Same name, same place but different people

Startet af Ric Rasmussen, 02 Dec 2017 - 15:08

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Ric Rasmussen

I need help figuring this out.  In the Keldby Parish, I have a 6th great grandfather named Christen Hansen.  He was married three times and appeared to have a lot of children.  In 1738 there are two different children born to a Christen Hansen from Pollerup.  Both are found on this page.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L94W-YZSC?i=63&wc=M5KZ-K6B%3A357517501%2C357801401%2C358051401%2C358051402&cc=2078555

No 5 top left and No 18 bottom right.  The children couldn't be from the same mother since their births are so close together so either it was a different mother or a different father and mother.  I noticed the "C" is written differently on the two father's names.  Does that mean anything?  I cannot read the words after "Christen Hansen" on the first entry.  Do they help clarify?

On this page,

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G94W-YDN3?i=210&wc=M5KZ-K6B%3A357517501%2C357801401%2C358051401%2C358051402&cc=2078555

entry #5 is the betrothal and marriage of Christen Hansøn? from Pollerup to Magrethe Hansdatter.  Entry #7 is Christen Hansen's betrothal and marriage to Giertrud Hemmingsdatter.  She is from Pollerup but he is from Keldbylille.  My assumption had been that they would have lived in Keldbylille but of course I may be wrong with that.  Is there anything in these records that helps me know which Christen Hansen is which?  I noticed that Hansøn in entry #5 is spelled differently.  The entry right above his marriage is a Jens Hansøn from Pollerup.  With that unique spelling would that make them brothers?  Anything else I could deduce from this?  Does this tie either one of them to the children?

Finally there are several children born to Christen Hansen in this parish in the years before the mother's name was also listed so I am looking for someway to distinguish if they are all the same family.

Thank you for your time in trying to help me figure this out.

Ric
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø

Karin Andersen

Hi Ric.  :)

Well, this is a hard one.

#5 (before the 12th. Feb.)  is Christen Hansen Husmand (Smallholder) af Pollerup.
#18 (30. Sept.) is Christen Hansen af Pollerup.

First:
You can not depend on a certain way of spelling a name. People were not very educated in the art of writing and wrote as they thought a name "sounded". The writing here shows it is the same person writing both entries but 6 month apart. He might just have been getting new knowledge about spelling names in the meantime.

Second:
This is info about the baptism - not the birth info. Usually the children would be baptized right after birth but nor necessarily.  I know of a boy who was baptized 6 years after his birth.

In this case you can´t be sure, if it is the same man having two baptisms this year or not. It might be.

Even if Pollerup might be a very small village with a few people, there might very well happen to be two or more people with the name Christen Hansen. The only way to figure it out-and you might not be able to - is to look at the witnesses from all the baptisms all the Christen Hansen had over a longer period of time. Because of the size of Pollerup some of the witnesses might appear as witnesses in other families than their own.

In the case of #5 and #18 the only thing that are different is the title Husmand. It might just be the Priest having an off day not writing it about #18 or that is what distinguish them for the Priest. You´ll have to compare the many baptism.

Unfortunately you have two couples marrying and two boys both called Hans. (Probably the first born child for both couples and named after the father of Christen as was the custom).

Look at the witnesses. If you can find the confirmation of the boys you might find info that can help you further. In some parishes you will often find a name of the farm people was living on if more people had the same name and title.

Kind Regards  :)

Karin

Rhode-listen. ca. 650 personer findes under "Slægtshistorier" https://www.slaegtogdata.dk/forum/index.php/topic,118658.0.html

Ric Rasmussen

Thank you, Karin.  That is very helpful.  I will do some more digging and see what I can find.

Thanks again,

Ric
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø