Could childrens names be a clue to grandparents names?

Startet af Claude Anders Hanson, 09 Mar 2018 - 04:03

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Claude Anders Hanson

I've temporarilly changed my tactics in trying to find who Anders Hansen's parents are.  He is married to Woldberg Christensdatter .  Anders confirmation, marriage, children's birth, and his death were all in Toflund parish, Haderslev Amp.  He was probably born in 1751, however, I can't find a birth record in that parish.  Their four children were born beginning in 1783.
1st Child:  Hans Christensen Andersen [perhaps Anders' father was [HANS CHRISTENSEN]
2nd Child:  Christen Jensen [Woldberg's fathers name WAS CHRISTEN JENSEN!]
3rd Child:  Dorothy Kristine Andersdatter [perhaps Anders' mother was Dorothy Kristine  ?]
4th  Child:  Marie Dorthe Andersdatter   [Woldberg's mother's name WAS MARIE DORTHE]

I did find on the 1769 census a 58 year old Hans Christensen - and the census just named the head person...the second person was much younger, so perhaps  Hans Christensen's wife died sometime between 1751 and 1769.  I tried to read the deaths in the parish to see if I could find a Dorothy Kristine or Dorthe Kristine.... but I just couldn't read most of the names.  I also tried to find a marriage of a Hans Christensen and a Dorthy Kristine... but couldn't read those records well either.  And, since Anders birth isn't listed in the parish, he must have been born in a different parish...and the marriage of his parents must have been in that same parish. 

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.  "I Give Up" doesn't come easy to me.

And I know 'Asking for Help' comes too easy!     Claude

Helle Jespersen

At that time in Denmark it was common to name the children after the grandparents. Fathers parents before mothers parents.
Just as you assumed.
But, if mothers father had died and fathers father still was alive, the child would be named after the dead person to remember the death person. A kind of honor.

I would also like to aks if you are sure of the name of the wife of Anders? I have never hear the female name Woldberg.

The name Dorothy isn't a common danish name either. It could be Dorothea. Or just Dorthea
Forsker i området omkring Skibby, Horsens, Als & Sundeved, og lidt syd for Viborg. Har afstikkere til København, USA og Australien, samt enkelte indgifte fra Sverige og Polen.

Towle

Citat fra: Helle Jespersen [17857] Dato 09 Mar 2018 - 09:25
I would also like to aks if you are sure of the name of the wife of Anders? I have never hear the female name Woldberg.

Voldborg/Woldborg is maybe not common but is seen quite often.

Helle Jespersen

The name Voldborg or Valborg gives sence. But not Woldberg.
Forsker i området omkring Skibby, Horsens, Als & Sundeved, og lidt syd for Viborg. Har afstikkere til København, USA og Australien, samt enkelte indgifte fra Sverige og Polen.

Claude Anders Hanson

After checking again -- It is WOLDBORG  and it is DOROTHE.  Sorry!!!  Claude

Claude Anders Hanson

AND AN EVEN GREATER MISTAKE I MADE.....I just looked up the original church record and the first daughter's name was written exactly:

DORTHE KRISTINE JUUL ANDERSDATTER.  So now, probably Anders' mother's surname was Dorthe Kristine Juul

Sorry, Claude

Helle Jespersen

Could you try to copy the link to the marriage and some of the childrens birth.
Maybe it could help us to help you finding the persons.

Claude Anders Hanson

Helle - I put all the links in a new reguest for help.  Hopefully it will help....it looks huge; however, it really isn't because the births are all found within six pages of the churchbook.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Claude

Helle Jespersen