Need help translating birth record

Startet af PrivateUser, 01 Okt 2018 - 21:46

Forrige emne - Næste emne

PrivateUser

Hello,

I am from the USA and speak English, but not Danish. I would like to please request some help translating a birth record. It is for Maren Stine Andersen in Stokkemarke Sogn, Maribo, Denmark on 22 May 1851. I found this record on familysearch.org.

I found this birth record while searching for my grandmother's grandmother. From what I understand, her parents did not marry (I don't know why) and her mother was Trine Andreasen/Andreasendatter/Andersen and her father was Abraham Jensen.

I am asking for help because this record is a little confusing as it looks like they gave Maren a different name before crossing it out. And the column for the parents' names are a little difficult for me to understand, so I'd like to please request someone to translate the entire record, including witnesses---if possible. The transcriptionon familysearch.org said the father's name was "Alfred Andreasdatter", but that can't be right because men didn't have -datter for their last names? It's also strange because I think I can see "Abraham Jensen" at the very bottom for the parents' names.  And looking at the crossed-out name for the baby girl, it looks like Abrahamjen. I'm not sure if this is the birth record for my grandmother's grandmother? The date and location match. A little mysterious, so some help would be much appreciated.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you.

Best regards.

Ralph Rasmussen

A bit of a transcription and interpretation:

Uægte 16 den 22de Mai 1851
[xd out: Oline] Maren Stine Andreasen
[xd out: Abrahamsen?]
vacc: 2 Juli 1852 af Møller
døbt i Kirken den 22de Junii 1851
Fruentimmeret [ floozy, loose woman, possibly mother of a previous child ] Christina Andreasdatter, som
har tjent hos  H___ H___

(27 ¾ Aar)
Madam Holck i Tjennemarke i ___ hos Broderen
Andreasen i Abad.
Udlagt Barnefader Huusmand i Tjennmarke Abraham Jansen

If the daughter finally carried the mother's surname, it would be rendered 'Andreasen'. The rules for surnames were a bit fluid in the middle of the 19th century.  Options were the the old style father's given name plus -sen, the father's surname, and the mother's surname.

The putative father was Abraham Jansen/Jensen, a resident in Tjennemarke, and implicitly a married man, as he is not styled 'ungkarl' (bachelor). 

Keys to whether this is your ancestor are the birth and baptism dates, the vaccination date of July 2, 1852 Two of the three should be included in her eventual marriage record.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Svend Aage Mikkelsen

Hello

I think the right order is:

Fruentimmeret [ floozy, loose woman, possibly mother of a previous child ] Christina Andreasdatter (27 ¾ Aar), som
har tjent hos  Madam Holck i Tjennemarke i ___ hos Broderen Hans Hansen Andreasen i Abad.
Udlagt Barnefader Huusmand i Tjennmarke Abraham Jansen

Census 1845, Stokkemarke, Tjennemarke:
Navn: Alder: Status: Stilling i familien: Erhverv: Fødested:
Laurine Jørgensen!!  43  Enke(mand)  Enke efter Pastor Holck  Utterslev S., Maribo A. 
Elise Magrethe Holck  19  Ugift  hendes Datter  Sandbye S., Maribo A. 
Jens Rasmussen  32  Ugift  Tjenestekarl  Søllested S., Maribo A. 
Lars Clausen  58  Enke(mand)  Tjenestekarl  Kjøbelev S., Maribo A. 
Trine Andreasen  22  Ugift  Tjenestepige  Aunede S., Maribo A. 
Karen Marie Andreasen  7  Ugift  hendes Pleiebarn  Stokkemarke

Census 1850, Stokkemarke, Tjennemarke:
Laurine Jørgensen!!  48  WidowEnke  Widow after Pastor Holck, Housewife  Utterslev Sogn, Maribo Amt 
Elise Ane Magrethe Holck  24  Ugift  hendes Datter  Sandby Sogn, Maribo Amt 
Karen Marie Andreasen  12  -  Pleiebarn  her i Sognet 
Hans Hansen  23  Ugift  Tjenestekarl  her i Sognet 
Trine Andreasen  27  Ugift  Tjenestepige  Aunede Sogn, Maribo Amt

Census 1860, Stokkemarke, Blands:
Rasmus Petersen  41  Gift  Husfader. Husmand. Skomager  Stokkemarke Sogn, Maribo Amt 
Thrine Andreasen  37  Gift  Hans Kone  Utterslev Sogn, Maribo Amt 
Marie Rasmussen  7  Ugift  Deres Barn  Stokkemarke Sogn, Maribo Amt 
Ole Rasmussen  5  Ugift  Deres Barn  Stokkemarke Sogn, Maribo Amt 
Niels Peter Frederiksen  16  Ugift  Skomagerlærling  Stokkemarke Sogn, Maribo Amt 

Census 1860, Stokkemarke, Saltvig:
Peder Rasmussen  62  Gift  Husmand. Daglejer  Stokkemarke Sogn, Maribo Amt 
Maren Madsen  61  Gift  Hans Kone  Vesterborg Sogn, Maribo Amt 
Maren Stine Andresen  9  Ugift  Plejebarn  Stokkemarke Sogn, Maribo Amt 
Mads Pedersen  36  Ugift  Deres Søn. Almisselem  Stokkemarke Sogn, Maribo Amt

Svend Aage
Svend Aage

PrivateUser

Svend,

Thank you very much. Very helpful, and to be honest... it does explain a lot based on the information that we currently have in our family history. There was always something murky (not clear) about Maren and her parents. This explains a lot.

Yes, Trine Andreasdatter/Andreasen and Abraham Jensen would be my 3X great-grandparents. I was able to figure out that they weren't married but could not figure out why, until now.

Thank you very much for the 1845 and 1850 Danish Census. I could not find Trine Andreasen in the 1845 or 1850 Danish Census until you pulled it up for me. Thank you very much. May I please ask which website you used for the Danish Censuses? Familysearch.org has them, but it's been hard looking through them. For instance, Familysearch.org said that the father on Maren's confirmation record was "Anfred Andreasdatter" and her mother was "Maren Wolf" Yikes! That's why I was confused in my initial query because I knew that –datter was for women, not men. So I am curious as to what website you use and would it be something I can use?

I am now wondering if Karen Marie Andreasen is Trine's first daughter? It looks like both of them lived with Madam Holck, a pastor's widow, for several years and worked as servants for Madam Holck. Would it be customary for an unwed, young mother to live with their child at a place like this? I did some research and it suggested that unwed mothers and their illegitimate children are financially supported by the church in that parish. Would that probably explain how Trine (and possible daughter) ended up with a pastor's family? I think Maren Stine Andreason's birth record is saying that her mom was a servant at Madam Holck's, a pastor's widow. Is Hans Hansen Andreasen Trine's brother? Is that what "Broderen" means? There's a [Vigen?] Sophia Andreasdatter in the witness column, so I will have to research Trine's family---I found her birth and confirmation records---to see how she is related to these people, if in any way.

You are correct. Maren Stine's confirmation record said she was vaccinated on July 2, 1852. Maren Stine also lived with her step-father's parents in Saltvig, which---from what I understand---was custom for illegitimate children to do so (that is, live with their grandparents) in the old days.

Maren Stine married Niels Hansen Rasmussen (THAGE or TAYE or THAG, spelling may depend on pronunciation. My family always said it was "Thaa") on December 14, 1877 in Birket, Maribo, Denmark, and had a son in 1878 who became my father's great-uncle Magnus. After Niels died in 1880, Maren and her son came to America, married another Dane here, and had my great-grandmother and other children in Iowa. When my father was young, he and his family lived on his great-uncle's farm for a few years. In fact, several of Maren's half-siblings and step-siblings emigrated here to the USA, and all remained extremely close for years, often getting together for reunions. Two lived in Iowa, one in Michigan and another in Illinois. Thank you very much for helping me translate these records.

Please let me know which website you used to access the Danish Censuses? In addition to the word for "Broderen", I am curious as to what "Abed" means? It looks like it is an abbreviation for something.

Thank you very much for your help. Extremely helpful.

Kristine Pitkin
Oregon, USA

Svend Aage Mikkelsen

Hello

There are many transcripted census af this webpage: http://ddd.dda.dk/soeg_person.asp
In the top you find link to explanation in English.

Pictures of the original census you find here: https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/en/rif/rif-collection/7

Broderen = the brother
Abed is a place name in Stokkemarke parish. Here is a list of all the small places in the parish:

Abed
Blans
Blans Hoved
Brandsmose
Broerne
Bøllesminde
Gallemose
Gallemose Huse
Keldernæs
Keldernæs Hage
Keldernæsskov
Keldervig
Knuthenlund
Koblet
Koldinge
Kåhavegård
Lindholm
Lundejorden
Løjet
Nissemose Huse
Saltvig
Skifterne
Stenhjelm
Stensgård
Stokkemarke
Stokkemarke Skovhuse
Søllested Skov
Tjennemarke
Tjennemarke Skov
Ugleholt Skov
Vesterroder

Places in Denmark you find here: http://www.krabsen.dk/stednavnebase/

Svend Aage
Svend Aage

Svend Aage Mikkelsen

Hello

I think you got the wrong husbond for Maren Stine. It is no. 7 (the aged in no. 8 is wrong).
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?bsid=148325#148325,24506593

Svend Aage
Svend Aage

PrivateUser

Svend,

Thank you very much. Yes, you are correct. Thank you for correcting it.

And thank you for the website. So much better. I didn't know Abed was a place. I thought it was an abbreviation.

Thank you for your help. Very helpful and much appreciated.

Kristine Pitkin
Corvallis, Oregon