Help to trace origin of Søren Andersen of Stokemarke, Lolland - Born circa 1742

Startet af Max Rasmussen, 09 Feb 2018 - 20:25

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Max Rasmussen

I am trying to trace the origin of my ancestor Søren Andersen who lived in Tjennemarke, Stokkemarke, Lolland Sønder, Maribo, during the 18th and early 19th century.

He can be found in the in the FT 1787 (Husmand) and again in FT 1801(Indsidder) and died 1st April 1820 at the reported age of 78 years old, which would make his year of birth 1742. The other piece of information that we have about him is that he had a brother Anders Andersen who lived in the adjoining village of Abed.

I have researched the Kirke Bøger for Stokkemarke sogn, but have not been able to locate either his birth or his first marriage - He was first married around 1773 (i.e. the birth of his first son Anders Sørensen - who died within the year) to a Bethe, with who he had 3 further children Anders 1774, Ib 1777 & Jens 1779) before she died 3rd Sep 1780. It is possible that he is recorded there but the writing in the book is rather obscure, so I may have missed him.

My question is would it be possible to locate Søren Andersen through the Lægdsruller. It is clear that Søren was residing in Tjennemarke from 1773 when he would have been around 31 and still eligible for military registration.

I have tried looking on Arkivalieronline but could only locate one set of records for the 18th century which seems to be too early to include Søren:

Danske Kancelli - Lægdsrulle over det nationale landinfanteridistrikt på Sjælland, Møn og Lolland (1724 - 1724)

The rest of the records seem to be for the 19th century or are too late to include Søren.

Are there more Lægdsruller records that can be searched online, and if so where can they be located.

Ideally I would like to discover where Søren was born (if not in Stokkemarke sogn) and who his parents might be (i.e. Anders who ?). Any help would be most apreciated.

Max Rasmussen - Norfolk, England
Med venlig hilsen

Ralph Rasmussen

What should have helped wasn't quite enough.  Among the confirmations of 1756 #18 is a Søren Andersen, who had to be at least 14, and of 1761 an 18 year old Søren Andersen, # 6.  From 1738 through 1746 I do not see a Søren Andersen baptized in the parish.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Max Rasmussen

Hej Ralph,

You have helped by at least confirming that my ancestor Søren, was in the parish on or before 1756 - the earliest record I had found was the birth of his first child in 1773. So his residence in the area has been confirmed some 17 years earlier.

Any thoughts or information on the Lægdsrulle. I think the record would be filed against the persons place of birth ? Which in this case if as seems likely Søren was not born in Tjennemarke/ Stokkemarke that route for tracing him would be of little use.

Med venlig hilsen

Ralph Rasmussen

From 1735 and up to 1789 men were bound to a manor, although from ca. 1730 no longer nominally a serf.  The respective manors kept a 'mandtal', as they could be asked to furnish recruits on occasion, and were entitled to labor from men bound to their property.  How those were kept, and preserved, would vary.  Like the probates of the period, the key is finding the right manor, as they often cut across the parish boundaries.

I haven't gotten any further into those records.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Max Rasmussen

I suppose that it means that the "Mandtal" or "Lægdsrulle" which I would need is not likely to be available online.

I suppose the next step is to try to locate the Manor (or Manors) under which the hamlet of Tjennemarke is located - are there maps of the area ?

I have made copies of the two confirmations that you found for Søren. The 1761 confirmation, in addition to Søren's name has some word, which I cannot make out - is any body able to read them ?
Med venlig hilsen

Ralph Rasmussen

It is a bit easier to interpret than to transcribe.  I have him "hos Jørgen Sxxx, Sal[trup]" employed by Jørgen S. in Saltrup, a place name in the parish.  That opens the door a bit for his birth in a neighboring parish, at least part of which is under the same manor.

I cannot seem to find maps showing which 'gods' held which farms and villages.

-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Max Rasmussen

Thats great - I could not make anything out much at all.

I have previously looked for a birth in the surrounding parishes, but drawn a blank there too, but maybe its worth another try.

Just to complicate matters further checking the census on DDD there seems to be another Søren Andersen also aged 46 living in Stokkemarke Bye in the 1787 FT: living in household 31 (where as my ancestor lived in household 27).

Thanks very much for the help
Med venlig hilsen

Max Rasmussen

NOTE: I have just checked the 1801 FT and the "second" Søren Andersen is now listed as being aged 65 years - giving him a birth of 1736. My Søren Andersen is more consistent in the records with all entries pointing to 1742 as his birth year. So most likely the other Søren had a rouge age entered in the FT 1789.
Med venlig hilsen

Ralph Rasmussen

A very small matter:  The 1787 and 1801 censuses recorded 'in the nth year', rather than full years achieved.  The 1787 census was nominally June 1, 1801 February 1.  Most of the subsequent censuses are as of February 1, reckoned in years reached.  Of course there was plenty of self reporting of ages and illegible or misread ages in the transcriptions.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen