Lægdsrulle vedr. Niels Peter Andersen f. 17/3 1859 i Ubberud, Odense Amt

Startet af Marianne Bjørkøe, 15 Sep 2019 - 22:05

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Marianne Bjørkøe

Mon nogen kan hjælpe mig med at tyde lægdsrulleteksten vedr. Niels Peter Andersen, f. 17/3 1859 i Ubberud, Odense Amt.

Kilde: https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?bsid=19407#19407,1454987.

Lægdsrulle 3. udskrivningskreds.  1877 A Tilgangsrulle 136 – 1877 A Tilgangsrulle 275. Side 131. Lægd nr. 160 Ubberud Sogn.
Øverst til venstre: Niels Peder Andersen. Født 17/3 1859  Kilde: https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?bsid=19407#19407,1454987

Han udvandrede til USA fra Hamburg. Ankomst til New York 20. maj. 1884.

Uddrag af mailkorrespondance, modtaget fra Tucson, Arizona vedr. Niels Peter Andersen, f. 17/3 1859 Ubberud,, Odense Amt:

My great grandfather Niels Peter Andersen was born in Ubberud parish on March 17, 1859.  His father was Anders Christian Nielsen born Dec. 8, 1824, his mother was Ane Petrine (also shown as Katherine) Andersen (modified last name by new naming conventions?) born about 1817 based on stated age in census but 1825 by marriage records, if I have the correct marriage records, maybe not, there appear to be two families with similar names and dates.  I am having difficulty finding the parents of Ane and Anders because there are so many possibilities but none of them appear to line up in agreement with other data.

Niels Peter Andersen moved from Ubberud to Paarup in 1875.  In the 1880 census his parents are shown alive in Ubberud but with no children in the household.  Niels Peter Andersen appears in a household as a servant helper in Odense, Kjøbstad in 1880.    Next record I have, May 20, 1884 he has arrived in New York harbor on a ship from Hamburg (a common port of departure for Danes).

My great grandmother Rønnaug (called Rena in the USA) would come over from Kristiania July of 1887.  The family story is that she met Niels in Bergen, Norway, when he was working as a merchantman in the Swedish merchant fleet.  Her father would not permit a marriage until Niels had a better life than that of a sailor, says the family lore.  He found work in New York and then later in the lumber industry, they were married in Michigan in 1889.

Here is the mystery; Niels appears to have come from very poor circumstances (father listed as day laborer).  The story he left behind is that he had been in the Danish Army as an officer, he had attended school in Edinburgh, Scotland, he had been an officer in the Swedish merchant marine.  He did appear to be very good with numbers, spoke English well by my grandfather's recollection, was able to converse in German, and I imagine had no problem with the Scandinavian languages.  He was put in charge of several saw mills so demonstrated some leadership qualities.  He liked to gamble and drink (big surprise).

I can find no records of him having served in the Danish army (supposedly he was in the artillery and was sent to Scotland to study logistics).  I can find no record of him or any other Dane having attended the University in Edinburgh and know of no other college in the area that he might have attended.  My knowledge of the Danish army and society tells me someone from poor circumstances would not have been in the officer corps.  I find no record of him in the Swedish merchant marine but I do find three records of a Neils Andersen entering the US on different ships, one of which was Swedish, during the period 1881 to 1884.  However the occupation of one says tailor, another say sailor, so probably not the same man.

Mvh
Marianne Bjørkøe
mail: marianne.bjorkoe@gmail.com

Morten Nielsen

Her er hans militære stamblad - kræver gratis medlemskab af FamilySearch. Mødt ved 18. Bataillons 3. kompagni den 1. april 1882 og hjemsendt den 12. juni 1882 som "for tiden utjenstdygtig".

Venlig hilsen
Morten Nielsen

Inger Toudal

Under Vedtegninger læser jeg:

Anm. 17/2 76
1882 EK 5 No 119.
1883: Mødt, Rekonvalescent, forbigaaet.

Utspas. [Utjenstdygtighedspas]  Sess 1884.

til højre: p.t. Kass Ø 622. 12/82

Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal