Peter Sampson born Aalborg circa 1849 - mariner

Startet af Jo Morris, 28 Apr 2018 - 23:08

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jo Morris

Hi,
I am trying to trace my husbands great great grandfather and his parents. I have had no luck using the online Archives as I don't have enough information to create a successful search.
Peter Sampson lists on his New Zealand marriage registration that he was born approximately 1849 in Aalborg, Denmark - he is listed as a Mariner. His parents were Charles Sampson (born circa 1826? at a guess) and his mother was Eliza Smith. Charles is listed as a carpenter. (that is all the information I have).
I would like to find Peter Sampson's birth registration and from this I hope we can find if his parents are also from Denmark or perhaps elsewhere - I would like to find their Birth, Marriage, Death Registrations, Census (any documents at all - or any siblings etc. Are there shipping records that could perhaps identify Peter Sampson the Mariner? Or immigration records for his parents - Were they actually Danish?
I have written to the Danish archives and they gave me a link to your website for further help - I hope someone may be able to please help me in this search - thank you.
Kind Regards
Jo Morris

Arne Møhler

Hi

I have searched the censuses of 1845 and 1850, which are 100 % tipped in, through for the whole country incl. that part of Northern Germany (Schleswig und Holstein), which was Danish at hat time (i.e. 1864), without any succes.

In 1845 a search for Eli.. Sm... gives 12 results incl. Elisabeth. For 1850 the result is 9.

A search of Eli.. Schm... (the German way for Smith) 1845 gives 58 women. 1850 gives 17.
At hat time the women were mostly written by their maden name.

But the names sound not really Danish. Peter is OK, but Sampson, no.

The son caries the name Hansen, if his father was Hans.
The daugther carries the name Hansdatter, if her father was Hans.

Eliza is typical English. I found 2 both located in Copenhagen and both born elsewhere.

Smit is common in Nederland.

I think the title "Mariner" could indicate that Peter was in the navy. And by the way a carpenter was an important person on ships at that time, but certanly not a woman! I.e. Eliza has not been on the ship even if she was married with Charles.

I am sorry I couldn't give a positive answer, but I thought you should have an answer in stead of nothing.

Regards
Arne Møhler

Verner Bentsen

Peter Sampson / Samson could be a jewish name.
Jewish church records for Aalborg are not online.
Can someone here in DK help ?

Mvh Verner

Peder Sørensen

hey
there has been a  dane leaving Denmark in 1902

Navn:   Sampson, Peter   Stilling:   Landmand
Alder:   34   Bestemmelsessted:   N.Y.
Kontrakt nr.:   343500   Forevisningsdato:   31-07-1902
Fødested:   Kolding   Fødesogn:   Kolding
Sidste oph.sogn:   ?   Sidste oph. amt:   - Amerika
Sidste oph.sted:   Amerika   Bestemmelses land:   USA
Bestemmelses by:   New York City   Bestemmelses stat:   New York State