Need help to find Joanne Marie, daughter of Anders Hansen, born 1831

Startet af Claude Anders Hanson, 08 Apr 2016 - 16:17

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Claude Anders Hanson

Could someone translate Lisa Peterson's two responses to my 07 April 16 request into English?  I'm just learning to use the Forum and don't yet understand how to respond and keep it in the same thread!  I'm very appreciative of any help I get and hopefully my ignorance on using the Forum will be short lived!!!  Thanks.

Maybe she is in Døstrup on the 1850 Census, but not living with her parents? Here is a possiblitity:

Tønder, Tønder, Højer og Lø, Døstrup, Laurup By, 7, et Huus, 88, FT-1850, C7582
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Jens Nielsen Balsen 52 Gift Gaardmand, Huusfader her i Sognet
Kjesten Marie Jørgensen 42 Gift hans Kone her i Sognet
Niels Jensen Balsen 50 Ugift Mandens Broder, der hos ham har sit Ophold her i Sognet
Johanne Marie Hansen 19 Ugift Tjenestepige Janderup Sogn, Ribe Amt

Tønder, Tønder, Højer og Lø, Abild (Slesvigsk), Nordabild, En Gaard, 46, FT-1860, D7710
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Christen Møller 37 Gift Husfader. Gaardmand Ubjerg Sogn, Tønder Amt
Amalie Helene Møller. f. Lyck 40 Gift Hans Kone Møgeltønder Sogn, Tønder Amt
Carsten Petersen Johansen 11 Ugift Deres Barn Abild Sogn, Tønder Amt
Anne Marie Møller 8 Ugift Deres Barn Abild Sogn, Tønder Amt
Hans Hinrig Møller 6 Ugift Deres Barn Abild Sogn, Tønder Amt
Andrea Kristine Møller 4 Ugift Deres Barn Abild Sogn, Tønder Amt
Andreas Christian Møller 3 Ugift Deres Barn Abild Sogn, Tønder Amt
Hans Peter Johansen 26 Ugift Tjenestekarl Sønder Løgum, Tønder Amt
Friderig Paulsen 35 Ugift Tjenestekarl Bjolderup Sogn, Aabenraa Amt
Margrethe Marie Schak 50 Ugift Tjenestepige Møgeltønder Sogn, Tønder Amt
Johanne Marie Hansen 29 Ugift Tjenestepige Janderup Sogn, Ribe Amt

In response to when did Joanne Marie's parents die, her father, Anders Hansen died of April 5, 1868 while working in the vicarage of Dostrup Church in that parish of Tonder county.  Her mother died on January 11th 1894 in Lovrup, Dostrup parish, Tonder County.

Lisa Petersen

To add another message to a thread, click on the SVAR button at the bottom right of the message you want to reply to.

The first is the 1850 Census, in the town of Laurup, in Døstrup parish.  Johanne Marie Hansen is 19, unmarried, a Servant Girl, born in Janderup parish in Ribe county.  She is working for Jens Nielsen Balsen, a farmer.

The second is the 1860 Census, where she is working for Christen Møller at a farm in Nordabild, Abild parish.  Johanne Marie Hansen is 29, unmarried, Servant Girl, born in Janderup parish in Ribe county.

I found the information on the Dansk Demografisk Database web site.  http://ddd.dda.dk/soeg_person.asp  Maybe they have a way to search in English and get results in English, but I don't know since I always use the Danish.

It was very common for children to leave home after being confirmed at age 14/15 and go work somewhere.  You can use the Til- og Afgangslister (moving in and moving out) records of these and nearby parishes to see if she was working in other places.  Unfortunately, Denmark lost Slesvig in the 1860s, so you won't find an 1870 Census or 1880....

If you are wondering how your Johanne Marie Andersen could possibly be this Johanne Marie Hansen, it is because the custom of patronymics began to end around 1828 (if I remember correctly).  It was not a popular idea, so many people continued to follow the old ways for many years.  Andersen would be her patronymic last name, while Hansen would be her surname last name.  You don't really know from the records how she wanted her name spelled, if she even had a preference, because the records are written by someone else who more than likely wrote it the way they wanted to.  I checked to see if there was a Johanne Marie Hansen born in Janderup parish around 1831 and there is no one by that name.  (you should check yourself)

Another thing to know is that prior to 1870, it was common to round up to the next birthday when reporting a person's age.  On the 1850 Census taken on 1 Feb 1850, your Johanne Marie Andersen should have been 18 years and 4 months old, but I would expect her age to be rounded up to 19.  Ditto for 1860, her age should be reported as 29.  Officially this practice ended with the 1870 Census (this is also true for censuses in the U.S.).  Of course you will find exceptions and errors here and there, before and after 1870.

I took a quick look for a probate for Anders Hansen ca 1868 and did not see records of that time or place online.

What questions do you have now? 

Lisa Petersen
near Washington, D.C.

Claude Anders Hanson

Thanks so much for the information.  Your explanation of the records was very good and easy to understand.  Right this minute, I can't think of another question....but knowing myself fairly well, there will undoubtedly be another at a later date!  Thanks again, Claude