Kjaer family

Startet af John Kjar, 22 Jul 2011 - 04:19

Forrige emne - Næste emne

John Kjar

Hi all
I would like help in tracing Christian Nielsen Kjaer and his ancestors and descendents.
I Know that he was born in Vestervig on 17 January 1858, one of at least nine children born to Morten
Jensen Kjaer and Hansine Poulsen.  The names of his brothers/sisters and are

Rebekka Catincha Kjaer, born c1846, married Pedr Christian Christensen on 5 Nov
1880 (to be confirmed) Laura Andrea Maria Hansine born 22 Dec 1848, married
Andrea Ditlev Londal on 20 May 1870 in Den Danske Folkekirke, Vejstrup,
Svenborg Jensine Christiane Sophie Kjaer, born 11 May 1851 Pouline Jorgine
Kjaer, born c 1853 Hanne Dorthea born 29 Aug 1855, died 28 Oct 1868 Rasmine
Kirstine Amalia Kjaer, born 4 May 1861, married Christen Ingvard Christensen
in 1886 Jensen Kjaer born and died in 1863.

Morton Jensen Kjaer was born on 2 October 1820 in Rudkjobing and married
Hansine Poulsen in Rudkjobing on 24 Feb 1843.  Hansine was also born in
Rudkjobing on 26 Sep 1823.

Morten's parents were Jens Christian Kjaer born c 1785 and died on 5 Oct
1841 in Vederso, Ringkobing.  He married Rebekke Olsen, (born 1792 ) on 11
May 1817.  Jens' father was Christen Kjaer born in 1748.

Hansine Poulsen's parents were Jorgen Poulsen, born 1797 and he married
Karen Hansdatter (born 1795) on 15 Jan 1822 in Bostrup Svendborg.

Ralph Rasmussen

You have a bit of a story already told.  It isn't clear how much you have of chapter and verse.

Here are a few references you may have, but which could help us join the search.

Morten's birth and baptism in Rudkøbing parish register 1813-1823, opslag 21 of the posted images, #2 for 1820.  In the same parish register 'widower and seaman' Jens Christesen Kjær marries Rebekka Olsen, opslag 99, #3 for 1817.

It seems a little odd in the decade of the marriage for Rebekka to have her father's surname, but is this her in 1801? 

svendborg, Langelands Nørre, Rudkøbing Købstad, Rudkøbing Købstad, Broegade 17, Litr. A, 17, FT-1801, C0098
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Morten Olsen 37  Gift Huusbond Skræder 
Anne Marie 36  Gift Hans kone   
Rebecca 10  Ugift Hans datter af 1ste ægteskab   
Regina 5  - Børn af sidste ægteskab   
Ole Peter 3  - Børn af sidste ægteskab   
Morten 1  - Børn af sidste ægteskab

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

John Kjar

Hi Ralph

Most appreciated

I am amazed at the speed of your response and the access you must have to the Danish records.  I am still trying to understand how to do these searches and so far have only been able to access the microfische census records in the Danish Archives (online) and Familysearch.org.  I would be very grateful for advice on additional sources (especially if they are English-friendly!)

I think your information on Rebecca and her family, as well as Jens Christian is probably correct - it all seems to be consistent with my information.  So thanks very much.  Regards  John

Homer Ficken

Hi John.   Needing to pass some time this morning, I looked up the family in the transcribed censuses at: http://ddd.dda.dk/

Thisted, Refs, Vestervig, , , , 11. Huus, FT-1860
Morten Jensen Kjær 40 aar  Gift Toldassistent, Huusfader Inderste  Rudkjöbing
Hansine Poulsen 36 aar  Gift hans Kone  Do [Rudkjöbing]
Rebekka Cathrine Kjær 13 aar  Ugift deres Barn  Do [Rudkjöbing]
Laura Marie Kjær 11 aar  Ugift deres Barn  Rörvig Holbæk A:
Christiane Sophie Kjær 10 aar  Ugift deres Barn  Do [Rörvig Holbæk A:]
Pouline Jörgine Kjær 7 aar  Ugift deres Barn  Agger S:
Hanne Dorthea Kjær 5 aar  Ugift deres Barn  her i Sognet
Christian Nielsen Kjær 3 aar  Ugift deres Barn  Do [her i Sognet]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thisted, Refs, Vestervig, Krik, , Et huus, 119, FT-1870
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Morten Kjær 49  Gift Huusfader Toldassistent Rudkjøbing
Hansine Kjær 76  Gift Huusmoder  Rudkjøbing  [Hansine should be 46!]
Pouline Jørgine Kjær 16  Gift Deres barn  Agger Sogn, Thisted Amt
Christian Nielsen Kjær 12  Gift Deres barn  Vestervig S., Thisted A.
Rasmine Kirst. Amalie Kjær 8  Gift Deres barn  Vestervig S., Thisted A.
Jens Christensen Kjær 3  Gift Deres barn  Vestervig S., Thisted A.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then I looked up Christian and his siblings in AO: http://www.sa.dk/ao/  
The stillborn(?) son born 1863 was not christened, but another son you don't list was born 1866:

Rebecca Cathinca born 24 Oct 1846 (Rudkjøbing, Svendborg 1841-49, opslag 62 #27)
Laura Andreas Marie Hansine born 22 Dec 1848 (Rørvig, Holbæk 1813-1854, opslag 57 first)
Jensine Christiane Sophia born 29 Jan 1851 (Rørvig, Holbæk 1813-1854, opslag 163 first) [11 May=bapt]
Pouline Jørgine born 12 Jul 1853 (Agger, Thisted 1845-1869, opslag 54 #6)
Hanne Dorthea born 29 Aug 1855 (Vestervig, Thisted 1846-1860, opslag 94 #12)
Rasmine Kirstine Amalia born 4 May 1861 (Vestervig, Thisted 1860-1869, opslag 51 #7)
Unnamed male, born and died 8 Sep 1863 (Vestervig, Thisted 1860-1869, opslag 18 #16)
Jens Christensen born 8 Sep 1866 (Vestervig, Thisted 1860-1869, opslag 31 #20)

Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Flemming Kristensen

Hej John

Rebecca Olsen b 28 jan 1792

Father Morten Olsen b 25 jan 1765 d 24 jul 1818 m 19 sep 1788
Johanne Kirstine Jacobsdatter b omk. 1764 24 sep 1793

Children:
Johan Thomas Flint Olsen b 13 jul 1789
Jacob Olsen b 04 jan 1791 d 17 feb 1791
Jacob Olsen b 24 sep 1793 d 04 dec 1793

Morten Olsen parrens

Ole Knudsen b 22 nov 1739 d 10 jun 1822 m 03 aug 1764
Rebekke Rudolphsdatter b 12 aug 1735

Children:
Knud Christian Olsen b 25 jan 1765
Knud Christian Olsen b 21 nov 1766
Margrethe Olsdatter b 23 dec 1770
Anne Magrethe Olsdatter b 16 maj 1773
Grethe Olsdatter b omk. 1773
Rudolph Olsen b 01 jan 1776

All from Rudkøbing

Morten Olsen 2. whife m 28 feb 1794
Anne Marie Pedersdatter b 29 nov 1765 d 29 mar 1827
Children:
Ole Peter Olsen b 09 dec 1798 d 21 dec 1848
Regina Kirstine Olsen b 04 maj 1796 d 21 maj 1870 Plain City, Weber, USA
Morten Olsen b 07 dec 1800 d 1802
Erik Christian Olsen b 18 jan 1803
Johanne Kirstine Olsen b 11 jan 1795 d feb 1795

I have sent you a private E-mail all from my family

Flemming Kristensen
Forsker i: Børglum herred, Langeland, Ærø, Åbenrå (Ensted) og Århus, samt lidt derimellem og omkring

Lynn Christiansen

Is Kjær a common name?

I have several individuals in my lineage with the surname Kiær.

They are from the Tved, Hillerslev, Thisted area. My lineage began using "Kiær" with Niels Nielsen Kiær who was the son of Niels Ørgaards and Ingeborg Nielsdatter. Niels Nielsen's first wife was Anna Sørensdatter who according to their marriage entry was the STEPDAUGHTER of Peder Kiær. It appears that the Kiær family was a prominent family in this area. As one reviews the Parish Register for this location there are a lot of Kiær family names, which individuals held onto, rather than strictly follow the patronomic process.

My speculation is that it must have been worth "something" to have the tag of "Kiær". For this reason I believe Niels Nielsen added the "Kiær" tag to his Surname. Or, perhaps Peder Kiær, the Stepfather of Anna Sørensdatter, may have wanted to pamper her and so he permitted them to add the name to theirs. Interesting speculation.

Is this family wide spread in Denmark?
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

John Kjar

Hi to everyone who have been so helpful so far - its most appreciated and in just a few days I have learnt a lot from your responses and leads.  As I live in Australia, having access to such experts is of enormous help.

Homer, you don't know just how much help you have been - I now understand that there is digitised data that is searchable via computer - to date I thought I had to search the microfilm/fische copies of the original parish registers/census returns.  I have yet to understand how to do such searches (based on my translations from the DDD I think I may need a DVD etc)  but am now looking into it - any advice on this matter would be most appreciated.

Flemming, your information has really excited my interest in this subject.  Especially if I/you can show we are related from about 150 years ago!

And Lynn, as I find more records I am starting to think there are (and were) many Kjaer/Kjar's in Denmark and yes, they are special people.  My Kjaer/Kjar family came from Rudkobing and Vestivig (Thisted County) so we could also be related.  Just need to do more research!

Thanks to everyone, and I look forward to any more information/advice.

John Kjar

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: John Kjar Dato 24 Jul 2011 - 09:44
Homer, you don't know just how much help you have been - I now understand that there is digitised data that is searchable via computer - to date I thought I had to search the microfilm/fische copies of the original parish registers/census returns.  I have yet to understand how to do such searches (based on my translations from the DDD I think I may need a DVD etc)  but am now looking into it - any advice on this matter would be most appreciated.

John Kjar

Did you overlook the English option on DDD?  To go directly to the English version use the extended URL:  http://ddd.dda.dk/ddd_en.htm

And here is the English tutorial for AO (Archives Online):
http://www.utilis.dk/ressourcer/ao_english_instructions.pdf

(Scroll down to English Option; Registration and password are no longer required)

Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-