What is the significance of the tag Name "Monstrup"

Startet af Lynn Christiansen, 16 Sep 2019 - 01:30

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lynn Christiansen

My 6th great grandfather born about 1699 went by the name of Jens Pedersen Monstrup and the use of "Monstrup" continued for 3 generations and then stopped. In fact, my 5th great grandfather, Peder Jensen Monstrup born 1732 and his spouse Anne Andersdatter Bunde, had 7 children and all have the "Monstrup" tag except their last child Niels Christian Pedersen born 1784, who is just "Niels Christen Pedersen" in his Parish Register entries.

I have search for the significance of the tag name, location etc. but have had no luck in getting an understanding as to why the use and significance of it and then the subsequent disuse. I have located a street with the name of Monstrupvej.

Anyone have any knowledge or guesses?

Thank you.

RIN 22645
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Erik Kristensen

Hej

Monstrup er en Landsby
Trap Danmak V, bd. 16, 1135

mvh
Erik Kristensen

Bendix Steckmetz

Hi Lynn

As Erik Kristensen wrote - Monstrup is a name on a little village in northen Jutland. North east of the town Hobro.

I will send you some maps in a private mail.

Jens Pedersen is a very common name in Denmark. So to make a derivation from (slef made ex.) Jens Pedersen who lived in the wood, or Jens Pedersen who were blacksmith, your Jens Pedersen took the name, or friends and family gave him the name Monstrup, the village were he came from.

Hope it make sense?

All the best

Bendix

Lynn Christiansen

Thank you for the feedback.

It appears from Google Maps that "today" the location is a group of trees next to a farm house.

I am assuming in 1700 that there might have been a small village/town of Monstrup located there and that over time it was absorbed into a larger plot or estate.

My curiosity is to why "Monstrup", again I am assuming, that was the name of a grouping of farm homes located there.

Does "Monstrup" have a meaning? For example, I have relatives with the tag name of "Toppenberg" which I believe means "top of the hill"

Again thank you...

Erik Kristensen

Hej

I Aaret 1682 bestod Landsbyen Monstrup af fem mindre Gaarde.
De var lidt større end et Boel. Beliggende i Hindsted Herred,
Aalborghus Amt.
mvh

Erik Kristensen

Inge Nissen

Monstrup - 1476 it was called Mogenstrup - Mogens is a mans name.

Google Translate:

Torp (village)
A Torp is a village that is founded by the surplus population of another village leaving this and settled in a new place – often near the old one. This type of village is also known as relocating villages, and in Denmark they arose especially in the period 1000-1250.
Torp is therefore part of a very significant number of current Danish, Southern and Skåne settlements and is the name of a relocating settlement. The word has evolved into the forms -rup, -drup, -trup and -strup. In the forestage, personal names are often included, for example. Torkilstrup, Ebberup and Torup.
The names are often formed as a man's name in genitive followed by Torp. Examples of this type of cities are Tåstrup (Torstenstorp), Glostrup (Globs Torp), Mogens Trup (Mogens ' Torp) and Eskilstrup (Eskilstorp).
A capital village or mother city that is not created by relocation is called an Adelby.

Lynn Christiansen

Thank you for the enlightening information.

For us old American-Danes it is great to learn of our Grandparent's homeland and the way it was.

Again, thank you very much

Erik Kristensen

Hej

De fem Fæstegaarde i Monstrup hørte under Viffertsholm Gods.
Godsets Arkiv går tilbage til 1584.
Jordebøger 1633 - 1844
Skifter: 1776 - 1842

mvh
Erik Kristensen