Jens Lauritsen Staugaard (1716-1797)

Startet af Linda Michelle Thérèsa de Bodt Rosenland, 23 Nov 2017 - 19:39

Forrige emne - Næste emne
Hello.

Jens Lauritsen Staugaard (Stougård) is my 5th great-grandfather.  He was born around 1716-1719 and was married to Mette Rasmudatter (she died 26 Apr 1783 in Klakring).  On the 1787 Census he is age 71 and living in Klakring with his daughter Anne Jensdatter Staugaard (m Jens Nielsen Falster).  At death in Klakring in 1797 he is supposedly age 77. 

In the Klakring, parish transcripts (1715-1740) I find:
1720 - 7 s e trin Laurits Stougårds barn døbt navnlig Jens, gudmoder Envold Rasmussens datter faddere Christen Jørgensen, Knud Stougård Anne Michels.

Then:
1720 - samme dag (9 se Trin) Laurits Stougårds barn døbt begravet

Does this mean that Jens died shortly after being born?  If so, this cannot be my Jens because I do not find another Jens born to Laurits Staugaard in Klakring.

Marriage to Mette Rasmusdatter 9 p Trin 1756 Klakring: https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?bsid=159776#159776,26863761

Census: 1787 Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark
Jens Nielsen     30     Gift     Mand     Bonde og Gaard Beboer      
Anne Jensdatter     30     Gift     Kone           
Jens Laursen     71     Enke     Konens Fader           
Karen Jensdatter     15     -     Tieneste Pige           
Kirsten Mikkelsdatter     37     Enke     Indsidder           
Anmarie Olesdatter     10     -     Hendes Børn           
Maren Olesdatter     6     -     Hendes Børn 

When I search the place name database I find 2 possible birth locations:
Stovgård, Dybbøl, Nybøl, Sønderborg, Denmark
OR
Stovgård, Møborg, Skodborg, Ringkøbing, Denmark

I must be looking at the wrong areas because I do not find Stovgård and Sønderborg does not appear to be a county but a parish?  Or is Aabenraa-Sonderborg Amt the same thing as Sonderborg county?

Grethe Leerbech

Hi Rebecca

My family comes from Stougaard/Staugaard/Stovgaard, Dybøl, Sønderborg. Staugaard is a smal place with a farm and 3 farmhouses. The farm in 1700 is rented by 2 farmers.

My Ancestor is Nis Nissen Staugaard - I have no dates for him  except that he should be from Warnitz/Varnisse and he lived in Staugaard, was married with Dorthea  Nisses 1691-1757

Their child is Niss Nissen Staugaard  born ca. 1733. died 1801  I haven't found any more children 

But Your ancestor Laurits could be a child of Niss Staugaard, And maybe he could be found in Dybøl churchbook -but I havn't

In 1740 there also lived a Jens Persen in Staugaard.

The chruchbook from Dybøl is awful the priest have written it in bad mannor, and it is very difficult to read.

One could look in Chr. 5 Matrikel from 1688 to see who lived in Staugaard, but it doesent give the name of children. I havn't lokked there -yet
Thyholm,Vang, Gislum,Hornum,Hindsted, Slet, Års i Aalborg a. Ginding,Ringkøbing a.Rinds, Fjends,Hindborg,Viborg a. Nybøl, Sottrup,Sønderbog a.sogne i Tyskland, Sunds,Svendborg a.Tuse,Års,Løve i Holbæ

Citat fra: Grethe Leerbech [814] Dato 26 Nov 2017 - 13:11
One could look in Chr. 5 Matrikel from 1688 to see who lived in Staugaard, but it doesent give the name of children. I havn't lokked there -yet

Hi Grethe.  Thank you so much for that information.  It gives me something to work with.

When you say 'Chr 5 Matrikel' what is this?  I am not familiar with that.

The thing I am most concerned about is that I have the following children born to a Laurs Staugaard and Anne Rasmusdatter.

Birth of Son Laurs Lauritsen Staugaard(1706–)
1 Jan 1706 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Birth of Son Rasmus Lauritsen Staugaard(1708–)
14 Oct 1708 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Birth and Death of Son Stillborn Lauritsen Staugaard(1711–1711)
22 Nov 1711 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Birth of Son Olluf Lauritsen Staugaard(1712–1723)
30 Oct 1712 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Birth of Daughter Maren Lauritsdatter Staugaard(1715–1716)
1 Dec 1715 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Death of Daughter Maren Lauritsdatter Staugaard(1715–1716)
26 Jan 1716 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Birth of Son Jens Lauritsen Staugaard(1716? 1720?–1797)
Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

1720 - 7 s e trin Laurits Stougårds barn døbt navnlig Jens, gudmoder Envold Rasmussens datter faddere Christen Jørgensen, Knud Stougård Anne Michels.

1720 - samme dag (9 se Trin) Laurits Stougårds barn døbt begravet

Death of Son Olluf Lauritsen Staugaard(1712–1723)
before 1723 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Birth of Son Olluf Lauritsen Staugaard(1723–)
22 Aug 1723 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

I could only find a birth of Jens Lauritsen in 1720 to a father named Laurs but it looks like that Jens died very soon after birth.  It is possible that the other children that I found are not related directly (ie: siblings) to my Jens at all.  

In the probate records for Boller here: https://www.brejl.dk/bjerre.html
279 Anne Rasmusdatter i Bjerre. 28.4.1755, fol.197B.
E: Jens Lauridsen. B: Mads 28, Rasmus 26, Søren 19.

This seems to indicate that there was no Jens that survived past 1755 for this couple.

Citat fra: Rebecca Johnson [32640] Dato 27 Nov 2017 - 17:35

In the probate records for Boller here: https://www.brejl.dk/bjerre.html
279 Anne Rasmusdatter i Bjerre. 28.4.1755, fol.197B.
E: Jens Lauridsen. B: Mads 28, Rasmus 26, Søren 19.

This seems to indicate that there was no Jens that survived past 1755 for this couple.

This looks like the wrong couple.  It should be Laurs as the widower...not Jens.

My Jens Lauritsen Staugaard (1716-1797) was married to Mette Rasmusdatter (1733-1783).

15 Aug 1756 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark
Dom 9 p trin Jens Lauridsen Stougård og Mette Rasmusdatter trolovede, deres forlovere var Niels Midser og Morten Nielsen, begge af Klakring

Marriage
28 Nov 1756 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark
Dom 1 adv. Jens Lauridsen Stougård og Mette Rasmusdatter copulerede.

Helmer Christiansen

During the reign of King Christian the 5th a survey was made of the whole kingdom of Denmark, except the island of Bornholm. The value of the land was assessed and the result of that survey was used as the basis of the taxation of real estate until 1844.

Dybbøl, Sønderborg was not included in the survey.

Dybbøl, Sønderborg was until the Danish-Schleswig Civil War in 1864, part of the Duchy of Schleswig, where the Danish King was the Duke. From 1866-1920, all Schleswig became part of the German kingdom of Prussia.

After the First World War, the northern part of Schleswig voted to become part of Denmark.
Helmer Christiansen
2000 F

Grethe Leerbech

Hi Rebecca

First. Staugaard or Stougaard is a farm in Klakring where your ancestors lived.

In the beginning of 1700 there are 4 brotheres:
Mickel Sørensen in Staugaard who married Mette (Page 7)
Knud Sørensen in Staugaard who married Kirsten Mortensdatter
Peder Staugaard who married Maren Knudsdatter -and moved to Øllegaard.
and Laurits Sørensen in staugaard who married Mette Rasmusdatter

here are Laurits children:
page ?                                                                   Jørgen 1705
opslag/page 16                                                     Rasmus  1707
opslag 28/ page 28                                               Child born and dead
opslag 32  -                                                           Oluf 1712
Opslag 45                                                              Maren 1715  -dies 7 weeks -same oplsag
Opslag 66                                                              Laurits  1720
opslag 67                                                               child dead - no name or age- probably   Oluf  1721
opslag 79                                                               Oluf 1723
opslag 110                                                             Jørgen dies  24 years.

the child who dies in 1721 I am nearly sure it is Oluf, as the next child they give birth they call Oluf again, and that was the custum in that days, that when a child died the next born child should have the dead childs name

Knuds children are.

Laurs  oplslg 47   1716
Mette      -       64   1719
morten   -        81    1724

When your Laurits marries in Klakring we have:

Søren Staugård...I haven't found him born , but there are missing corners and also pages i cannot read, so....
Rasmus Staugård born 179 the eldest brother
Ole Staugård  also oluf  1723
Jens Staugård. 1720 

But there is no doubt  that Søren, Rasmus and Ole are Brotheres of Jens.

Jens children are:

1757  Laurs
Rasmus
Jens
Ole
Jens and Jørgen twins 1764
Maren and Karen twins -- both died short after
and Karen Marie in 1769

and in 1761 Laurits mother dies 84 years old- she is mentioned as Søren Staugårds mother.

So i hope you are in the right way now.

Thyholm,Vang, Gislum,Hornum,Hindsted, Slet, Års i Aalborg a. Ginding,Ringkøbing a.Rinds, Fjends,Hindborg,Viborg a. Nybøl, Sottrup,Sønderbog a.sogne i Tyskland, Sunds,Svendborg a.Tuse,Års,Løve i Holbæ

Citat fra: Helmer Christiansen [917] Dato 27 Nov 2017 - 18:27

After the First World War, the northern part of Schleswig voted to become part of Denmark.

Helmer, thank you for explaining that.  I was actually just reading about this yesterday (catching up on the various links people post for me here).

Citat fra: Grethe Leerbech [814] Dato 28 Nov 2017 - 02:17
Jens children are:

1757  Laurs
Rasmus
Jens
Ole
Jens and Jørgen twins 1764
Maren and Karen twins -- both died short after
and Karen Marie in 1769

and in 1761 Laurits mother dies 84 years old- she is mentioned as Søren Staugårds mother.

So i hope you are in the right way now.

Hi Grethe,

I have more questions about the rest of your post but I wanted to ask does this mean that Laurits Sorensen Staugaard and his son Jens Lauritsen Staugaard *both* married women named Mette Rasmusdatter?  Laurits married his Mette around 1704 and his son Jens married his Mette 28 Nov 1756.

I posted this before in another post but in the 1753-1783 As/Klakring parish records I find the following:
Op 89 15 Aug 1756 Jens Lauritsen Staugaard is betrothed to Mette Rasmusdatter
(Dom 9 p trin Jens Lauridsen Stougård og Mette Rasmusdatter trolovede, deres forlovere var Niels Midser og Morten Nielsen, begge af Klakring)
Op 90 28 Nov 1756 Jens Staugaard married Mette Rasmusdatter
(Dom 1 adv. Jens Lauridsen Stougård og Mette Rasmusdatter copulerede)

These are the children that I have and I hope they are right because I have an Anne but you do not and it is Anne who is my direct relation.

Op 91 15 May 1757 Laurs Jensen is born/baptized
(5 s e påske Jens Stougårds barn døbt navnlig Laurs, susc Rasmus Stougårds hustru test Ole Stougård, Peder Michelsen, Jens Falster, Søren Stougårds hustru og Anne Knudes.)

Op 96 16 Apr 1759 Anne Jensdatter is born/baptized (my 4 times great grandmother who married Jens Nielsen Falster)
(2 pinsedag Jens Stougårds pigebarn døbt navnlig Anne, susc Niels Falsters kone  test Rasmus Knudsens datter Berthe, Antonis hustru, Ole Stougård.)

Op 103 11 Oct 1761 twins Rasmus and Kiersten are born/baptized
(Dom 21 p trin Jens Stougårds 2de børn navnlig Rasmus og Kirsten døbte, susc Søren Mogensens kone i Glud, Jens Vindelboes hustru, test Morten Pedersen og Thomas Pedersen af Barrit, Antonius, Ole Stougård, Peder Falsters søn Jens, Jens Rasmussens søn Rasmus og Morten Smeds datter Malene)

Op 110 26 Apr 1764 Jorgen is born/baptized [no twins that I can see??]
(samme dag Jens Stougårds drengebarn døbt navnlig Jørgen, susc Rasmus Knudsens datter Berthe, test Søren Stougård, Rasmus Stougård, Antoni Jacobsens søn Jacob og Jens Hansens datter Vivike)

Op 120 25 Mar 1768 twins Maren and Karen are born/baptized
(maria bebudelses dag Jens Stougårds 2de pigebørn døbte navnlig Maren og Karen susc Knud Rasmussens hustru og Jens Rasmussens hustru af Østrup, test Søren Stougård, Rasmus Stougård, Ole Stougård, Antoni Jacobsens datter Bodild, Morten Smeds datter An Sophie.)

Op 120 31 Mar 1768 Maren dies
Op 120 15 May 1768 Karen dies

Op 124 12 Nov 1769 Karen Marie is born/baptized
(dom 25 p trin Jens Stougårds pigebarn døbt navnlig Karen Marie, susc Morten Bechlings datter Maren test Jens Falster Jens Rasmussen, Søren Stougård Søren Smeds hustru og Maren Vindelboe)

Op 134 20 Apr 1773 Maren #2 is born/baptized
(dom qvasimod. Jens Stougårds pigebarn døbt navnlig Maren, susc Berthe Pedersdatter test Ole Stougård, Jørgen Stougård Hans Antoniisen, Magrethe Lasdatter, Knud Rasmussens hustru)

Op 135 14 May 1773 Rasmus Jensen Staugaard dies
Op 135 23 May 1773 Maren #2 Jensdatter Staugaard dies
Op 170 26 Apr 1785 Jens Staugaard's wife (Mette Rasmudatter) dies age 50

Is seems pretty clear that Rasmus, Ole, Soren and Jens were brothers, given how many times they witness the baptisms.  But I have questions about their father and all of those children that I will put in another post.

Okay, here is where I am confused.

and Laurits Sørensen in staugaard who married Mette Rasmusdatter

here are Laurits children:
page ?                                                                   Jørgen 1705
opslag/page 16                                                     Rasmus  1707
opslag 28/ page 28                                               Child born and dead
opslag 32  -                                                           Oluf 1712
Opslag 45                                                              Maren 1715  -dies 7 weeks -same oplsag
Opslag 66                                                              Laurits  1720
opslag 67                                                               child dead - no name or age- probably   Oluf  1721
opslag 79                                                               Oluf 1723
opslag 110                                                             Jørgen dies  24 years.

the child who dies in 1721 I am nearly sure it is Oluf, as the next child they give birth they call Oluf again, and that was the custum in that days, that when a child died the next born child should have the dead childs name

Did you mean Jens in the bold or Laurits?

And this:
CitatWhen your Laurits marries in Klakring we have:

Søren Staugård...I haven't found him born , but there are missing corners and also pages i cannot read, so....
Rasmus Staugård born 179 the eldest brother
Ole Staugård  also oluf  1723
Jens Staugård. 1720

Is this Laurits the same one who married Mette Rasmusdatter and had those 7 children listed?  Did Mette die and Laurits married a 2nd time in Klakring?  From that marriage came Soren, Rasmus, Ole and Jens?  If so, does he marry after the death of Maren in 1715?  Also, you have Rasmus born 179 did you mean 1707 (per the list above)?  Or is this Rasmus born 1719?

If you meant Jens and not Laurits in the list of children it all makes sense.

Also: Where is Øllegaard?  I looked in the place names database and it does not come up.

Grethe Leerbech

Sorry Rebecca

I have written wrong.

I mean Jens and not Laurits - Jens born 1759

same year his cousin Øllegård Kirstine child of Søren Stougård is born. 8.2. 1759

Also it seems , that both Laurits and Jens married one Mette Rasmusdatter-- I will look up once more to see if it is correct.

It seems that laurit is married with an Anne Rasmusdatter in 1704 -but i am not quite sure of that . i can't read it properbly

when I write "your Laurits" I mean Jens Stougaard- sorry.

Rasmus is born in 1707

and Stougaard lies in the village called bisholt- i don't know if it is still  there but in an old description it is said, that it is a fine farm/yard with 3 length - and mostly of the farms down there were painted red -but this one was chalced  wite , and also there should have been a very fine poem over the entrance door. 

and you are lucky, that there is one more older chuchbook to look through - i have looked in the originals not the transciptions- which i discovered after searching the names.

Knuds children are.

Laurs  oplslg 47   1716
Mette      -       64   1719
morten   -        81    1724

I have the following children for Knud Sorensen (I am also related to him by marriage of his daughter Anne to Morten Jorgensen, in fact, I seem to be related to almost everyone in Klakring) all born in Klakring.  I do not find Laurs or Mette though and the opslag numbers you have put those children born in As, Bjerre:

Marriage of Knud Sorensen Staugaard and Kirsten Mortensdatter
21 Jun 1705 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark
2 s e trefoldighed Knud Sørensen i Stougård og Kirsten Mortensdatters brøllup

Their children (although I do not understand the gap between 1707 and 1713 yet no other marriage is mentioned)
Birth of Daughter Maren Knudsdatter Staugaard(1706–1706)
21 Jan 1706 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Death of Daughter Maren Knudsdatter Staugaard(1706–1706)
7 Feb 1706 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Birth of Daughter Ingeborg Knudsdatter Staugaard(1707–)
23 Jan 1707 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Birth of Son Soren Knudsen Staugaard(1713–)
7 May 1713 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Birth of Daughter Karen Knudsdatter Staugaard(1716–)
3 May 1716 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Birth of Daughter Anne Knudsdatter Staugaard(1720–)
14 Jan 1720 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Birth of Son Morten Knudsen Staugaard(1724–)
9 Jan 1724 • Klakring, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark

Citat fra: Grethe Leerbech [814] Dato 29 Nov 2017 - 04:17

Also it seems , that both Laurits and Jens married one Mette Rasmusdatter-- I will look up once more to see if it is correct.

It seems that laurit is married with an Anne Rasmusdatter in 1704 -but i am not quite sure of that . i can't read it properbly

when I write "your Laurits" I mean Jens Stougaard- sorry.

Rasmus is born in 1707

Thank you Grethe.  It sounds like it was a sweet farm at the time.

I initially had Laurits Sorensen Staugaard married to Anne Rasmusdatter but I removed her because that marriage is with Laurits Jorgensen not Laurits Sorensen.  I could not find a marriage between Laurits and Mette Rasmusdatter around 1704/1705/1706 though so they probably married somewhere else.

Peder Staugaard who married Maren Knudsdatter -and moved to Øllegaard.

Hi Grethe.  The only marriage with a Maren Knudsdatter in Klakring was with Peder Jorgensen Staugaard.  I could not find a marriage between Peder Sorensen Staugaard and Maren Knudsdatter.

1707 samme dag (6 Oct) Peder Jørgensen Stougård og Maren Knudsdatters trolovelse
1707 3 s i adv Peder Jørgensen Stougård og Maren Knudsdatters brøllup

Grethe Leerbech

Hi Rebecca
Your are right, apparently there are 2 families in Staugaard namely the family Sørensen and the family Jørgensen. And I also looked to see when they are mentioned for the first time-which is in :

1702 ne jensdatter in tougaard has a child with Michel Sørensen in Stougaard,
next time we read
1705  Laurits Jørgensen in  Stougaard marries Anne Rasmusdatter
and next time is Knud Sørensen in Stougaard  and
1707 Peder Jørgensen in Stougaard both marriage notatiotions.

before 1702 one doesn't find any hints to Stougaard, so probably the farm wasn't build or named

Also I hope you are better to read the family names than I, so you don't mix the 2 family names Jørgensen/Sørensen. They could be cousins, - children of ex. Jørgen and children of Søren, that is we see brotheres and cousins in the chuchbook.
Maybe they are only nighbours, because at that time 2 families often shared one farm and cultivated it together.

Dear Grethe,

I think we are related either way and I thank you for your help.  :)