Not sure as to what this is, but his name is my 4th great grandfather

Startet af Lynn Christiansen, 02 Aug 2017 - 19:14

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lynn Christiansen

I located this Torloverattester in Århus/Framlev/Harlev parish 1694 - 1806 image 167 left page 2nd entry. Individuals are Jens Mortensen (my 4th GGGdFather) and Ane Kirstine Pedersdatter (his 2nd wife)

https://www.danishfamilysearch.com/sogn150/churchbook/source139881/opslag15407268

I am not sure as to what I have and I am hesitant to hazard a guess for a transcription.

Would someone please review this entry and provide a transcription and possible translation?

Thank you very much.

RIN 25900
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Christian Konstmann Autzen

Yes, it's widow (= enkemand) Jens Mortensen who marries (the engagement) Ane Kirstine Pedersdatter. Have you found his first wife's death? Just to ensure this.

Greetings
Christian
Min slægt: Autzen, Konstmann, Nansen, Hegelund, Sønberg, Matzen, Schmidt, Kruse, Wolf. Min hustru's slægt: Mærsk, Fogh, Møller, Hark, Lund, Aaskou, Blom, Dethlefsen, Beyer, Troels Winther.

Lynn Christiansen

Thank you Christian--

I have the Death entry for his 1st wife Ane Sørensdatter, my 4th Great Grandmother. She died 9 Nov 1800 in Harlev.

This is my attempt at a transcription of the engagement entry. I was trying to determine if there were any information contained therein that might pertain to the first marriage, especially since the time between the death of Ane Sørensdatter and the engagement to Ane Pedersdatter was less than a year apart.

Som tovlovere ?? ?? ?? ægteskab ?? Enkemanden ??
Jens Mortensen af Harlevholm, og Gaardmand Peder Jensen af Taastrup
Senen datter Ane Kirstine Pedersdatter, som ægte ?? ?? ??
?? ?? ??, indstaae ?? Niels Jensen
Og Peder Knudsen, begge Gaardmand af Taastrup, som ?? at
?? ??, at ?? ?? til hinder ? med ?? ægteskabe ??
?? ??; ?? Harlev ?gaard af 2 Sept 1801
Signed:
Jens Mortensen        Niels Jensen
Peder Jensen             Peder Knudsen

Marriage entry located at: http://www.danishfamilysearch.com/sogn150/churchbook/source139881/opslag15407261

Karin Andersen

Hej Lynn  :)

Here is my translation:

Som tovlovere for det beslutteed (=besluttede) ægteskab imellem Enkemanden Selveyer (=selvejer)
Jens Mortensen af Harlevholm, og Gaardmand Peder Jensen af Taastrup
hans Datter Ane Kirstine Pedersdatter, som agter med Vielse fuldbyr:
ekte, saasnart muligt indestaar vie Underskrevne Niels Jensen
og Peder Knudsen, begge Gaardmand af Taastrup, som forsikker (=forsíkrer) at
være ansuarlige (=ansvarlige), at intet er til hinder mod med ekte (=ægte) Ægteskabs Lov
lige fuldbyrdelse Harlev, tilstaaer Harlev Præstegaard den 2. Sept. 1801
Signed:
Jens Mortensen        Niels Jensen
Peder Jensen           Peder Knudsen

Kind regards  :)

Karin
Rhode-listen. ca. 650 personer findes under "Slægtshistorier" https://www.slaegtogdata.dk/forum/index.php/topic,118658.0.html

Lynn Christiansen

Thank you. Both responses have helped in clarifying my misunderstandings and dilemma.

Again thank you for your assistance :) :).

Grethe Leerbech

Hi Lynn
If he had small children it was very necessary to marry quick, also it was necessary to have a "madmoder" in the farm=a wife to take care of everything concerning womans work at the farm and also to feed the people there. 
The wife had a huge work and with the coordinations of it in farms. And a selfowner as your 4th Gfather probably had a whole production of everything at the farm, milk, butter, honey, cheese, beer, to can fruit and vegetables, the grat washday for clothes and also to help with the harvest, to milk the cows, take care of the hens, geese etc, to smoke meat ( and fish) for the winter, make sausages etc. when they slaughter,  also the homeproduction of clothes and different materials for the household  etc.

Therefore one didn't care so much for the 1 year mourning-it happened mostly in the cities where one had servants, maids and childrenmaids. 

Hilsner
Grethe
Thyholm,Vang, Gislum,Hornum,Hindsted, Slet, Års i Aalborg a. Ginding,Ringkøbing a.Rinds, Fjends,Hindborg,Viborg a. Nybøl, Sottrup,Sønderbog a.sogne i Tyskland, Sunds,Svendborg a.Tuse,Års,Løve i Holbæ

Lynn Christiansen

Grete---

Thank you for the background information.

With his first wife, he had 4 children that I have been able to locate thus far. The youngest being 4 years old when his first wife died. Hence, with what you said, I can see why he might want to get married as soon as possible. He went on to have an additional 8 children with his 2nd wife.

Being born in the USA into a Danish family that were craftsmen I was not exposed to the daily deeds of a farmer's wife, although from the information that you provided my mother fit quite well in that climate. We had 5 acres of land, 300 chickens, 3 cows, raised corn, hay, and had an orchard. Mom kept the acreage farm running pretty smoothly while dad plied his trade at remodeling homes, constructioning new ones and keeping us kids in line.

Again, thank you for the insight...