Need help, please, with translation of Burial Record, Søllerød sogn, København

Startet af Roger Nelson, 04 Apr 2016 - 23:36

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Thyge Larsen

I read in Danish: Søren Jensen, Baadsmand paa Narvalen, which translates to:  Søren Jensen boatswain on Narvalen (the name of a ship. Really Narhvalen = the narwhale)

Roger Nelson

Roger Nelson

The ship's name was the name of a kind of whale. 
Am I correct in assuming that the Nartvalen was a whaling ship?

Was there a port in the Søllerød sogn used by whaling ships?  Rog

Helmer Christiansen

Søllerød is today a suburb of Copenhagen and have never had a port.

I do not think the ship Narhvalen has been a whaler. The name is also used in modern times on one of the Navy's U-boats.

On the website of "Dansk Center for Byhistorie" (The Danish Centre for Urban History) they have a database of the Danish shipping in the year 1787. There you can find a ship Narhvalen, based in Copenhagen. The ship owner was Icelandic Trade. The skipper called Jens Pedersen Manø and the vessel type was a "huggert". Tonnage 47 kmcl (~? 94 BRT), with a crew of 6 men. The ship departed in April 1787 from Copenhagen to Moss in Norway and on to Patriksfjord in Iceland. From here the ship sailed to Livorno in Italy, where it arrived in December 1787.

Helmer Christiansen
2000 F

Thyge Larsen

No, it had nothing to do with whaling. The name just signifies something that moves well in water :) There is no port in Søllerød, but it was entirely possible to live there and board a ship in Copenhagen.

Apparently, the ship Narhvalen was a "huggert" which was a small freighter. I think I found something about that ship (not 100% sure it is the same, but probably), and it was owned by the Iceland Trading Co. (Iceland was part of Denmark at the time). I has done trips between Denmark, Norway, Iceland, and the Mediterranian (Livorno), according to this site: http://dendigitalebyport.byhistorie.dk/skibsfart1787/skib.aspx?hjemhavnID=292&skibID=346

Roger Nelson

The reason I raised the question about a port at Søllerød is that according to the history of Søllerød in Wikipedia: "the extensive parish reached all the way from Furesø Lake in the west to the Øresund coast in the east."  However, it does not give a year for that.
Regards, Rog

Thyge Larsen

Correct, but the ports along the cost of Sealand were tiny and only used by small fishing vessels.

Roger Nelson

Mange tak!

Thyge, I appreciate your help in answering all my questions.
Rog