen i Vittarp i Ovtrup sogn, død. 1B:
    a Margrethe Andersdatter 60. LV: Peder Lauridsen Rottarp [i Ovtrup sogn]
2) bror Jens Nissen Christensen i Vittarp, død. B:
    a Nis Jensen i Søndernæs i Brøns sogn på Ribe Hospital gods
    b Kirsten Jensdatter, død, var g.m. Hans Pedersen i Eskelund i Brørup sogn. 2B:
       1 Johanne Hansdatter g.m. Jacob Nielsen i Enderupskov i Gram sogn på Nybøl gods
       2 Anne Hansdatter, enke efter Christian Fisker
    c Christen Jensen, død
    d Hans Jensen, død
    e Gregers Jensen, død
    and 2 daughters in Eskelund i Brørup sogn
3) søster Dorthe Christensdatter , død. B:
    a Jeppe Maltesen, død. 3B:
       1 Henrik Jepsen 25, i Kærup [i Janderup sogn]
       2 Dorthe Jepsdatter 22, i Kærup
       3 Malte Jepsen 20, i Kærup
    b Bakken Maltesen i Varde
    c Hans Maltesen i Børsmose i Ål sogn
    d Mette Maltesdatter g.m. Rasmus Hansen i Skyhede [i Ovtrup sogn]
    e Karen Maltesdatter g.m. Vilhelm Johan Arent i Borre [i Ål sogn]
    f Mette Maltesdatter, [skifte slut 17.12.1749], var g.m. Jens Tøstesen, [skifte 25.6.1757 lbnr.97]. 1B:
      1 Dorthe Jensdatter i Darum præstegård
4) søster Bodil Christensdatter, død. 3B:
    a Mette Nielsdatter, enke i Varde Hospital
    b Kirsten Nielsdatter g.m. Claus Nielsen, møller i Frisvad mølle
c Anne Nielsdatter, enke efter Anders Christensen i Tønder amt.

Ole

Ole Westermann

The baptism of Jens Ivarsen Stoustrup is at https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?bsid=172923#172923,29035630
Ao 1715, 31.Martii - Stoustrup -  (father): Ivar Xstens(en) - Jens

Marlon Henvit

Hi Ole,

This thread still has some unanswered questions for me.

1.I always thought Jens Iversen should have had a wife before Elseken Pedersdatter because of his age but since he was about 35 when they were married perhaps there was one before Anne Christensdatter. When I found the marriage with Elseken I went to Ribe then Vester Horne and then Sct. Nicolai. Now since the new system I find Ribe then Varde Sct. Nicolai but that only gives me burials. What am I doing wrong?

2. In the transcribed Varde probate records you send me to some time ago there is another one # 93 for Ida Christensdatter i Varde. 23.1.1754, fol.36. A couple of things. It mentions brother Iver Christensen, Iver was the father of Jens Iversen, Does this indicate he was dead in 1754 at the time of this probate? I have his death July 1765, This can be seen at Oddum, Norre Horne, Ringkøbing. Or is it his widow Abelone Kirstine Madsdatter who is dead. I do not have a wife for Iver Christensen. I wonder if there were two Iver Christensens around at the time. Finally it shows Jens Iversen to be the guardian for Maren Iversdatter. Why would she need a guardian at age 26 and who might she be? Oh and what is a lavværge?

Marlon Henvit
Mesquite, Nevada USA

Ole Westermann

Hi Marlon

1. Transcriptions of the church records in Varde are easy to find here:

https://www.slaegtogdata.dk/forum/index.php?topic=94670.0
    The original records:
    If you find Ribe Amt and Varde Sct Nicolai Sogn and click the + at Enesteministerialbog,
    there are both dead (D) 1705-1806 and born (F) 1705-1779.
    And beneath there is an excellent alphabetic register on married and dead until 1891.
    The written (1960-1970) refers to the period for creation of this.

2. I looked at the probate after Ide Christensdatter (18 images), starting in 1754, ending in 1756.
    She was a sister to Iver Christensen (who probaly died in the first ½ of 1745 (with no records)) and Apelone
    Kirstine Madsdatter, who then married a Laurids Nielsen (buried 25.6.1751). AKM is present at the probate.
    The only heir after Ide Christensdatter is a daughter of her brother Iver Christensen and Apelone Kirstine Madsdatter,
    their only living child Maren/Mariane Iversdatter, who is 26 and is serving in Tønder. Before the probate ends, she
    gets married in Tønder to an Otte Andreasen.

So this Iver Christensen is another person than Iver Christensen in Stoustrup in Oddum/Ådum parish.

Jens Iversen Stoustrup is guardian (værge) for Maren Iversdatter. But whether he has any familiar relation to her
and the others cannot be decided. Ide Christensdatter had served for the former mayor in Varde, Bertel Taulou, to
his full satisfaction from 1735 to 1745.

At that time women always needed a 'værge' (guardian) at a probate. And a widow too, and her guardian was called a 'lavværge'. Lav- is related to the English law. And the widow could chose her guardian herself.

mvh Ole

Marlon Henvit

Hi Ole,

As usual you have done much more than I could have hoped for in educating  me about my genealogy. I can't thank you enough.

Marlon Henvir
Mesquie, Nevada USA

Marlon Henvit

Hi Ole,

While searching through the Varde records you made available to me I found two records related to this thread.

Varde St. Nicolai Kirke 1705 – 1779 (1746 – 76) Kordegnens eksemplar.
Publice absolverede 1746 – 50 side 126 – 127
1755 – 67 side 130 - 131

D. 10. feb. 1747 sad Skipper Jens hans datter N: Chirsten Marie Jensdatter (Kirsten Marie Jensdatter) åbenbar skrifte for begangen synd mod det 6. bud og udlagde Jens Iversen Stoustrup til barne fadder.

Fredagen d. 16. juni 1747 stod Jens Iversen Stoustrup åbenbar kirkens disciplin for begangen lejermaal med Kirsten Marie. (se tidligere)

Fredagen d. 4. dec. 1761 blev Dorte Jensdatter publice absolveret for begangen synd mod det 6. bud og udlagde til barnefader unge karl Christen Jensen fra Holmsland.

What did Jens Iversen do this time? It seems that Dorthe Jensdatter ad a previous illegitimate child.

Marlon Henvit
Mesquite, Nevada USA

Ole Westermann

Hi Marlon

The first child (born primo April 1747) had been 'produced' Jan.1746, 3 months before JIS married AC.
So having sinned against the 6. Commandment both had to make public confession in the church in  front
of the community. The mother did this 10. Febr. and JIS 16. June.

And the second tells that Dorte Jensdatter had an illigitimate child previously (with another father than JIS).

It must also have been pretty boring for JIS with such an old wife!

This could be JIS in 1735:

At http://dendigitalebyport.byhistorie.dk/1735/?indberetning=144
is a list of (male) inhabitants in Varde 1735 and what they are doing.
  Among
•Kræmere og de, som holder Hæste og Vogne, at kiøre med Fragt og til deres Arbeide.
(Shopkeepers and those keeping horses and wagons for driving with freight and for their work)
  is  ◦Jens Ifuerssen, beboer sin egen Huus, nærer sig af lidet Aufling, holder 2 Hæster dertil og anden Kiørsel, naar forefalder.
          -          -       (lives in his own house, earns his living by a little farming, keeps 2 horses for that and other transport
                             when occurs)

By the way there is nothing in the church records indicating, that he was married before 1746.

Ole

Marlon Henvit

Thanks Ole. Is Kristine Marie Jensdatter the baby produced or the name of the lady (?) in question? if  the baby what is the mother's name?

Marlon Henvit
Mesquite, Nevada USA

Ole Westermann

Kirsten Marie Jensdatter, daughter of the skipper Jens .....? is the mother of illigitimate child.
The name of the child was Anne Christiane Jensdatter, bapt. 9.april.

Ole