Translation of Occupations and sentence

Startet af Lynn Christiansen, 05 Sep 2016 - 04:29

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lynn Christiansen

I received a reference that I need help translating the positions held by the individual during his life time. They are the positions boldened and underlined in the following.

Also, what does the sentence mean that I have enboldened and underlined?

From: https://da.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrik_Bille-Brahe_(stiftamtmand)
P. Brock, "Bille-Brahe, Henrik", i: C.F. Bricka (red.), Dansk Biografisk Lexikon, København: Gyldendal 1887-1905

Henrik Bille-Brahe (stiftamtmand)

Der er flere personer med dette navn, se Henrik Bille-Brahe.

Henrik Bille-Brahe (ved dåben Henrik Bille) (20. oktober 1709 på Ørumgård – 9. januar 1789) var en dansk godsejer og stiftamtmand, far til Preben Bille-Brahe.

Henrik Bille var søn af Axel Knudsen Bille og Sophie f. Seefeldt og blev født 20. oktober 1709 på Ørumgård i Jylland. Han blev assessor (dommer) i Hofretten 1732, hofjunker 1734, vicelandsdommer på Fyn og Langeland 1735, justitsråd 1736, etatsråd 1741, konferensråd 1747, Ridder af Dannebrog 1759, gehejmeråd 1766, stiftamtmand over Fyn og Langeland, amtmand over Odense, Dalum, Sankt Knuds og Rugård Amter 1767, var 1768-83 tillige amtmand i Assens og Hindsgavl Amter, blev gehejmekonferensråd 1779 og døde 9. januar 1789.

7. marts 1788 fik han patent på at føre slægten Brahes navn og våben, da han efter sin ældste ugifte søn Axel Frederik Bille-Brahes død 1787 tiltrådte stamhuset Hvedholm.

Han var gift med 1. gang (1740) Christiane Gregersdatter Juel (1705-1745), 2. gang (1752) Mette Johanne Reedtz, f. Arenfeldt (d. 1762), og 3. gang (1766) Caroline Agnese Raben (f. 1738, fik Ordenen de la fidélité 1767, d. 1810).

Efter sin fader arvede han Holbækgård, som han imidlertid solgte 1763, med sin anden frue fik han Palsgård, og 1784 købte han Egeskov.

Efterfulgte:  ?    Stiftsamtmand over Fyens Stift   1767 - 1789      Efterfulgtes af:  Friedrich von Buchwald[1]
Efterfulgte:  ?    Amtmand over Odensegård Amt  1767 - 1789      Efterfulgtes af:  Friedrich von Buchwald[1]
Efterfulgte:  ?    Amtmand over Dalum Amt  1767 - 1789      Efterfulgtes af:  Friedrich von Buchwald[1]
Efterfulgte:  ?    Amtmand over Sankt Knuds Amt  1767 - 1789   Efterfulgtes af:  Friedrich von Buchwald[1]
Efterfulgte:  ?    Amtmand over Rugård Amt  1767 - 1789      Efterfulgtes af:  Friedrich von Buchwald[1]
Efterfulgte:  ?    Amtmand over Assens Amt  1768 - 1783      Efterfulgtes af:  Ludvig Frederik Wedell-Wedellsborg
Efterfulgte:  ?    Amtmand over Hindsgavl Amt  1768 - 1783        Efterfulgtes af:  Ludvig Frederik Wedell-Wedellsborg

I have a translation for the information except for the bold and underlined data. Help in translation and an understanding of this sentence would be appreciated.

7. marts 1788 fik han patent på at føre slægten Brahes navn og våben, da han efter sin ældste ugifte søn Axel Frederik Bille-Brahes død 1787 tiltrådte stamhuset Hvedholm.

Thank you....
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Ole Westermann

With great help from my dictionary:

STIFTAMTMAND - chief administrative officer of an area coterminous with a diocese ('stift'), having certain administrative and judicial functions
in the corresponding diocese.
ASSESSOR/DOMMER - judge
HOFJUNKER - (young) nobleman at the Court
VICELANDSDOMMER - vicejudge at a regional kind of High Court (Landsret); a case/trial can from the local court be appealed to the Landsret, and from there in some cases to Højesteret (High Court)

JUSTITSRÅD - can be translated to: Counsellor
ETATSRÅD - titular Counsellor of State
KONFERENSRÅD - a high Danish title - advisor for the King in important matters - now obsolete
RIDDER AF DANNEBROG - Knight of the Danish National Flag (Dannebrog); a title of honour given by the King
GEHEJMERÅD - Privy Councillor; member of the Ministers of State, presided over by the King
AMTMAND - chief admistrative officer of an 'amt' (county)
GEHEJMEKONFERENSRÅD - a title leading to the 1. rank/class

7. marts 1788 fik han patent på at føre slægten Brahes navn og våben, da han efter sin ældste ugifte søn
Axel Frederik Bille-Brahes død 1787 tiltrådte stamhuset Hvedholm.

On March 7, 1788 he received monopoly to carry the family Brahe's name and scutcheon, when he after the death 1787 of his oldest unmarried son Axel Frederik Bille-Brahe 'entered' the house/estate Hvedholm.

I hope this is a help for the understanding.

Ole

Lynn Christiansen

Ole---thank you for the definitions, it appears he was a rather high ranking "official" or successful in the "legal" area.

Citat7. marts 1788 fik han patent på at føre slægten Brahes navn og våben, da han efter sin ældste ugifte søn
Axel Frederik Bille-Brahes død 1787 tiltrådte stamhuset Hvedholm.

On March 7, 1788 he received monopoly to carry the family Brahe's name and scutcheon, when he after the death 1787 of his oldest unmarried son Axel Frederik Bille-Brahe 'entered' the house/estate Hvedholm.

I would take from this the following:

On March 7 1788 he {Henrik Bille-Brahe} received authorization to use the name "Brahe" and its associated coat of arms as part of his identity and legal name. After the death of his oldest unmarried son Axel Frederik Bille-Brahe in 1787, "Henrik" obtained control of the estate known as Hvedholm and merged it with the property he already possessed.

Correct me if I am reading to much into this....or misinterpreting what you are saying

Again, thank you.

Ole Westermann

Lynn - I also understand it that way.

Lynn Christiansen