Help translating an abbreviation?

Startet af PrivateUser, 15 Okt 2018 - 23:16

Forrige emne - Næste emne

PrivateUser

Hello,

I am tracing my 3X great-aunt, Karen Kirstine Andersen, who founded the Danish Sisterhood of America. She and her husband, Niels Hemmingsen, had a daughter named Sophie Elisabeth who was born in Roholte Sogn, Praesto on 5 Feb 1869. Sophie Elisabeth's birth record has an unusual abbreviation I have yet to see in other records. Would someone please translate, if possible? I have attached a JPEG for convenience. The abbreviation is in the name column next to her name.

Thank you.

KP

Inge Hedal

Hello
The word is (død) which means dead.

Inge

It is not an abbreviation.

Death of Sophie Elisabeth Hemmingsen:
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?bsid=154871#154871,25851581

Ole Westermann

PrivateUser

Thank you so much. I suspected as such, but this brings up more questions.

1. Does that mean that Sophie Elisabeth was stillborn?
2. I found a Sophie Elisabeth living with the same family in the 1870 Danish Census and I found her death record in 1871, so is it possible that the parish church "backtracked" to her birth record to say she had died later on? Her death record was in January and it said she was about 2 years old.

Thank you.

KP

Inge Hedal

Does that mean that Sophie Elisabeth was stillborn?
No. If she was stillborn, she would not have been baptized on 17 March 1869.

I found a Sophie Elisabeth living with the same family in the 1870 Danish Census and I found her death record in 1871, so is it possible that the parish church "backtracked" to her birth record to say she had died later on?
Yes. It is the only explanation I can think of. Maybe it happened when she died.

Inge

PrivateUser

Thank you so much. Yes, that makes sense... being baptized. Like I said, I did find her death record and all the ages match. I have seen instances in the Danish birth records where when someone changed their name, that change was noted on their birth record many years later.

Thank you very much to everyone who helped.

Kristine Pitkin
Corvallis, OR

Ralph Rasmussen

Some parish records have that note often.  It seem the pastor was toting up the children who would be ready for confirmation.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø