Maren Haaning in Vindblæs

Startet af Susan Russell, 03 Jun 2011 - 19:18

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Susan Russell

I have been doing a lot of work on my Danish ancestry and have finally come so close to finding a link to our family legend of "the Danish Witch!" My great aunt told stories of our relative who was a well known witch and luckily my sister wrote down her name: Marin Honning. After some googling, I found the more common spelling was Maren Haaning. I even found information about a book written about her: De Kloge Koner I Vindblaes – Maren Haaning. She was from Engelstrup in Vindblæs, and I do have ancestors from there at the same time period. I think I have even found relatives who were sponsors at Maren's christening, but I just can't get that final link to show a relationship. So, here's what I have on my family and Maren Haaning's family (this is all from Vindblæs parish):

Maren Kirstine Christensdatter (1782 - 13 Dec 1853) married Jens Larsen Haaning (1781 - ?)

Maren's siblings: Else Christensdatter (1776), Niels Christensen (1778), Jacob Christensen (1785), and Mette Kirstine Christensdatter (1789)

Maren's parents: Margrethe Nielsdatter (1753 - 1790) and Christen Andersen (1742 - ?)

This is where I run into problems. It seems that Margrethe Nielsdatter and Christen Andersen were not born in Vindblæs (or I can't find their records anyway) and since there isn't any census or afgangs/tilgangs info that far back, I can't track them down. I'm really hoping that someone else has found that info and my google skills just aren't good enough to track it down!

So here's the info on my family in Vindblæs

My great-great-great-great-grandfather was Marcus Jensen (1748 - 1799 [d. in Næsborg])
Marcus' siblings were Maren Jensdatter (1744) [possibly a sponsor for Maren Kirstine Christensdatter's christening], Poul Jensen (1745 - 1814) [another possible sponsor], and Jens Jensen (1751).
Marcus' parents were Jens Jensen (1709) and Karen Knudsdatter (1710)

Jens' parents were Jens Melsen and Karen Pedersdatter (married 1701) and his siblings were Melsen Jensen (1706), Cidzel Jensdatter (1715), Peder Jensen (1717), Johan Jensen (1721) and Anne Jensen (1725)

Karen's parents were Knud Marcusen and Maren Andersdatter and her siblings were Else Knudsdatter (1703), Marcus Knudsen (1704), Maren Knudsdatter (1706), Anders Knudsen (1707), Anne Knudsdatter (1709), Mette Knudsdatter (1714), Jens Knudsen (1716), and Niels Knudsen (1720).

I'm in the process of working my way back down this tree, especially with the Jensens who seem most likely to be related to Maren Haaning. Any help or information is greatly appreciated! I loved hearing stories about our Danish witch when I was a kid and it's pretty thrilling to learn that she was a real person.
Areas of Interest:
København
Roskilde > Ramsø
Præsto > Strøby and Herfølge
Ålborg > Års > Flejsborg
Ålborg > Slet > Bjørnsholm, Kornum, Løgsted, Løgstor, Næsborg, Oudrup, Vindblæs

heine petersen

hello Susan

nice readings....

I my self have a lot of ancesters from Vindblæs and Vilsted areas..

and yes i am familiary with Maren Haaning... there is a booklet written of her life and doings (witchcraft) in Vindblæs paris and more. ..nice reading by the way...but :-( its in danish...

i dont think that we have a match in ancesters... it seems that you are coming out of a diffrent family that mine..but still from the same area.

mayby I can do some help for you in yours search...

heine

Mette R Francke

Hi

http://www.landsarkivetkbh.dk/arkivskatte/klogekoner.htm

Google translator
woman dynasty of wise women
In approx. 100 years could be both sick and bewitched get help from the wise Maren Haaning in Vindblæs. It was almost a sort of family business, run by several generations Haaning-women.

Maren had magic book Cyprian, she could eg provide blood and show again. Demonstrating once again meant that she could "see" where stolen or lost items were gone.

Ability and Cyprian went further: from the first Martha, to her daughter, granddaughter and oldedatter. All the women were called Mary. The third version was actually christened Karen Marie. But now one is accustomed to the famous wise woman in Vindblæs name was Mary.

Doctors did not like "the dangerous kvaksalverske". How was she mentioned in the medical report from 1846. This is probably the first Maren in Dynasty, it's about. She lived from 1782 - 1853, and when she died that fysikus'en it in his reporting. He did not see that it would help to kvaksalveriforholdene as son in law had taken over her magic books.

The folk tradition is full of stories about how Mary - by magic and with humor - could get the shovel in the local magistrate

From this link
http://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php?1,76360,76425

According to Jens Bråten book "More Himmerland originals" it appears that the first Maren Haaning, dubbed Maren Kirstine Christensen daughter was married in 1816 with Jens Laursen Haaning (from Han District Energy), there is probably other than Jens Laursen, who left the district, so it is not certain that it is the right thread.? There was also a part boat trading between his District and Norway in older times

http://sus-duun.dk/ contact this person , maybe she can help you

Mette

Mette R Francke

Susan Russell

Heine,
Actually, a previous thread of yours came up when I searched for Maren Haaning. I would be very interested in anything else you find out about the family, in any generation. I may try to get a copy of the booklet (there were a few offered on some antique book sites) -- I have a Norwegian friend who could probably translate. Does the booklet have anything about where Maren I's parents came from?

Mette,
I had seen the first site earlier -- very interesting about the magic Cyprian book -- it sounds like a movie! I will definitely try looking through Han parish (I think there are two -- east and west?) for Jens Larsen Haaning. I hope they aren't very large parishes. I am also going to contact the woman at the last site -- her family relationship looks to be more recent, but it looks like she has some interesting information on the family.

Here are the links for the family trees on ancestry.com (I don't know if people can see them if they are not a member):

Maren Haaning tree: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/27451547/family
My family tree: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/9303182/family

Thank you for the assistance!
Areas of Interest:
København
Roskilde > Ramsø
Ålborg > Års > Flejsborg

Lars B. Dahl

Citat fra: Susan Russell Dato 03 Jun 2011 - 19:18

Maren Kirstine Christensdatter (1782 - 13 Dec 1853) married Jens Larsen Haaning (1781 - ?)

Maren's siblings: Else Christensdatter (1776), Niels Christensen (1778), Jacob Christensen (1785), and Mette Kirstine Christensdatter (1789)

Maren's parents: Margrethe Nielsdatter (1753 - 1790) and Christen Andersen (1742 - ?)

This is where I run into problems. It seems that Margrethe Nielsdatter and Christen Andersen were not born in Vindblæs (or I can't find their records anyway) and since there isn't any census or afgangs/tilgangs info that far back, I can't track them down. I'm really hoping that someone else has found that info and my google skills just aren't good enough to track it down!

Hi Susan.

My Grandfather (Svend B. Olesen) wrote a book about "De Kloge Koner fra Vindblæs", I'll quote his book (with my translation to English).

In 1731 Anders Larsen Borup and Else Pedersdatter got the copyhold farm [in Engelstrup, Vindblæs]. More than 40 years later their son Chresten Andersen Borup took over his father's copyhold farm after marrying Margrethe Nielsdatter from Binderup near Nibe on 29. November 1772.

My grandfather quotes Nibe-Vokslev churchbook for the wedding date.

I hope this helps you in your search.

Susan Russell

Lars,
Thank you for the information -- I wish your grandfather's book was available in English!

I looked for the marriage record. I couldn't find anything that matched entirely. There was a record on opslag 262 for Sep 10, 1772 (Nibe-Vokslev) that could be it.

However, I was able to find the birth records for Christen and several siblings in Vindblæs now that you provided the parents names. If anyone else is interested, I can list the names and locations.

Thanks!

Susan
Areas of Interest:
København
Roskilde > Ramsø
Ålborg > Års > Flejsborg

Børge Boyding

Hello Susan

Currently we are playing a stage play locally dealing with Maren Haaning. The local authors and the director possess a fair amount of knowledge about Maren Haaning and might be able contribute to your personal genealogy. If you are interested, you may write to me at boyding@os.dk and I will put you in touch with these people.

Best wishes

Borge Boyding