Translation help,please

Startet af John Folkins, 25 Maj 2017 - 04:52

Forrige emne - Næste emne

John Folkins

Hello everyone,
Please help me with the entry for Sven Nygaard,born Oct. 20,1916 in  Barlose,Odense.
Father's name?
Was he later adopted by Peder Martin Larsen?
What does the writing under Sven Nygaards name signify?

Thank you.https://www.danishfamilysearch.com/sogn803/churchbook/source1125/opslag342271

John Damm Sørensen

Hi John,

The name of the father is not mentioned. Only mentioned is that the mother currently stays at farmer Peder Hansens place.

The addition of the last name "Larsen" originates from the the mothers husband but he did not adopt merely allowed the child to use his last name.

The text:

Larsen corrected according to circular of October 27 1908 and article 11 of the law number 130 of May 27 1908. The child's mother married the farmer Peter Martin Larsen on October 22 1920.

In Denmark only the laws are binding for the public. Circulars are merely administrative directives issued by higher level authorities to entities lower in the hierachi. I am not sure what exactly this circular regulates.

Best
John

John Folkins

Citat fra: John Damm Sørensen [1492] Dato 25 Maj 2017 - 08:29
Hi John,

The name of the father is not mentioned. Only mentioned is that the mother currently stays at farmer Peder Hansens place.

The addition of the last name "Larsen" originates from the the mothers husband but he did not adopt merely allowed the child to use his last name.

The text:

Larsen corrected according to circular of October 27 1908 and article 11 of the law number 130 of May 27 1908. The child's mother married the farmer Peter Martin Larsen on October 22 1920.

In Denmark only the laws are binding for the public. Circulars are merely administrative directives issued by higher level authorities to entities lower in the hierachi. I am not sure what exactly this circular regulates.

Best
John

Thank you John.

John Damm Sørensen

Hi John,

I got hold of the circular and it mainly asks the bishops to make the priest aware of article 11 in Law 130. In particular the priests no longer have to involve the ministry about the change of a foster child's name. Instead they should make make references to Law 130 of May 27 1908 like it was done in your case.

Article 11 defines what documentation is needed if a mother wants to change a child's last name to that of its stepfather.

Best
John