Kjaerulf in Alborg

Startet af Philip van Dael, 24 Apr 2016 - 16:00

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Philip van Dael

Dear Forum-users,

I am looking for the ancestors of:

Bertel Kjaerulf, father of:

a) Jan Bertels Kjaerulf (in Amsterdam: Keerwolf), married (banns) Amsterdam 10-4-1649 Anne Jans
b) Pieter Batholomeuszn (Bertels) Kjaerulf ((in Amsterdam: Keerwolf), married (banns) Amsterdam 30-1-1669 Geertruid Jans Eeckhout
c) Laurs Bertels Kjaerulf (in Amsterdam: Keerwolf), married (banns) Amsterdam  1-7-1661 Geertruid Smits. In the marriage contract it is stated that he was 30 years old (so born ca. 1631), from Alborg in Danmark, and that he was a silversmith.

On the internet I found a Bertel Laursen Kjærulf  who married 1) Tove Jensdatter, and married 2) Karen Laursdatter. He is stated as a son of Laurs Ovesen Jensen and Anne Bertelsdatter Kjaerulf.

The Christian names are very similar to the Kjaerulf/Keerwolf-familie in Holland (Amsterdam).

Are they the same?

Best regards,
Philip van Dael.

Bente Wanning

Venlig hilsen
Bente Wanning 
Hjørring amt <Skæve<Voer<Astrup<Åsted sogne
Hals Arkiv 9370
Medlem af DS Danmark -

Ole Munk

Hi Philip

You will get nowhere just searching for a Bertel Kjærulf, there are too many. Bertel was a very common name amongst the Kærulfs.

I took a look a this site: http://protokoller.dk/, where Hans Gjedsted has made index for a lot of old sources for Aalborg and nearby shires.

If you look at the first protokol: Aalborg by, tingbog 1625-1701. Download the CSV file. You will find this from row 25793:

1661-06-25   096a   Bertelsen Jens   Amsterdam   Jensen Bertel   Gøl   arv e. mor Johanne Ottesdatter på Gøl
1661-06-25   096a   Bertelsen Laust   Amsterdam   Jensen Bertel   Gøl   arv e. mor Johanne Ottesdatter på Gøl
1661-06-25   096a   Bertelsen Peder   Amsterdam   Jensen Bertel   Gøl   arv e. mor Johanne Ottesdatter på Gøl
The index actually says: On the 25th of June in 1661 (on pagina 96a) the three brothers Jens (Jan) Bertelsen, Laust (Laurs) Bertelsen, Peder (Peiter) Bertelsen living in Amsterdam are sueing their father Bertel Jensen living in Gøl (North vest of Aalborg) for inheritance after their mother Johanne Ottesdatter in Gøl.

Combined with your information, that the called themself Keerwolf in Amsterdam, I think it is a fact, that their father Bertel Jensen living in Gøl was a Kærulf.  I have been researching Kjærulf's for some years, but I have never come by a Bertel Jensen Kjærulf in Gøl. But the sources from that time in northern Jutland are few - the parish register from Gøl starts in 1684, so that won't help us.

No doubt, that Bertel Jensen (Kjærulf) born ca. 1600 and living after 1661 in Gøl was a Kjærulf. It is just difficult to "put him into" the known kjærulfs.

best regards
Ole Munk

Philip van Dael

Dag Ole,

Thank you very much!

This is good news which confirms several issues.

Laurs Bertels Keerwolf's first child, baptized Amsterdam 25-6-1662 was a Johanna. If the "rules" for naming children in Danmark also apply as they do in Holland, then the eldest daughter would be named after the mother's mother, in this case Johanne Ottesdatter.

But getting answers always raises new questions (I am sorry):

Is this a index to justitsprotokoller? What does "Aalborg By, tingbog" mean?  Is "Aalborg By"  a place/area in/near/around Aalborg? Is "tingbog" a register for registration of changing hands of houses and other real estate?
The content of this act could give more clues for further research. In which archive are these protokoller kept and is there a possibility of getting the content of this act?
The church registers of Gøl only start 1684, but are there other types of archives that cover the period before that time?

Best regards and again many thanks!
Philip van Dael

apisoccupata @ gmail.com

Citat fra: Ole Munk [368] Dato 25 Apr 2016 - 14:09
Hi Philip

You will get nowhere just searching for a Bertel Kjærulf, there are too many. Bertel was a very common name amongst the Kærulfs.

I took a look a this site: http://protokoller.dk/, where Hans Gjedsted has made index for a lot of old sources for Aalborg and nearby shires.

If you look at the first protokol: Aalborg by, tingbog 1625-1701. Download the CSV file. You will find this from row 25793:

1661-06-25   096a   Bertelsen Jens   Amsterdam   Jensen Bertel   Gøl   arv e. mor Johanne Ottesdatter på Gøl
1661-06-25   096a   Bertelsen Laust   Amsterdam   Jensen Bertel   Gøl   arv e. mor Johanne Ottesdatter på Gøl
1661-06-25   096a   Bertelsen Peder   Amsterdam   Jensen Bertel   Gøl   arv e. mor Johanne Ottesdatter på Gøl
The index actually says: On the 25th of June in 1661 (on pagina 96a) the three brothers Jens (Jan) Bertelsen, Laust (Laurs) Bertelsen, Peder (Peiter) Bertelsen living in Amsterdam are sueing their father Bertel Jensen living in Gøl (North vest of Aalborg) for inheritance after their mother Johanne Ottesdatter in Gøl.

Combined with your information, that the called themself Keerwolf in Amsterdam, I think it is a fact, that their father Bertel Jensen living in Gøl was a Kærulf.  I have been researching Kjærulf's for some years, but I have never come by a Bertel Jensen Kjærulf in Gøl. But the sources from that time in northern Jutland are few - the parish register from Gøl starts in 1684, so that won't help us.

No doubt, that Bertel Jensen (Kjærulf) born ca. 1600 and living after 1661 in Gøl was a Kjærulf. It is just difficult to "put him into" the known kjærulfs.

best regards
Ole Munk

Ole Munk

Hi Philip

There seems to be the same "rules for naming" children in Denmark and in Holland.

Yes, it is a kind of index to justitsprotokoller. Tingbog is just a daily name for justitsprotokol.

Aalborg by is and old expression and in daily speaking, it is the same as Aalborg (City).

Aalborg by, tingbog protokols are kept in the "Rigsarkivet, Viborg Branch". Unfortunately the protokol you need  are not scanned, so you will have to visit the archive to read it. Or get someone to take a photo of the relevant pages.

You can see the volumes here:
https://www.sa.dk/daisy/fysiske_enheder_liste?a=&b=&c=%C3%A5lborg+byfoged&d=1&e=2016&f=&g=&h=&ngid=521856&ngnid=521858&heid=3208146&henid=3208146&epid=3208146&faid=11&meid=&m2rid=&side=1&sort=&dir=&gsc=&int=&ep=&es=&ed=

Another relevant item would be the "Tingbog for Hvetbo herred" which is the Justitsprotokol for Hvetbo Shire in which Gøl/Gjøl resides. Nørgaard Pedersen has made an index for it - I have just browsed through it, without finding anything. I will send it to you.

Best regards
Ole