Was there an epidemic in 1802?

Startet af Roger Nelson, 07 Okt 2017 - 03:07

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Roger Nelson

I found that 3 members of one family living in Nørre Tranders, Aalborg amt died in April and May of 1802.  Was the an epidemic (small pox or influenza) in Denmark at that time?
Rog

Ole Westermann

Looking in Nørre Tranders among the buried at that time does not reveal anything about death causes.
There was not as far as I know an epidemic in Denmark, but if small pox etc started in a parish, it could
cause rather high letality, especially among children, during a couple of months.

mvh Ole

Roger Nelson

Hi Ole, Mange tak!

After doing numerous searches I finally came across an answer today by searching "Vaccinations in Denmark."  According to that website Denmark was hit by a severe smallpox epidemic in the early 1800s.  The first vaccinations began as early as 1801 in Denmark but the statute requiring vaccinations did not become law until 4 Mar 1810.   I did not find any record of vaccinations in Nørre Tranders sogn from 1754-1807 and, as you said, there is no cause of death in the burial records from that time period.  It is quite possible that Karen Olesdatter, age 9; her sister Maren, age 11; and their mother, Maren Madsdatter, all died of smallpox in Utterup bye in April and May of 1802.
Kindest regards, Rog