Translation of birth record Jacob Andersen, image 31, right side, next to bottom

Startet af Claude Anders Hanson, 04 Nov 2017 - 23:21

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Claude Anders Hanson

https://www.danishfamilysearch.com/sogn1944/churchbook/source23399/opslag14569641

Could someone please translate into English the entire birth record for Jacob Andersen?  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks, Claude

Lynn Christiansen

Claude---

Here is my attempt, someone will have to correct it and fill in the ?? areas, especially the date  and spelling ot the places.

Year: 1796
?? Søndag N: K:
Jacob, Anders Pedersens Sohn af ?
Hellegaard, samt hjemmedøbt (partial word missing)
Tig ?? I Sæby kirken
Baaren af Maren JacobsDatter
Sæby. Fadderen vare: Peder
Jacobsen paa Dalstrup, Niels Pe=
dersen I ?? , Peder
Jensen, Ane PedersDatter, begge
paa Nøreng ?

?? Sunday N:K: ??
Jacob, the son of Anders Pedersen from Hellegaard, was baptized at home {then presented ?} in the Sæby church. The child was presented by Maren Jacobsdatter from Sæby. The witnesses were Peder Jacobsen from Dalstrup, Niels Pedersen from ??, Peder Jensen and Ane Pedersdatter, residences of Nøreng ?

I am wondering where the child was baptized at home if the "baaren af Maren Jacobsdatter" means that she is the mother rather than the 'godmother'. A question for someone to possibly detail.

What do the abbreviations in the date mean?
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Inge Hedal

Midfaste Søndag N. K. (= Nautrup Kirke)

Jacob, Anders Pedersens Søn af
Hellegaard, hans Hiemmedaab of(fent)-
lig bekiendtgiort i Sæbye Kirke
Baaren af Maren Jacobs Datter
i Sæbye. Fadderne vare: Peder
Jacobsen fra Dalstrup, Niels Pe-
dersen i Junget, Peder
Jensen, Ane Peders Datter, begge
fra Nissum

Laetare Sunday N. K. (= Nautrup Kirke)
Jacob, the son of Anders Pedersen from
Hellegaard, had been baptized at home, and this baptism was now announced in the Sæby church.
The child was presented by Maren Jacobsdatter
from Sæby. The witnesses were Peder
Jacobsen from Dalstrup, Niels Pe-
dersen from Junget, Peder
Jensen and Ane Pedersdatter, both of them
from Nissum.

I am wondering where the child was baptized at home if the "baaren af Maren Jacobsdatter" means that she is the mother rather than the 'godmother'. A question for someone to possibly detail.
Very often a child was baptized at home because of weakness or illness – an emergency baptism. According to the law (Danske Lov, 1683) a child must be baptized before it is 8 days old. The emergency baptism is made publicly known (bekiendtgiort) in the church as soon as possible, and the child is carried by its godmother. The birth mother is not present. She cannot go to church until five or six weeks after the delivery.

Jacob's mother is called Maren Jacobsdatter, but she is not the only one in the parish by this name, cf. census.

What do the abbreviations in the date mean?
https://www.danishfamilysearch.com/sogn1944/churchbook/source23399/opslag14569611

Inge

Claude Anders Hanson

Thanks Lynn and Inge - and by the way, Inge - when I brought up the cite you gave to help understand abbreviations, all I got was page 1 of the churchbook.  Is that what you meant to send? 

Claude

Inge Hedal

Yes, it was. I wanted to show you the names of the three parishes.
Inge

Claude Anders Hanson

Inge:  Oh, I did notice that and hadn't noticed it before.... so thanks!  Claude