translation please from Tønder, Tønder Tønder1763-1795

Startet af Marlon Henvit, 06 Maj 2019 - 19:36

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Marlon Henvit

I would appreciate a translation for the death of Lorenz Matthiessen December 1780 which can be found at Tønder, Tønder, Tønder 1763-1795, Opslag 491 top of the page 1st entry.

Marlon Henvit
Mesquite, Nevada USA

Ole Westermann

My translation from German:

1780 died Dec. 6 buried Dec. 11
Lorenz Matthiesen (usually furrier) 58 years old; leaves behind his wife Karen, daughter of Christen Jacobsen and Anna Catharina, born Petersen, from Ballum, besides 2 children, Christina unmarried, and Johanna Lucia who is married to the tailor Carsten Jacobsen, who with her has raised a daughter named Maria.

mvh Ole

Inger Toudal

Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Ole Westermann

And 'usually' and 'also called' are synonymous.

Marlon Henvit

Thanks to all who responded. You have all provided valuable information for me,

Marlon Henvit
Mesquite, Nevada USA

Pernille

I have been looking for more info on this Lorenz Matthiesen for ages, and stumbled upon this thread when searching the forum yesterday. I know the thread is old, but hope you're still around, Marlon. Lorenz was my 5xgreatgrandfather and his birth and parents are quite a mystery. Perhaps my biggest brickwall!
So I do hope you see this and will get in touch as I'm very curious to know about your connection to him and whether you perhaps have some of the info that I miss (I also sent you a message).

I know that Lorenz was a shoemaker (Schuster in German) and a freemason which might indicate that he arrived to Tønder as a soldier. One thing is sure, he was not born in Tønder. The name Peltzer seems to be a family name. I have found others in Tønder with the same name but can't find out whether they were related as up until 1740/63 only churchbooks containing births/baptisms are available.

As Ole kindly translated, Lorenz had two daugthers (and two sons who died during childhood), Christina and Johanna Lucia. Johanna Lucia was married to Carsten, who was a shoemaker (and not tailor, at least it was it stated when Carsten himself died in 1796) and they had one daugther, Maria, who is my 3xgreatgrandmother. I have previously made question/post about Lorenz daugther Johanna Lucia in this forum. Am adding the link here in order to gather the information in one place:
https://forum.slaegt.dk/index.php/topic,66266.msg349504.html#msg349504

It has been suggsted in a Facebook group that Lorenz could have been a geworbne/hired soldier. In that case he could be from any where, most probably some where in Germany. I just wonder where and hope you may know something?

Pernille
Mvh
Pernille J Petersen