Help with Rasmus Pedersen 1769 baptism - father's name unclear

Startet af Ronald Michelsen, 01 Jan 2018 - 00:53

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Ronald Michelsen

I've found what I believe to be my 3rd great grandfather Ramus Pedersen's baptism record 1769 in Maribo, Olstrup/Errindlev parish, first entry on the right side:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L94W-FWDB?i=90&wc=M5KH-C6T%3A357518001%2C359214401%2C359264401%2C359264402&cc=2078555

I believe it shows his mother as Birthe Pedersdatter, but I can't make out his father Peder's last name or the actual baptism date. Can anyone help with a translation of this entry? Thanks

Trine Nielsen

It is not the mothers name. He was carried to his baptism by Birthe Pederdatter. The mother would often not be present as they would not be allowed back to the church for a certain period of time, about 5-6 weeks (as they were deemed unclean) and would then have to be introduced back. The fathers name is Peder Frimand.

Rasmus, baptised Peder Frimand small son in Biernisse? who was carried to baptism by Ib Due's girl (worked for him) Birthe Pedersdatter from Selstofte. Witnesses/godparents: Peder Bødker in Biernisse?, Jens Holtze in Diiled?, Jørgen Pedersens wife og Rasmus Biørns wife, both of Biernisse?

Ronald Michelsen

Thanks much! What confused me is the father's last name, it didn't look like the normal patronymic ending in "sen". Do you know if Frimand is a Danish name? Also, is the date contained somewhere in the entry, I can't seem to find any numbers.

Ronald Michelsen

I think I figured out the place names - Selstofte=Sjælstofte, Biernisse=Bjernæs

Helmer Christiansen

The date: Dom: 12 a Trinit:, 12th Sunday after Trinity. In 1770 September 2nd.
Helmer Christiansen
2000 F

Trine Nielsen

Frimand is most likely a name he took for himself, so he would also have a sen surname.

Ralph Rasmussen

Like a moth to a flame, I was intrigued by the question of a 'sen' name for Peder - here is just a clue Rasmus 'Frimand' was a Pedersen, as noted upper right of image 59 and 54.  On second thought, in the communicants Peder and Rasmus hardly seem to overlap.  While Frimand doesn't sound like a farm name, the name may have come with taking over the farm.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ralph Rasmussen

Looking forward, image 93, I find Rasmus, Peder, and Jørgen Frimand .  And all three seem to have hired help, i.e.are 'gaardmænd.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ronald Michelsen

The 1787 and 1801 censuses for Olstrup parish, place name Biernisse, show a Rasmus Pedersen with birth year 1770, which corresponds to the baptism record in my original post. But the father's name in the census is Peder Pedersen, not Peder Frimand, which agrees with what Trine said "Frimand is most likely a name he took for himself, so he would also have a sen surname."

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Ib Hansen

"Frimand" is a kind of title meaning that his owns his property.

Many regards
Ib

Ronald Michelsen

Thanks everyone for all your help, it's allowed me to find Rasmus parents and their birth years so I can add another generation to my tree.