Need help with birth record for Anna Margarete Rasmusdatter

Startet af Linda Michelle Thérèsa de Bodt Rosenland, 07 Jan 2017 - 06:17

Forrige emne - Næste emne
Hello.  I have a birth record for an Anna Margarete Rasmusdatter which, when the mother is introduced back to church after the birth, the name is not what I was expecting (Maren).  Assistance with the translation of both entries would be greatly appreciated.

First: Birth of Anna Margarete Rasmusdatter
Frørup Sogn (Svendborg Amt)
1671-1724
Page 84/187 entry #13 20 Jun 1697
Father is Rasmus Madtzøn.

Second: Ellen? Rasmus Madtzøn wife returned to church?
Frørup Sogn (Svendborg Amt)
1671-1724
Page 84/187 entry for 18 Jul 1697
Husband is Rasmus Madtzøn.

Do I have two different Rasmus Madtzøn here?

Inge Hedal

Hello
Two women (qvinder) return to church 18 July. They are called by their own names, but are defined by their husbands' names:
Samme Dag blef Rasmus Madtzøns och Jørgen Christophersøns qvinder begge
i Frørup introducerede.

We often see that a woman's name is only mentioned when she is christened, and when she is married. The rest of the time she is called e.g. Peter Hansen's daughter or Jens Nielsen's wife or Anders Jensen's widow.

Inge

Citat fra: Inge Hedal [8569] Dato 07 Jan 2017 - 11:44
We often see that a woman's name is only mentioned when she is christened, and when she is married. The rest of the time she is called e.g. Peter Hansen's daughter or Jens Nielsen's wife or Anders Jensen's widow.

Inge

Thank you Inge.  I could not make sense of it.  It is frustrating trying to find the last name of the women when they are always wife to some husband but I suppose that is just how it was back then.  It is no different 300 years later when I am always so and so's mother or so and so's wife but rarely Rebecca.  :)