Were they still recording information on males born in 1845 for military purpose

Startet af Claude Anders Hanson, 23 Mar 2018 - 20:38

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Claude Anders Hanson

I'm trying to find where Nis Christian Hansen, son of Anders Hansen, born 1 April 1845 in Skærbæk and raised in Vinum, near Døstrup lived just before he immigrated to USA in the late 1860's or very early 1870's.  I had a hint from Ancestry.com more than a year ago; however, I disregarded it because ship manifest they suggested said he was from some community in Northern Denmark, far removed from Tonder County.  I am now thinking he could have gone north to avoid being in Prussia.  Of the six  siblings who migrated to USA in the late '60's or early 70's on different ships they all left from Hamburg.  The first record I have of Nis Christian is in Kansas - 1875...and he says he came to Kansas from Texas.  Most people who entered U.S. in Texas came from the south, especially Australia.  If I can find where he lived just before he immigrated it might help me find a record of him leaving.  Thanks, Claude

John Damm Sørensen

Yes, there were levy rolls at that time, but since he was living near the coast he might have been enrolled for the navy and listed in the special navy levy rolls that are not online.

I found him here in the Brede parish i 1860.
Tønder, Tønder, Højer og Lø, Brede (Slesvigsk), Borg By, En Gård, 23, FT-1860, D7674
Navn:     Alder:     Status:     Stilling i familien:     Erhverv:     Fødested:
Jørgen Hansen     44     Gift      Gårdmand og Husfader            Janderup Sogn, Ribe Amt 
Caroline Christian f. Simonsen     40     Gift      Hans Kone            Ho Sogn, Ribe Amt 
Peter Christian Vinter Hansen     6     Ugift      Deres Barn            Brede Sogn, Tønder Amt 
Simon Nielsen Hansen     1     Ugift      Deres Barn            Brede Sogn, Tønder Amt 
Morten Jørgen Frøsigen     20     Ugift      Tjenestekarl            Vilslev Sogn, Ribe Amt 
Nis Christian Hansen     15     Ugift      Tjenestekarl            Skærbæk Sogn, Tønder Amt 
Marie Gregersen     20     Ugift      Tjenestepige            Ho Sogn, Ribe Amt

Best
John

Inger Toudal

Nis Christian's confirmation took place in Brede 10 Mar. 1861:

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=17216128#201097,38085954 - No 9

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=17216132#201099,38086785 - No 9

It seems that part of the levying rolls from Sønderjylland (Northern Schleswig) up to 1864 has been lost:

https://wiki.dis-danmark.dk/index.php/L%C3%A6gdsrulle#S.C3.B8nderjylland

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Military_Records_for_S%C3%B8nderjylland

- if he moved to e.g. Ribe county, you would have to know the parish where he moved, in order to find him.

Best regards,
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Claude Anders Hanson

Inge:  Thanks, would you mind translating that entire confirmation entry for me.  I'm thinking perhaps by 1868 he may have been living in Janderup, Ribe - that is where his maternal grandparents lived.  Thanks, Claude

Claude Anders Hanson

I just checked my Roots Magic data and as I thought - the Jorgen Hansen that Nis Christian Hansen was living with on the 1860 census in Brede parish is, indeed, the brother of his mother, his uncle.  Since I know that family was from Janderup parish in Ribe, it is possible that those military records are recorded in Janderup.
Claude

Ole Westermann

The confirmation:

Nis Christian Hansen, ægte Søn af An-
ders Andersen Hansen fra Døstrup, opholder
sig hos Gaardm. Jørgen Hansen i Borrig
født 1 April 1845
(Vacc.) 31 Aug. 1847 af Øgmundsen
------------------ translation
Nis Christian Hansen, leg. son of An-
ders Andersen Hansen from Døstrup, living
with farmer Jørgen Hansen in Borg
born 1 April 1845
(Vacc.) 31 Aug. 1847 by Øgmundsen

mvh Ole

Ole Westermann

He was in fact born i Skærbæk parish, but his family soon moved to Døstrup.
He can't be found in the levying rolls from there, probably because he wasn't liable for military service.

Claude Anders Hanson

Thanks, did he happen to be on the Janderup, Ribe levying rolls in 1867 or 1868?  Claude

Ole Westermann

No, he was not there or in the arrival/departure lists in the church records. At least I did not see him.

Claude Anders Hanson

Nis Christian Hansen had a brother, Hans Andersen Hansen, who was two years older and farming in Vester Vedsted, Ribe...perhaps he was living near or with him.  I tried to read the church arrivals and departures for that parish, and (par for the course) I couldn't!  If someone has the time they might check there.  Claude