HELP - brick walls ahead!

Startet af Sue Thomson, 25 Mar 2017 - 12:28

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Sue Thomson

Hello from Australia! I am hoping that someone may be able to help me. I know that my gggrandfather came from Denmark - he was born about 1838 and came to Australia around 1854. He said he was born in Kiel, however I have had researchers search parish records in that area and they have come up with nothing. I now have a good DNA match with someone who has family coming from Denmark from Vesterby. Their family is a Soren Jensen, his parents Jens Knudsen and Maren Sorensdatter.
My gggrandfather's name is given as Lorence Johnson - maybe Lorenz Jensen? He states his father was William Johnson and mother Catherine Peter, neither very Danish so maybe he anglicised them for records here. I am hoping that someone may be able to help, it's really hard when you have no idea of parish names or geography! My mother's Gedmatch number is A056671 - she is the strongest match. Love to hear from anyone who could help. Maybe he came from Vesterby area originally - I know it's not a lot to go on but would really appreciate advice.
Sue

Inger Buchard

The names indicate an origin in the Duchy of Schleswig (from Kolding to Kiel - excluding both towns)

Go to http://www.ddd.dda.dk/soeg_person_selv_en.asp

I suggest you 'walk' throuth all counties of the census 1845 searching for
Wilhelm Jensen > 10 years
Lorenz/Laurs/Laurids .... Jensen
Katrine/Catharina/Trine Petersen/Petersdatter/Peterstochter/Pedersdatter

You may avoid to much tipping by using wildcarts:
_ for one letter
% for more letters

If the saying is 'Kiel' it might be in the area north of Kiel i. e. in the Duchy of Schleswig = Sydslesvig
The northern counties of the Duchy of Schleswig are:
Aabenraa
Haderslev
Tønder
Sønderborg

Inger
Redaktør på DIS-Wiki

Kirsten Tatt

- could it be 'Johansen'?

Samtlige personer i husstanden

Eckernförde, , Krusendorf, Dorf Krusendorff, Tagelöhnerwohnung, 28 F2, FT-1845, C0511

Navn:  Alder:  Status:  Stilling i familien:  Erhverv:  Fødested:
Christina Rehmer   52   Witwe      Unterstützung theilweise   Gut Grönwold  
Wilhelm Johansen   10   Unverheir.      ihr Kind   Gut Grönwold  
Lena Lütje   45   Witwe      Unterstützung theilweise   Gut Borghorst  
Augusta Horst   12   Unverheir.      ihre Kinder   Gut Noer  
Johann Horst   1.??   Unverheir.      ihre Kinder   Gut Noer  

http://www.ddd.dda.dk/soeg_person_enkel.asp

Kirsten

Ellen Steen-Petersen

Hello Sue.

According to Ancestry there is a Lorence Johnson born on March 15th 1835 in Kiel, Denmark (the birth date is from his naturalization papers). According to the same papers he emigrated to Australia in 1850 and lived in Violet town in Victoria.

Is this the person you are looking for? (It does help to have the exact birthdate).

Regards
Ellen

Sue Thomson

Hello Ellen

Yes, that is indeed my 2nd g grandfather.
On his naturalisation papers he says he arrived in Australia from London in 1852, and yes, he says he was born 15th April 1835.
Elsewhere he lists his father as William Johnson and mother Catherine Peter, and he also said he had been naturalised British but had lost his papers.
Regards
Sue

Helmer Christiansen

Kiel has never been a town in Denmark. Kiel is a town i Holstein. In 1835 the Danish king was also duke of Holstein, and the Duchy of Holstein (1474-1866) was a member of the German Confederation (1815-1866).
Helmer Christiansen
2000 F