Hendrich Hoffmeyer 1704 - 1736 in Falster - birth place ?

Startet af Christina Kaul, 28 Mar 2019 - 11:30

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Christina Kaul

Dear all,

I am stuck with my research on Hendrich Hoffmeyer 1704 - 1736 in Falster, a direct ancestor of my husband.

We have an excerpt of an old Hoffmeyer family tree that got pulled together by Knud Henrik Hoffmeyerin in 1948 and mainly relates to Niels West Hoffmeyer and Sophie Margrete Bielefeld - their ancestors and descendants. The family tree does not specifiy places of birth and death but only provides dates and a main location of life. I have spent some time verifying dates in church books and most dates seem accurate.

But I am now stuck with Hendrich Hoffmeyer 1704 - 1736 in Falster. On 10 February 1730 he marries in Nykoebing Sidsel Hammer and his profession is a parish clerk / sogn degn in Sonder Kirkeby og Sonder Alslev on Falster. His son Peder Christian is born on 4 May 1730 in Sonder Kirkeby and his wife dies while giving birth. He remarries on 13 August 1731 in Stubbekoebing and children are born in 1732, 1734 and 1736 - all in Horbelev. Hendrich dies in Sonder Kirkeby on 13 March 1736 at the age of 32 years.

But where was he born around 1704 ? Some MyHeritage family trees say Kovenhavn but I have no idea where this information comes from. I checked the three weddings of Hendrik's children - none of them provides more information.

Any idea how I could proceed (except checking all church books in Kobenhavn, which I will do if there is no other option) ?

Thanks in advance for your help and best regards,

Christina

Grethe Leerbech

Hi christian
i am sending you a copy of a  "skifte" from 1731 , as you can see Hneriks 2nd wife is Mette Marie Sørensdatter

Falster Nørre herred
Gejstlig skifteprotokol
1721-1758

2 Simon [Simonsen] Walther, kapellan i Stubbekøbing og Maglebrænde, der døde 5.5.1731, fol.56.
Enkemand efter Anne Nielsdatter Gorm, [død 21.4.1724]. A:
1) mor Maren [Jørgensdatter] g.m. Jens Pedersen, murer i Odense. Første ægteskab med afdødes far Simon Walther, [forvalter på Hellerup hovedgård i Hellerup sogn på Fyn]
2) halvsøster Elisabeth Sofie Jensdatter, død, var g.m. Christian Ommermann, murer i Odense. 3 børn, hvis navne ikke angives
Af fars første ægteskab B:
3) halvsøster Mette Simonsdatter g.m. Niels Nielsen, handskemager
4) halvsøster [Christine Walther], var g.m. Peder Zitscher, superintendent i Holsten, [præst i Tønder, død 20.5.1697]
5) halvsøster [Christiane Dorthe Walther, død august 1695], var g.m. Mads [Jørgensen] Damberg, præst i Falkerslev, [død 5.11.1695]. 1B:
a Barbara Madsdatter g.m. Staale Troense, aftakket matros i København.
Anne Nielsdatter Gorms første ægteskab med [Søren Rasmussen Broch, ridefoged og forstander på Odense Gråbrødre kloster]. Arv til B:
1) Mette Marie [Sørensdatter] nu g.m. Henrik Hoffmeyer, [degn i Sønder Kirkeby og Sønder Alslev]
2) Sofie Hedvig [Sørensdatter g.m. Andreas Hansen Møller i Nykøbing].

So his first marriage must have been very short.

there is a book: Alfred Larsen, Lolland-Falsters degne og skolehodlere, but it is not in the net unfortunately, but maybe someone has the book and can give you informations from that.  Mette Maries Mother is Anne Nielsdatter Gorm married with Søren Rasmussen Broch 

Grethe
Thyholm,Vang, Gislum,Hornum,Hindsted, Slet, Års i Aalborg a. Ginding,Ringkøbing a.Rinds, Fjends,Hindborg,Viborg a. Nybøl, Sottrup,Sønderbog a.sogne i Tyskland, Sunds,Svendborg a.Tuse,Års,Løve i Holbæ

Christina Kaul

Hi Grethe,

thanks for this addition. I did not have all the details from Simon Walters family.

The first sign of life I found for Hendrich Hofmeyer is 1725 in Lillebraende on Falster, where he worked as a teacher.

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/en/billedviser?bsid=153327#153327,25539111 (last entry on the right side)

And then his wedding 1730 in Nykoebing, when he was already Sogn Degn in Sonder Kirkeby of Sonder Alslev.

His first marriage was very short indeed. He married on 10.2.1730 and his wife died on 4.5.1730 when she gave birth to their first child. So obviously she was pregnant before getting married.

His oldest son Peder Christian Hoffmeyer 1730-1783 became skoleholder in Skovsby close to Gundeslev on Falster.

Therefore the book you mentioed should include interesting information on both father and son.

Would you be able to check if there is a skifte for Hendrich Ho(f)mejer following his death on 13.3.1736 in Sonder Kirkeby ? Maybe it says something about his birth date and place.

I have everything I need about Hendrich's children but I need some concrete information where he originated from to find his birth.

The family tree says that Hendrich Hofmejer's father was also called Henrich Hofmejer, a Rittmeister who died 1744 in Fredericia after marrying there the same year Margrete Lindeman. But I have no prove that the two are father and son and the birth of Hendrich 1704 is obviously essential for proving the link.

Regards,

Christina

Grethe Leerbech

send you a link to the churchbook in Fredericia, as you can se there is a rittmester Hendrich Houmeier dead in 1744, if he is father to you Hendrich is a question
i will see if there are eny baptisme in 1704 in fredericia.  Grethe

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?bsid=161978#161978,27209673
Thyholm,Vang, Gislum,Hornum,Hindsted, Slet, Års i Aalborg a. Ginding,Ringkøbing a.Rinds, Fjends,Hindborg,Viborg a. Nybøl, Sottrup,Sønderbog a.sogne i Tyskland, Sunds,Svendborg a.Tuse,Års,Løve i Holbæ

Grethe Leerbech

Henrik Houmeyer is not father to your Hendrich Hofmeyer.
here is his wifes "skifte" - and there were no boy born of him in 1704.

Fredericia byfoged
Skifteprotokol
1774-1797
B 72 - 165

1243 [Margrethe Henriksdatter Linnemann] i Fredericia. 26.6.1783, fol.289.
Enke efter [Henrik] Houmeyer, ritmester, [død 27.8.1744]. B:
1) [Henriette Houmeyer] g.m. Tersted, visiterer i Moldes i Norge.

Grethe

Christina Kaul

Hi Grethe,

Hendrich Hofmeyer married Margrethe Lindeman only on 20 March 1744 in Fredericia but died already on 27 August 1744. his daughter Henriette was born after his death on 17 January 1745. So I suppose the skifte of his widow Margrethe would not include children from a first marriage born before 1744.

Is there a skifte from Hendrich Homeyers death 1744 in Fredericia ? This would help....

I just found something interesting - namely the death of Margrethe Elizabeth Homejer on 27.10.1724 in Vaalse / Falster with an age of 44 years and 7 months (birth date around 1680). Age-wise this could be the mother of Hendrich born in 1704.

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/en/billedviser?bsid=159099#159099,26747200

The beginning of the family tree is a bit 'creative' to my understanding.

First, comes Henrich Hofmejer. He is a Rittmester of the Kongelig Livgard and dies on 23 January 1692 in Kolding (I checked the churchbook). His age at death would put his birth date to 1634. His arm coat is hanging in the St. Nicolai church in Kolding (which I have not checked). I read on MyHeritage that he is originally from Frankonia / Franken in Germany. No idea where that comes from. I am doing quite a bit of family research in Southern Germany and Hofmayer (in different spellings) is a pretty common name.

Second, comes Henrich Homejer who is also a Rittmester but in a Jysk Regiment and turns up in Fredericia around 1740. He marries Margrete Lindemann in 1744 and dies there in August 1744 (I checked both marriage and death in the church book). His age at death would put his birth date to 1687.

There is also a Johan Hoffmeyr, a musquetier - first at the Cpt Holstein, later at the Cpt. Jensen companie - who has children in Fredericia in 1728 and 1730. In 1726 a Anne Catharina Lisbeth Hofmeier  has an illegitimate son Mathias Edmund in Fredericia.

Then there are also Hofmeyer soldiers in Odense.
Jacob Hofmeier marries on 8.4.1723 in Odense Maren Steffensdatter and they have children in Odense until 1731. 1740 perhaps another son is born in Frederiksberg Kbhv (the birth entry reads Johan instead of Jacob but Maren Steffensdatter). Jacob dies on 25.11.1762 as Ritmester of the Major Ranch Ryter Compagnie in Roenninge og Rolsted close to Odense. His age at death would put his birth to 1690.
Johann Sebastian Hofmeyer, Kurasier in the Leutnant Kalckrenter Compagnie marries 21.5.1737 in Odense Kirsten Jurgensdatter. Children from the couple are born until 1739 in Odense, 1740 and 1741 in Assens and Kirsten dies 1749 in Odense. In 1751 and 1753 there are more children in Faborg with a new mother Anne Jensdatter.

So in principle Henrich the older could be the father of all these soldiers: Henrich, Johan, Jacob and Bastian + a daughter Anne Catharine. Kolding - Fredericia - Odense seems also quite possible.

Third, comes then Henrich Hofmeier born in 1704, perhaps in Kbh. Nothing known of him before being a teacher in Lillebraende on Falster in 1725.

The two links from Henrich * 1634 to Henrich *1687 and then to Henrich *1704 seem a bit unproven to me at this stage !

Regards,

Christina

Grethe Leerbech

Hi Christina
I will try if I can find something, but I have not found any "skifte" from Henrich Homeyer in Fredericia 1744 in Fredericia Byfoged

here is his allowance to marry Margrethe without any engagement and with or at a foreign priest. .

Film fra Rigsarkivet
M 544323–544325

Jyske registre
1743-1751

Kongelige bevillinger til ægteskab i forbudne led.

Ritmester Henrich Homeyer af Fredericia bevilling at lade sig vie af uvedkommende præst.
Bevilger og tillader, at Os elskelige ritmester Henrich Homeyer og Margarethe Lindemans af Vor stabelstad Fredericia, må uden foregående trolovelse og lysning af prædikestolen, hiemme i huset sammenvies, af hvilken præst de det begierer, og dertil godvilligen kan formå, når den påbudte accise er betalt etc. Dog skal brudevielsen ske af een ved en ordentlig menighed beskikket sognepræst, som for sin forretnings rigtighed kan være ansvarlig. Christiansborg den 20 marts 1744.

Grethe

Christina Kaul

Hi Grethe,

thanks for all the help. My main problem is finding the relevant documents outside of church books.

I found that there was a skifte for Henrik Hofmeier who died in 1736 in Falster.

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=17256610#211723,40010208

https://www.sa.dk/daisy/arkivserie_detaljer?a=&b=&c=skifte+falster&d=1&e=2016&f=&g=&h=&ngid=&ngnid=&heid=17064899&henid=17064899&epid=&faid=&meid=&m2rid=&side=&sort=&dir=&gsc=&int=&ep=&es=&ed=

I suppose the originals are in the Rigsarchiv or do they only have the register for the skifte ? Where would then the skifte be ?

Regards,

Christina

Grethe Leerbech

Here are the i nformation about Henrik Homeyers tombstone and also his tombflag 8no picture) from the book over kolding Church

Page 764
Fig. 186), o. 1692, over Heinick Ho[meyer], ritmester ved livgarden (jf. †gravfane nr. 3), født i [Holstein], †27. sept. 1692 på ærens seng, i sin alders 58. år efter som brav soldat at have udvist tro tjeneste. Grå kalksten, 187×121 cm. Den ty-ske gravskrift er udført med indhuggede versaler hen over stenens midte. Foroven et fordybet felt med hans våbenskjold. Gravstenen er rejst imod tårnrummets sydlige væg.

I cannot copy the picture

page 790

1692, over ritmester Heinick Homeyer (jf. gravsten nr. 30). Gravfanen, der havde samme indskrift som hans gravsten, var af sort silke og hang 1730 i koret; senere var den hensat i våben-huset.302

http://danmarkskirker.natmus.dk/uploads/tx_tcchurchsearch/Vejle_0583-0812.pdf

Grethe

Grethe Leerbech

Hi Christina

Yes, this one has not been digitalisized yet, but when asking the rigsarkiv they probably can tell you when it will be.
There is a chance that it has been digitalisized in familysearch. But I dont, know what they call "skifter" in english and where they put them. sometimes they have arkivalier which are not yet digitalisized

Grethe

Christina Kaul

Hi Grethe,

thanks a lot for the tombstone of Hendrich Homeyer in Kolding St. Nicolai church !

It is difficult to read the script on the tombstone, what does the (Holstein) mean in the description ? Did it say Holstein on the tombstone but it is no longer readable ? So is this a prove that he came from Holstein ?

I really wonder if Homeier and Hofmeyer are the same family name but at least for Hendrich Hofmejer * 1704 both versions with and without f were used with the same person. For me Homeyer is more Northern German - there are families with that name in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Hofmayer is more southern German - but maybe I am wrong and it is just that the priest did not know exactly how the name was spelled.

I will see if I can find the Hendrich Hofmejer 1736 skifte on FamilySearch. I will be in Kobnhavn over Easter. I will try to spend a day in the Rigsarchiv as I still need to look at the Goldt-Speis divorce case and I could have a look at the skifte as well on that occasion.

The first wedding of Hendrich Hofmejer with Sidsel Hammer in Nybobing in 1730 does not provide any useful information other then the two names and date. But the second wedding in 1731 with Mette Marie Broch lists the witnesses. Several of them are military - does that give a hint that Hofmejer is from a military family ?

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/en/billedviser?bsid=156991#156991,26325347

In the skifte register I also found a skifte for a Lars Hammer in 1733 who was the skoleholder of Nykobing latin skole. He could be the father of Sidsel Hammer. If so either Hendrich Hofmejer or his son Peder Christian Hofmejer * 1730 should be referenced there.

Christina

Grethe Leerbech

I don't know if they are military people. But His best man is Detlev Flindt- in which house they are married, and her guardian is Jørgen Stodager. It sounds as if none of them have familymembers in the neighbourhood- near them

about Holstein at the gravestoen, Yes there is a picture in the book also- if you try the link I gave you then at page 764 there are picture of the stone.  One cannot read it in the stone, but at his grave banner (they don't speak about where it hangs to-day) they probably have read it, or his weapon might come from Holstein (familyweapon) You can ask the church administration where it hangs and if it's possible to get a picture of it.

Sometimes it helps a lot if one reads the fathers at the baptisme, because they often are the family - if the parents and brothers/sisters are not dead or live far away. I hope and think you will find something useful in the "skifte"
Grethe

Christina Kaul

I already looked at the book about St.Nicolai Church in Kolding and had hoped I could read some of German writing on the tombstone from the picture but that's not possible. I will write to Kolding church to see if I can get a picture from the flag and more informationabout the Holstein part.

I checked the Flindt and Stadager families. Both are local Falster priest families with several family members being priests and sogne degns in the area.

Mette Marie Broch was pretty much without family at the moment of her weeding. Her parents were both from respectable Odense families. Her father Soren Rasmussen Broch was ridefoged og forstander på Odense Gråbrødre kloster. He already died in 1705 and his widow Anne Nielsdatter Gorm, the daughter of Odense merchand and aldermand Niels Lauritsen Gorm, remarried 1712 with Simon Simonsen Walther, who was / became priest in Stubbekoebbing. So Anne moved with her new husband and the two daughters from first marriage to Falster. She died in 1724 and I suppose Mette Marie continued to stay with her stepfather. Simon Walther died in March 1731, so just a couple of months before Mette Marie's wedding in August 1731. The only other family member around was her sister Henriette who was married in the area. Jorgen Pedersen Stadager was the son of Peder Jorgensen Stadager, priest first in Eskildstrup and later in Aastrup, both Falster. His brother Claus Pedersen Stadager was degn in Astrup. Jorgen Stadager was at the moment of the wedding probably already degn in Stubbekobing.

Hendrik Hofmejer was probably without family in Falster. If his mother was really Margrete Elizavbeth Homejer wo died in 1724 in Vaalse, she was dead by 1731 and we don't know anything about the father. Detlev Flindt was from Nykobing and at the moment of marriage degn in Nybobing. He also later moved to Stubbekoebing.

I have one bit of more information on Hendrik Homejer 1634-1692 - but its so vague that I have not mentioned it before. The family tree says that he was married to a Magrete NN who died in 1672. He then married in 1673 Elsbe Holst, daugther of Claus Holst and Catharina. Elsbe Holst died in 1698. But I have no pricise dates nor location. Some MyHeritage trees claim that Elsbe Holst was actually the first wife of Hendrik Homejer 1687 - 1744 and therefore the mother of Hendrik Hofmejer 1704 - 1736. The death I found in Vaalse in 1724 actually relates to a Magrete Elizabeth Homejer - so there seems some relation to the Hoffmeyer family tree, although not clear at all.

Regards,
Christina

Grethe Leerbech

There is a Hendrik Homeyer ritmester dead in Kolding churchbook 23.1. 1693.
About ritmester H. Homeyer etc. who died in 1744, Its written in Nygårds sedler, that there are no ordinary "skifte".

I doubt some , that your degn/clerk in Kirkeby and Nr.Aaslev is out of a military family! At that time the families mostly stayd in ther class and rang, so military families became military persons soldiers etc, and families with priests, clerks and administrative jobs within the state and local governments stayd there and the sons also got work within the same.
a clerk should be educated in some school, latin school, so he could read and write, remember he was a teacher too.

We have a fine register over all the officers in Denmark and Norway, Hirchs register - but i have found none Hoemeyer, Hofmejer etc. with different spellings.

But Nygård writes that the ritmester who died in 1744 was a ritmester at Oberst Rauches regiment. and a "skifte" from Bornholm in 1685 says that Henrik Hofmeier is ritmester in the royal Livgarde 1685- but it could be another person.  Se Nygaards sedler.

http://www.skifteuddrag-bornholm.dk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Transskrib_LS4.pdf
Lieutnant Hans Koefoed i Pedersker sogn fordred paa sin Principal Henrik Hofmeier Ritmester under Kongl: Mayst: Lifgarde som denne gaard er tillagt resterende restands for Aa 1684 som Specialeter her efter forclares nemlig 2 pund 13 mrk., smør punded 7 mrk er 4 Sld. 1 mrk. 13 skl., en tønde Rug 3 Sld., 1 tønde 1 skeppe Biug 2 Sld. 2 mrk. 13 skl., Jordebogs skat og egte penge 8 Sld. 1 mrk. 13 skl., er i alt 18 Sld. 2 mrk. 7 skl., for Aa 1685 rester 4 pund 3½ mrk smør er 7 Sld. 1 mrk. 1½ skl., en tønde Rug for 3 Sld., 1 tønde 1 skeppe Biug 2 Sld. 2 mrk. 13 skl., 1 tønde 3 skepper Aure 1 Sld. 2 mrk. 7 skl., Jordebogs skat og Egte penge 8 Sld. 1 mrk. 13 skl., er 23 Sld. 2½ skl., Er og beløber saa denne restands sig til penge 41 Sld. 2 mrk. 9½ skl., 

It says that the farm which are "skiftet" belongs to the Royal majestys Livgarde accord. the "jordebog" for 1684 and then it tells what to pay in tax 
Grethe

Christina Kaul

Grethe,

Thanks for all your help ! I tend to agree with you. My feeling says that the first two Hendrik Homeier 1635-1692 and 1687-1744 are related, probably also the soldiers Hofmeyer on Fyn but I cannot see the link to Falster.

Also, age-wise this looks a bit stretched. Hendrik Homeier dies 1744 and his age at death points towards 1687 as birth date. True, age details at death are often pretty inaccurate. So he might be a bit younger. His 'son' is born around 1704 - that is probably relatively accurate as he dies in 1736 at the age of only 32 and at that young age mistakes on age are more rare - which would put the father at age 17-20 at the birth of the son. Possible but a bit tight !

The Bornholm skifte is very interesting. Looks like the same Hendrik Ho(f)meier - would be strange if there are two Retmester Hendrik Hofmeier in the Lifeguard at the same time. But if I interprete the wording of the skifte correctly, it does not necessarily say that Hendrik Hofmeier ever lived in Bornholm, right ? He just owned the farm there. Hans Kofoed must also have been in the Lifeguard if Hendrik Hofmeier was his Principal.

I had looked at Nygaards sedler - it seems he was interested in the family as there are quite a few Homejer cards. But I sometimes have difficulties reading his handwriting and making sense of the abréviations he uses. So I missed the skifte information for the 1744 death of Hendrik !

The 1744 marriage of Hendrik Hofmeier says that he was a ritmester in the 5th Jysk Rytter Regiment. Would this or the reference to the Oberst Rauches regiment allow me to find more information on him ?

I also found early Hofmeiers in Helsingor (as of 1600), in Kobnhavn (as 1675) and in Vivild / Estruplund in Jylland (as of 1660). 

I think I will look at the Homeier 1736 skifte next and also see if I find something more in Vaalse on Falster in relation to the 1724 death of Magrete Eliszbeth Homejer age 44 years. Thisnsounds the most promising at this stage.

Regards,

Christina

Grethe Leerbech

Hi Christina
Search in collection -

If you look in Denmark under Military show all 461 you will then see a register for all the different regiments in denmark- some of them are digitalised but some of them one has to ask to get them in a naerby library or familyserachcenter. has all the "military books which are kept "stambøger" from 1675- 1924.  under military records (37) .

If Rauchs regiment is the same as 5th Jyske rytterregiment i don't know About 5th Jyske rytterregiment I only know, that in 1741
it came to Fredericia.

here is the story about the regiment:

Her er du: Om Jydske Dragonregiment > Historie
Historien bag Jydske Dragonregiment

Jyske Dragonregiment

Jyske Dragonregiment blev dannet ved en sammenlægning af 3. og 5. Dragonregiment i 1932.

3. Dragonregiment, oprettet 1. august 1670.

1670 Slesvigske nationale Rytterregiment
1675 Holstenske nationale Rytterregiment
1678 Slesvigske nationale Rytterregiment,
1681 2. Fynske nationale Rytterregiment
1763 Fyenske geworbne Dragonregiment
1772 Fyenske Regiment Ryttere
1785 Fyenske Regiment Dragoner
1796 Fyenske Regiment lette Dragoner
1842 6. Dragonregiment
1865-1932 3. Dragon Regiment

5. Dragonregiment, oprettet 1. november 1679

1677 Wedels geworbne Münsterske Rytterregiment
1679 5. Jydske nationale Rytterregiment
1748 3. Jydske nationale Rytterregiment
1763 Jydske geworbne Rytteregiment
1771 Jydske Regiment Ryttere
1785 Jydske Regiment Dragoner
1796 Jydske Regiment lette Dragoner
1842-1932 5. Dragonregiment

Motto: Fortes Fortuna Juvat

3rd and 5th dragonregiment became Jyske dragonregiment in 1932.

first it consist of professionel soldiers. But soon it became a national regiment. It owned estates in Jylland. From 1697-17700 it participated in the war between germsny retc. and france (The spanish sucession). In n1714 it went home and in 1716-1720 it got Antvorskov Rytterdistrikt in sealand (sjælland9
1729 it moved to Vordingborg with 4 comp in næstved, 3 in vordingborg, 1 in Præstø
1741 it came to fredeicia the staff and 4 comp. and the rest went to randers and Horsens. It consists of 6 compagnies.

If hendrik Homeyer is the father to your degn I think he would have been born in Lolland/Falster. Thats why I give you this overwiev. But it doesn't give answer about Rauches regiment is the 5th regiment .

grethe

Grethe Leerbech

Oberst Chr. B. Rauch was oberst at the 3rd jyske regiment at horse- - se Nygaard - but as you can see they merged them to 5th dragonregiment. -but 3rd jyske rytterregiment started in 1748 so it could be that oberst rauch was in 5th up to then. rytter means rider  or at horse.  So 5th reg. only was until1748 then it changed to 3rd reg.

Grethe Leerbech

Hi again Christina

This morning I have thought a bit over your ancestor Henrik Hofmeyer, and have the following comments:

1. Henrik Homeyer dead 1744 is from Holstein, I think they put it in paranthesis because one cannot read it one the stone, but they know he is from Holstein both because of his banner and because of the coat of arms.
2. A ritmester is not a man from the lower classes: farmers, skilled workers, or even scolar families, they are from noble families, which also his coat of arms show. A ritmester has at least 1 compagnie under them, more often a regiment (regiment comes in 2 classes, the big regiment under an general, oberst etc, and a lower regiment under -here - a ritmester.
3.Maybe he was not at the 5th Jyske from the beginning, but from Holstein I think  he participated in the Spanish succession, also because his family must have known the different Schleswig-Holstein's princes and dukes etc.  Probably the Duke of Holstein-Gottorp. So if he participated in that fight he was away from Denmark from 1697 -1714.  And as you write he would only be 17-20 years in 1704. Also I think that he would not marry in such early age. From 16 yers he would be Kadet and go to school to be educated as soldier and officer.

About the "degn"/Clerk. Henrik Hofmeyer from Kirkeby and Nr. Aslev.
A clerk is appointed by the lord in the mannor to which the parish belongs. Sometimes the lord himself ownes the church at that time. Then it might be possible to find his appointment in the "justitsbog" from the herredsting or birketing, or in another book "letters to and from administration king etc. often called "kopibog". Do you know which mannor the parish belongs to?  If such book still are kept they often are digitalised.

Also a clerk should read and write, so probably he is out of a scolar family who send the sons at latin school to have the same or similiar carriers (ex. in the administration at i.e. the lord or town etc. )

Would it be an idea if I in danish - or yourself in english- under the forum" opslag i bøger" ask someone to look up in the book Alfred Larsen: Lollands-Falsters degne og skoleholdere" and tell whats stand there.

Grethe

Christina Kaul

Hi Grethe,

I think you are perfectly right that we are talking about two different families.

Thanks for reminding me of Hirsch !

If found the two Hendrik Hoemejers in the Hirsch collection:

Hendrik *1635 joined the Lifeguard in 1671 and became ritmester in 1684.

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/en/billedviser?epid=17202077#198748,37660587

I also found this about him - is this a reference to a skifte ? If yes, where could I find it ?

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/en/billedviser?epid=17022167#132099,21230773

Hendrik * 1687 joined the 5th Jysk Ryter Regiment in 1718 and became ritmester in 1735.

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/en/billedviser?epid=17202077#198748,37660586

I also found a Caspar Hoffmejer but cannot really read all on his card.

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/en/billedviser?epid=17202077#198749,37660755

So I think I will need to pursue other venus as you suggested with respect to Hendrik Homejer * 1704.
I have identified someone who has a scanned copy of the Alfred Larsen book. If he does not respond I will ask via the forum.

How can I identify the herred to which Sonder Kirkeby / Sonder Alslev / Horbelev belonged  ?
I know how to do this in the old Austrian-Hungarian monarchy but not in denmark - feel a bit handicapped !  :)

Regards,

Christina

Grethe Leerbech

Hendrik 1635 died i  januar 1693 as you know. No hints of a "skifte"
Hendrik 1744, is called Hans here. Kornet at 5th Jyske 1718, Leutenant at the same 1727, Ritmester at the same 1735  and responsible for a regiment in Fredericia from 1741 to 1744. According to his dead there is a case the 4. 9. 1744 Paragraph 33, he calles the book with documents for "stikflov" in Archiev "Sager". But I must admit I don't know what that is - and where except of course Rigsarkivet. In this case i think you should "Ask the rigsarkiv", called "Spørg arkivaren" with copy of what Hirsch has written here. It might be a "Skifte"

Casper Hoffmeyer is a "fireman" I think he has fabricated the ammunition or maybe also fabrication of canons. It says he was present in the fight at Halmstad in Sweden, and after that he (as thanks maybe) ask for "Slykfunders plads" which I think is a place in Sweden.
But it is found in "rigsarkivet "Indkomne sager januar 1677 no. 95" .
I am not sure what Hirsch refers to, when he only writes so, maybe the stateadministration or the kings /hoffets administration.   

I will try to see if i can find what mannor Kirkeby etc. belonged to. And then give you the information here.
grethe

Grethe Leerbech

Her is a link to the herred.  As you cn see it is falster Nørre herred-haven't found the mannor yet

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsters_N%C3%B8rre_Herred

And here you have Maribo amts  "gejstlige" /clerical skifter  but i haven't found Hendrik 1736, so maybe he is only a teacher not a degn. The degn died in 1737 . If a degn could not read and write he was allowed to employ a schoolteacher to de this for him.

But you wrote he died in sønder Kirkeby?  which actually is in Falster Søndre herred- and thats not digitalisezed

Here are the mannors in both Nørre and sønder falster herred - and the link to them

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herreg%C3%A5rde_i_Maribo_Amt

6 Musse Herred

Falsters Nørre Herred

Pandebjerg
   Orenæsgaard
   Valnæsgaard
   Vennerslund
   Gammel Kirstineberg
   Ny Kirstineberg

Falsters Sønder Herred

Skjørringe
   Dalbyegaard
   Gjedsergaard
   Orupgaard
   Corselitze

as you can see most of them belongs to the crown and both herreder belongs to The kings rytterdistrikt - means rider estates
so I think we should find the archieves at the statsadministration or maybe at the military archievs. Here you must ask others about
where to find archiev over Falsters rytterdistrikter in 1600-1780  or something likely 

Christina Kaul

Hi Grethe,

thanks a lot for all this. Hendrick Homejer lived in 1725 in Nordre Herred Falster, namely as teacher in Lillebraende. Between 1730 and 1736 he was then sogn degn in Sondre Kirkeby og Sondre Alslev. He may have also lived in Horbelev where his children were born in 1732, 1734 and 1736. The daughter got born in 1736 only a week before Hendrich died. All of these locations are in Sondre Herred Falster and part of the Nybobing Falster Rytter district.

I think I am now clear how to proceed:

1. I will see with the rigsarkiv if I can locate the skifte / case for the two deceased Hendrich Homeyer 1692 and 1744.

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/en/billedviser?epid=17022167#132099,21230773

This looks like there was a skifte for the older Hendrik - it refers to 1694 which is the year after his death. Also see the title of the document series.

In case we can find these documents they should clarify if there is a direct link between the two (I doubt they are father and son) and if Hendrik Homejer who died in 1744 had other children than his daughter Henriette.

2. I will look at the skifte of Hendrich Hoffmejer 1736 which is part of the non-digitalized documents of Sondre Herred Falster when I am in Kobenhavn for Easter.

3. I will check the book by Alan Larsen on Hendrich Homejer 1704-1736 and his son Peter Christian Hofmeyer 1730-1783 who was skoleholder in Skovby near Gundelev.

4. I had a look at the Rigsarkiv with respect to Falster Rytter. Hendrich Hoffmejer's nommination as sogn degn must be between 1725 and 1730 but I could not find any obvious archivseries where any nommination document could be included. I will also check on this with the Rigsarkiv.

I will report back once I know more ! Thanks for now !

Regards,

Christina