Search for my Danish Grandfather Aage Sansted Thomsen

Startet af Jean Stewart, 21 Maj 2016 - 02:21

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jean Stewart

My name is Jean Stewart. I live in Australia and was born in South Africa. My Danish Grandfather Aage Sansted Thomsen was born in Denmark around 1890-95. He moved to South Africa around 1915- 1920 where my Mother Jean Stewart (maiden name Thomsen) was born. My Danish Grandfather had a sister Elisa (or Lisa) and a brother Poul. He married Margeret Dey in South Africa. They had two children - one my mother Jean.
I will be visiting Denmark (Copenhagen) in July this year (2016) and would very much like to discover any relatives of my Grandfather! I remember all the Danish influence when I was growing up in Johannesburg South Africa.
Tak!
Jean Stewart

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Fåborg    Barløse

Jean Stewart

Re Search for my Danish Grandfather Aage Sansted Thomsen:
Firstly to Paul Londahl-Smidt for two postings:
Good Day Paul!
Your information is absolutely correct! These are the birth and other details of my Grandfather! His wife Margaret was born in Scotland!
It is absolutely amazing I have had a response so quickly!
What I would so like to pursue now is the following generations: the children of his siblings (who would be my Mother's generation - my Mother is now deceased) and THEIR children, who would be Baby Boomers like me and my sister!
Tak and with much appreciation.....
Jean Stewart

Secondly to Stina Kirkegaard Hansen for your posting:
Good Day Stina
Once again, your information about my Grandfather's brother and sister is absolutely correct! I remember as a very small child meeting Uncle Frederik.... he had flowing white hair! We did also visit his sister in Copenhagen, and she cooked us a most delicious meal. As indicated above, I should so much like to move down the generations: the children of my Grandfather's siblings, and their children (who will be around my age - 65). They may still be in Denmark, and I will be visiting in July this year!
Thank you so much for your speedy reply too..... Tak and with much appreciation....
Jean Stewart

PS TO PAUL AND STINA: I AM STILL JUST LEARNING HOW TO USE THE FORUM, NOT SURE HOW TO REPLY INDIVIDUALLY TO EACH OF YOU!

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Hi Jean,

You replied exactly correctly.  Here is the death of Methilde Angelica Thomsen in Sankt Paul sogn, København.  http://www.danishfamilysearch.dk/sogn660/churchbook/source21424/opslag4341943
Fåborg    Barløse

Jean Stewart

Thank you again Paul for last posting! Am not sure where Methilde Thomsen would fit in.... whose sibling she would have been.... I am trying to understand sheet: would she have died 1931?
Tak
Jean

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Hi Jean from rainy North Carolina, USA,

Here is Angelica in the 1860 census with her parents.
All persons in the household

København, København (Staden), Klædebo Kvarter, Krystalgade 53/9, Forhuset, Kjælderen, 330, FT-1860, D6863
Name:     Age:     Marital status:       Position in household:       Occupation:       Birth place:
Niels Johan Frederik Sandsted    42    Gift    Skomagermester. Husfader       Kjøbenhavn
Lovise Sandsted f. Güthler    37    Gift    hans Kone       Kjøbenhavn
Angelica Mathilde Sandsted    9    Ugift    deres Barn       Kjøbenhavn
Camila Lovise Frederikke Sandsted    3    Ugift    deres Barn       Kjøbenhavn
Waldemar Julius Sandsted    1    Ugift    deres Barn       Kjøbenhavn

and Niels Johan Frederik Sandsted and wife in the 1850 census

København, København (Staden), Købmager Kvarter, Købmager III, Gothersgade 341, 1ste sahl, 687, FT-1850, B6922
Name:     Age:     Marital status:       Position in household:       Occupation:       Birth place:
Niels Johan Frederik Sandsted    32    Gift       skomagermester    Kjøbenhavn
Luise Güthler    26    Gift       ---    Dito

and as a widower in the 1880 census

København, København (Staden), Fiolstræde, Klædebo Kvarter, Synagogens Rode, 216 og 33 b, 1, FT-1880, D3034
Niels Johan Frederik Sandsted    61    Enkemand    Husfader    Skomagermester    København
Angelica Mathilde Sandsted    28    Ugift    Datter    Ansat ved kontorarbejde    København
Camilla Louise Frederikke Sandsted    22    Ugift    Datter    Bestyrer huset    København
Valdemar Julius Sandsted    20    Ugift    Søn    Tømrersvend    København
Fåborg    Barløse

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Hi Jean,

I found Frederik and wife in a 1945 item but I don't speak Danish so perhaps a kind Dane can tell us what it is.  He is in the upper right corner.  http://timarit.is/view_page_init.jsp?pageId=131014
Fåborg    Barløse

Jean Stewart

Hullo again Paul!
I had no idea you were in the USA - amazing - thought you would be in Denmark! Even before your latest postings I went back to your original first messages and realised where Angelika fits in - she was my Grandfather's Mother.
I will study your latest information very carefully!
Thank you once again ....... Jean Stewart (Adelaide Australia)

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Here is a 1912 register with A. Sandsted-Thomsen, probably Aage.  http://www.e-pages.dk/ingarkiv/56/8

Best regards to Down Under
Paul
Fåborg    Barløse

Jean Stewart

Thanks for this Paul... once again it fits! My Grandfather was an engineer - that was his profession when he moved to South Africa. This is an engineering journal you found, and the date of 1912 with the address (very hard to read, but I think it is Nordre Frihavnsgade) fits with your first document of my Grandfather, which showed the same address in 1913. Incredible. The 'mystery' still is the two subsequent sets/generations of offspring!
Best wishes
Jean

Inge Nissen

Hi Jean

Citat fra: Paul Løndahl-Smidt [17618] Dato 22 Maj 2016 - 01:41
Hi Jean,

I found Frederik and wife in a 1945 item but I don't speak Danish so perhaps a kind Dane can tell us what it is.  He is in the upper right corner.  http://timarit.is/view_page_init.jsp?pageId=131014

F. Sandsted-Thomsen works as a clerk in Grønlands Styrelse = the agency of Greenland (in Copenhagen, I think)

Today no one in Denmark has the name Sandsted-Thomsen, and 15 has the name Sandsted as last name (no one is called Sansted) - according to Danmarks Statistik. (Thomsen = 39.117)

In www.krak.dk (telephone-register) I found about 8 with the name Sandsted, I can send you a list, if you want. 2 lives near Copenhagen.

Stina Kirkegaard Hansen

Former clerk Elisa Sandsted-Thomsen is mentioned under Deaths in Copenhagen in the news paper Politiken on the 17th of March 1957 (she could have died a couple of days before that though).  No further information, but it looks like she didnt marry.

- Stina

Stina Kirkegaard Hansen

And more from Politiken:
Frederik Sandsted-Thomsen dies the 20th of April 1968. His wife Ella signs the obituary.

-Stina

Jean Stewart

Good Day Inge!
Thank you very much for your posting. You are right - the correct spelling is Sansdted, as this tallies with the birth certificate that Paul Londahl-Smidt found. Yes, I should like the Sansdted list. Perhaps I should search Thomsen too?! From Stina Kirkegaard Hansen's posting, Elisa Sansdted Thomsen, my Grandfather's sister - did not marry/have children. This means my search for subsequent generations is down to the brother Frederik Sansdted Thomsen!
With much appreciation.... Tak! Jean Stewart

Hullo again Stina
The death of Elisa around 1957 sounds feasible. I wonder if she had any children despite not marrying? There is still the elusive Uncle Poul I am trying to fit in to the picture who I met in Nakskow round about 1963!
Tak for all your assistance!
Jean Stewart

Jean Stewart

Hullo Stina!
You must have been posting when I was replying!!! Frederik's death sounds feasible around that year too..... he is the one if he and Ella had any children - who will be the link to subsequent generations!!!
Tak!
Jean Stewart

Ellen Steen-Petersen

In the 1930 census there is the following entry for Nordre Frihavnsgade 68, 4:

Elisa Sandsted Thomsen. Feb. 2. 1885, Single
Frederik Sandsted Thomsen. Sep. 28 1891, Married 1924, No children
Ella Louise Sandsted Thomsen. Dec. 10 1898

Note at Frederik: Until Nov 15th without Apartment (Rebekkasvej 37,1)

Regards
Ellen

Ellen Steen-Petersen

Hi Jean
If you are looking for a 'Poul', I think he might be a cousin.

Your grandfather's mother, had a brother, Valdemar, b. Jul 8. 1859.
Valdemar Julius Sandsted is listed here with his wife:
http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/component/sfup/?controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=2474044&searchname=polit_simple

One of his children is Aage Axel Valdemar Sandsted, b. Feb 3 1888:
http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/component/sfup/?controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=2474042&searchname=polit_simple

In the 1930 Census, Aage Sandsted is listed with his Family at Asminderødgade 19:
Aage Axel Valdemar Sandsted, Feb. 2. 1888, København, Married 1910, 6 children
Frederikke Vilhelminde Marie Sandsted, May 10 1887, København
Elna Sandsted, Feb 1. 1912
Viggo Sandsted, Jul. 9. 1913
Karen Margrethe Sandsted, Aug. 29 1915
Svend Aage Sandsted, Nov. 22. 1916
Poul Sandsted, Sep. 4. 1923
/Ellen

Ellen Steen-Petersen

I think this is your grandfather in 'Kraks Blå Bog 1957' - which is the Danish WHO is WHO..

http://www.rosekamp.dk/Kraks_BB_1957/T.htm#THOMSEN Aage Sandsted ingeniør

THOMSEN Aage Sandsted ingeniør, R., Chr. X Fr. M.; f. 11/11 1882 i Kbhvn.; søn af snedkermester Jens Thomsen (død 1928) og hustru Angelica f. Sandsted (død 1905); gift (30/4 1919) m. Margaret T. (dekoreret med Chr. X Fr.M.), f. 19/8 1898 1 Botriphnie, Banffshire, Skotland, datter af arkitekt, bygmester, borgmester Frank Dey (død 1935) og hustru Jean f. Mac Donald (død 1945).
Udgået fra Teknisk skole i Kbhvn. 1905; ansat som ingeniør hos F L Smidth & Co. til 1914 og arbejdede for dette firma fortrinsvis med bygning og montering af cementfabrikker i udlandet; var i Syd-Rhodesia i 1914 og fik s. å. ansættelse i Pretoria Portland Cement Co. Ltd., planlagde og ledede opførelsen af store udvidelser for selskabet i det vestlige Transvaal; overtog derefter ledelsen af Cement Compagniets samlede produktion og forblev i firmaets tjeneste til 1934; stiftede s. å. Anglo-Alpha Cement Ltd., generaldir. for dette Selskab til 1946.
Certifikat fra South African Technical College som Mechanical Engineer 1917 og som Electricail Engineer 1918; medl. af South African Institution of Mechanical Engineers 1937.
Æresmedlem af Dansk Forening i Johannesburg, foreningens formand i årene 1937-38-39-40 og 42; formand for »Den frie danske Bevægelse i Syd-Afrika« u. den anden verdenskrig.
Adresse: »Rolighed«, 11 Talton Rd.,
Forest Town, Johannesburg, South Africa.

It states (freely translated)
THOMSEN Aage Sandsted, Engineer, born Nov 11th 1882 in Copenhagen as son of Carpenter Jens Thomsen (death 1928) and wife Angelica nee Sandsted (death 1905). Married April 30th 1919 to Margaret T. born Aug 19th 1898 in Botriphnie, Banffshire, Scotland, daugther of architect, entrepreneur and mayor Frank Dey (death 1935) and wife Jean nee Mac Donald (death 1945).
He graduated from Technical College in Copenhagen 1905. Employeed as a engineer with F L Smidth & Co to 1914 and worked for this Company primarily with Construction and assembly of cement factories abroad; Was in South Rhodesia in 1914 and became employeed the same year at Pretoria Portland Cement Co. Ltd. Planned and managed the construction of large extension of the company in the western Transvaal. Took over the management of the total production of the cement Company. Stayed employeed with this Company until 1934. Establised this year Anglo-Alpha Cement Ltd. Director general for this Company until 1946.
Certificate from South African Technical College as Mechanial Engineer 1917 and as Electricail Engineer 1918; member of South African Institution of Mechanical Engineers 1937.
Member of honour of the Danish Society in Johannesburg, chairman of the society in 1937-38-39-40 and 42; Chairman of »The free Danish Movement in South-Africa« during the 2nd World War.
Address: »Rolighed«, 11 Talton Rd., Forest Town, Johannesburg, South Africa.

/Ellen

Ellen Steen-Petersen

Valdemar Sandsted had 6 children - there was only 5 living with him and his wife in the 1930 census.
The last child is also in the 1930 census with his wife, at Gartnergade 4, 1 in Copenhagen:

Kaj Sandsted, Jul 29. 1910, Copenhagen, married 1930, no children
Adr. Nov 5th 1929: Asminderødgade 19.
Maggie Sandsted, Dec 20. 1907, Copenhagen
Adr. Nov 5th 1929: Nørrebrogade 153B

/Ellen

Jean Stewart

Reply to Ellen Steen-Petersen:
Good Day Ellen!
Thank you so much for your postings: it is sad that Frederik too (like my Grandfather's sister Elise) did not have any children.... that could end the line?!!
The Who's Who description is absolutely my Danish Grandfather Aage Sansdted Thomsen. It fits in with everything concerning my immediate family. I remember visiting their home at Talton Road Forestown in Johannesburg South Africa, and experiencing so much of the Danish community! My Grandfather's engineering history fits too. My Great Grandfather on the Scottish side (Dey) became Mayor of Pretoria in South Africa.
You have also solved the 'mystery' of the cousin Poul!
As far as further relatives are concerned down the line, there was mention of another sibling along with my Grandfather Aage Sansdted Thomsen, Frederik, and Elise: Fanny?? (This is on the original birth certificate of Aage Sansdted Thomsen. A last hope?!!
With much appreciation... and Tak!
Jean Stewart

Ellen Steen-Petersen

Hi Jean
I tried looking for Fanny.
She is in the census of 1901 together with the rest of the Family in Sølvgade in Copenhagen.
But in the census of 1906 the Family is living at Haderslevgade - but no Fanny.
When I try searching in the records for first name and birth date (in case she has married) - nothing comes up.
But - not all records are searchable.
We might just have to look a little harder.

/Ellen

Ellen Steen-Petersen

Hi Jean
It seems the person who has this site is the granddaugther of Karen Margrethe Sandsted - one of your grandfathers cousines.

https://www.myheritage.com/person-1000011_136224001_136224001/aage-axel-valdemar-sandsted

/Ellen

John Damm Sørensen

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Hi Jean,

If you follow the family tree that John found you will find Camilla Madsen, who is a relative of yours, and her two sons, Markus Konstantin Hansen and Lukas Konstantin Hansen with their address and telephone number here.   http://118.dk/?where=Store+Valbyvej+208B%2C+4000+Roskilde

Now you know of three relatives in Denmark.

Cheers,
Paul
Fåborg    Barløse

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Hi Jean,

When you write to Camilla I would include you family tree going back to a common ancestor and her family tree going back to the same common ancestor.  I would also include your e-mail address and ask for hers.

Cheers,
Paul
Fåborg    Barløse

Jean Stewart

Hullo again to Paul and Ellen and now to John!
Thank you all for the latest postings.......  I will try to get my head around all this! As I understand it, this family is from the line of my Grandfather's uncle: Valdemar (brother of his mother Methilde Angelica Thomsen). Unfortunately my Grandfather's immediate line seems to have ended, as sister Elisa and brother Frederik had no children (other sibling Fanny may have died very young as records stop).
Going back to Valdemar (my Grandfather's uncle), one of his sons: Aage Axel Valdemar Sansdted (he would have been my Mother's first cousin?) had six children, including Poul and Karen.
From Karen comes daughter Annette (born 1948 -who would thus be the Baby Boomer generation of me and my sister) and thereafter her daughter Camille - born 1973 and has had two sons (could only see one name). This is as far as I've got.....!! If I have anything wrong so far, please let me know!

Paul, I cannot yet open the site of Camille's details .... I will keep trying!

With great appreciation to all of you... I am amazed all this information has happened in just a few days ....
Jean Stewart

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Hi Jean,

Their address is
Store Valbyvej 208B st.tv
St. Valby
4000 Roskilde
Denmark
Fåborg    Barløse

Jean Stewart

Thanks for this Paul - I have noted it. Additionally,  three Sandsted names in Copenhagen have been located: Jette Vibeke Sandsted, Flemming Sandsted and Charlotte Sandsted. I have tried what I have thought are their email addresses, but the mail delivery failed.
I am not sure if they have a link with my Danish relatives, but Sandsted is a rare name now in Denmark it seems.
With much appreciation and best wishes
Jean Stewart