Jens (M) Christensen Born about 1856 came to America 1892 and 1902.

Startet af schrist2, 22 Apr 2024 - 17:15

Forrige emne - Næste emne

schrist2

I'm seeking information about Jens (M) Christensen born about 1856 in Jutland Denmark. Don't know his parents names. He came to America twice once in 1892 possible with a first wife (Name unknown) then it is thought she was sick and so he went back to the old Country and retrieved a young girl named Amelia (Possibly a Christensen as well) and came to America again in 1902. The first wife died and so he married Amelia. She was 30 years his younger. They had their first Child in 1904 in Chicago Illinois. They named him Jens after his father. By 1910 they family moved to Roscommon Michigan and had two more children one which was my Grandfather Thorwald Noah Christensen. His second wife supposably came from an Orphanage and may have German ancestry. Tradition says she was left at the orphanage while her father would travel for work. Jens may have an aunt named Tanda Soper who lived for a time in Independence Missouri. Her name was mentioned in the Obituary of his first son named Jens in 1926. Last known location of Jens (M) Christensen was Minnesota about 1926. At that time he was very sick and couldn't attend his son's funeral. May have died there.
I do not know what port Jens came into America at, I don't know what ship he was on, I do not know what port he left from, I don't know his parents, I don't know the name of his first wife, I do not know for sure where his second wife came from. I cannot find this Tanda Soper that might be his Aunt.

My e-mail is scott.b.christensen@gmail.com if you have information or idea's on solving my many "I don't knows."

Susanne Riis

It is VERY difficult to help you, hence the name Jens Christensen is so common in Denmark. There is literally nothing to work on.
The aunt's name I am almost positive is  NOT a name, because aunt in Danish is "Tante", so I think that was what she was called. "Aunt Soper" - in Danish the word "Tante" would be pronounced Tanda  :)

Furthermore "Soper" is not a Danish first name, and would not have been used as a first name in DK. The closest I can get to a Danish name would be "Sofie", which was very common.

Kind regards,
Susanne Riis
mvh
Susanne Riis

forsker i slægterne Riis, Kagstrup, Kolding, Pedersen,Brøchner og Gjørup

Hans Chr. Baagøe

There is a family tree here:
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/KWZM-DVQ

There are copies of documents in both "sources" and in "memories" for some of the people mensioned.

Hans Chr. Baagøe