Where was Christen Nissen of Sønder Sejerslev born?

Startet af Jane C, 25 Aug 2011 - 03:50

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jane C

Dear forum  - Writing to ask your help in filling in the blanks re. the parents to Andreas Christen Christensen/Christiansen. Our family history says Andreas Christen Christensen was born 26 August 1824 in Sønder Sejerslev and died 04 September 1907 in Abild. This must mean Sønder Sejerslev, Emmerlev, Tønder Højer og Lø, Tønder, right?

Our family history gives his father as Christen Nissen. One (not too reliable) source says Christen Nissen died 23 April 1832 in Sdr. Sejerslev. Is that right? I don't know parents, birth day, or birth place for Christen Nissen.

Family Search Labs names the mother of Andreas Christen Christensen as Karren Andreasdatter born about 1787 in Nyland and died 22 March 1867 in Sdr. Sejerslev. I don't know her parents but I did find an 1801 census (below) that might be her.

I can't find these folks at ddd.dda.dk! I have only the following:

1855 Tønder, Tønder, Højer og Lø, Abild, Abild By, 3, en gaard, 5, FT-1855, C9604
Andreas Christen Christensen 31 Gift Husfader born in Emmerlef
Vilhelmine, født Mathiassen 30 Gift Hans kone Slesvig, Her i Sognet [Yes, this is his wife per our family tree]
Christian Nissen Christiansen 4 Ugift Deres børn Slesvig, Her i Sognet
Cathrine Christiansen 2 Ugift Deres børn Slesvig, Her i Sognet
Caroline Christiansen 1 Ugift Deres børn Abild Sogn, Tønder Amt
Kommentarer: Tilføjelsen til St. i hust. utydelig

20 October 1821 Andreas's parents marry in Emmerlev??

Below is a Christian Nissen in 1803, but is he the right one?

1803 toender, Tønder, Højer og Lø, Emmerlev (Slesvigsk), Kiærgaard, , 5te Familie, FT-1803, C1355
Nis Pedersen 46 Enkemand Mand Indsidder, Snedker [thus born about 1757]
Ellen Nisdatter 14 Ugift Hans Børn [thus born about 1789]
Christian Nissen 10 Ugift Hans Børn [so born about 1793; would be 28 in 1821]

Maybe I have found Karen Andreasdatter in this 1801 census??

Tønder, Tønder, Højer og Lø, Emmerlev (Kongerigsk), Nyelands Huußene, , 12de Familie, FT-1801, C0316
Andreas Jensen Holænder 60 Gift Mand Jordløs Huus (landless) Matros (navy seaman)
Zille Sørensdatter 56 Gift Hans Kone
Karen Andreasdatter 14 Ugift Deres Datter

Thank you in advance!

Irene Christoffersen

Hi Jane

First of your questions:
Yes there is a Christian Nissen dead 23rd April 1832 in Emmerlev Parish,
(Tønder, Højer, Emmerlev 1826-1834, image 141) Age at death 61 years
living in Sønder Sejerslev.

I cannot quite read all the text; perhaps som kind person might help you with this.
Mvh
Irene Christoffersen
Hillerød

Rebecca Hansen

I'll see what else I might be able to find for you and be back later.
Regards
Rebecca

Rebecca Hansen

Here you have Andreas Christian Christensen born 26th August 1824 the son of Christian Nissen of Sdr. Sejerselv & his wife, Karen
AO 1814-1826 Emmerlev, Højer, Tønder – fødte mandkøn – opslag 22
#24 – 26 August
Andreas Christian Christensen
Hjemme...26 August i kirken 9 Octobr.
Christian  Nissen?
husmand?tjende  i S.. Sierslov, hustr. Karen
Marie..........Kirstine Peders..............Eriksen, Christen Pedersen / 193

I find also Maren,  born 19th October, 1826  the daughter of Christian Nissen & wife Karen in S. Sierslev
AO 1814-1826 Emmerlev, Højer, Tønder – fødte kvindekiøn -opslag 54
Nr. 21 –
1826 d. 19 Octobr.
Maren
Hjemmedøbt?
D 19 Octobr.
...  i kirken
Christian Nissen, Hustru Karen ..i S. Sierslef...bøl
??

I find Karen Christiansen together with Maren & Andreas in 1834, showing her as a widow, living in the pourhouse, working as one who makes lace.
Tønder, Tønder, Højer og Lø, Emmerlev (Kongerigsk), Nyeland, Fattiganstalten, 36, FT-1834, C7540
Karen Christiansen 48 Enke Knipler (f. ca. 1786)
Maren Christiansdatter 8 ugift ikke andført i listen
Anderas Christian Nissen 10 ugift ikke anført i listen

I also find the marriage for Christian Nissen to Karen the 20th October 1821
AO 1814-1826 Emmerlev, Højer, Tønder- copulerede -  opslag 85
1821 #14
(his occupation) Christian Nissen...........
Pigen Karen (possibly Andersdt) 40 Aaar.......
Gaardmand ..............; ...........Nissen.........
20 October / / 187

Hope this has been of some help
Perhaps I can add more later
Regards
Rebecca

Rebecca Hansen

Here are the confirmation records for Andreas & Maren:
AO 1835 – 1844 Emmerlev, Højer, Tønder opslag 84
confirmerede drenge 1838 (confirmed boys in 1838)
No. 4 - Andreas Christian Christensen ....Tønder
Christian Nissen ....hustru Karen Christensen . Sønder Sierslev (Christian Nissen and his wife Karen Christensen of Sønder Sejerslev)
26 aug 1824...........(born on the 26th of aug. 1824)
.....god.....
1828 12 Juni af ... (vaccinated on 12th of June 1828 by .........)

AO 1835 – 1844 Emmerlev, Højer, Tønder opslag 118
confirmerede piger 1842 (confirmed girls in 1842)
Maren Nissen xxx, Sønder Sierslef
Christian Nissen , hustru Karen Andersdatter Sønder Sierslef (Christian Nissen, wife Karen Andersdatter of Sønder Sejerslev
1826 – 19 Octbr. (born 1826 on the 19th of October)
1833 24 jan (vaccinated on 24th of Jan. 1833 by .......)
542 no. 35 (also found in the records on pg. 542 no. 35)

I believe Karen Christensen & Karen Andersdatter are one in the same person
Karen being called Christensen after her husband & Andersdatter after her father.
I have not found the record for her baptism.
Til later
Rebecca

Rebecca Hansen

The death listed for March 22nd 1867 I read as follows:

AO 1859-1873 Emmelev, Højer, Tønder opslag 287
Døde kvindekøn #7 (deceased females #7)
22 marts – 27 marts (deceased March 22nd & buried March 27th)
Karen Kirstine f. Jensen (Kare Kirstine born Jensen)
Enke after..................., Fattiglem i Sønde S......
Født i Nyland i 1787, Datter af Anders Jensen. Efterlader 1 søn og 2 børnbøre, vide p 128, 1865 i (the widow of - sorry I can't read his name - a pauper in Sønder s........, born i Nyland in 1787, the daughter of Anders Jensen. Who leaves behind 1 son and 2 grandchildren . page 128, 1865)
/ 80 / ...18,37  (this is a reference to where this person is found in the church records)
Dødsårsag ? (death caused by - I can't read this either)
Anmærkning - Schakkenborg (comments - it seems to mean place of residence at time of death)
I will sign off, wishing you the best of luck in your search
Regards
Rebecca

Jane C

Thank you soooooo much Rebecca and Irene!  :)

First, you have confirmed and proven the sketchy notes I have - very important that now I can trust this informaton.

Also very exciting are the new facts you have found!

I had found the 1834 census for Karen Christiansen, Maren Christiansdatter, and Andreas Christian Nissen - and wondered whether that could be the right family. But since he is called Nissen, while they are called by the Christiansen surname, I certainly wasn't so sure. Rebecca, you finding the birth for Maren makes that 1834 census fit much better. Also, you finding the death record for Karen also makes it fit - because it says she leaves behind one son - and from that we know she did not have many children (one guesses Maren has died). Even better - you state that you believe this is the same family! Thank you so much for weighing in with your experience - and now I will accept this census does show my ancestor Andreas Christian (Nissen) Christiansen. Big smile!!

Karen's death as daughter to Anders Jensen is another exciting find! Can you think this is Andreas Jensen Holænder of the 1801 census? with his wife Zille Sørensdatter?

If so, then I'm curious about that name Holænder. GranTrans translates it as someone from Holland....

Jane C

Now I'm also wondering about the children of Andreas Christian Christiansen and Vilhelmine Matthiessen. They married 27 Apr 1851 in Abild.

The death record Rebecca found for Karen (mother to Andreas) says she leaves behind one son and two grandchildren - so that is Andreas and....

One grandchild must be Hans Christian Matthiessen Christiansen, born to Andreas and Vilhelmine on 28 January 1858 in Abild By, Abild, Tønder Højer og Lø, Tønder. I do not know when Hans Christian died, but it was after 1931, because in that year he celebrated 50 years anniversary with wife Mette Cathrine Toft. I would love to know more about him, as that is my great-grandfather!

The other grandchild must be Christian Nissen Christiansen? 1851-1919? But I also think a Peter Nielsen Christiansen was a sibling who lived - that could be wrong.

Other children born to Andreas and Vilhelmine - Catharine, Caroline, Vilhelmine and Vilhelm - all died?

Niels Bjøreng

A Hollænder may be a dairist

Venlig hilsen
Niels Bjøreng   9400

Jane C

Tønder, Tønder, Højer og Lø, Emmerlev, Nyland by, 35, Fattiganstalten, 51, FT-1855, C9609
many people.....
Karen Christiansenke 68 Enke Almisselm born in Slesvig
Maren Nissen 29 Ugift Almisselm born in Slesvig

Is this Karen (daughter of Anders Jensen married to Christian Nissen) and daughter Maren in 1855?

If so, why are they not living with Karen's son Andreas Christian Christiansen?! instead of in the poor house?

Jane C

Still hoping some very very very kind person will be able to find the birth place and parents of Christen Nissen, who died 23 April 1832 in Sdr. Sejerslev.

All this help was much appreciated, Irene, Rebecca, and Niels!

Ronald Nielson

There is a Chisten born on opslag 427 but his father seems to be Michel Christensen, so I dont think that is right.  He seems to be the only Christen bornin the year period though.  I will do a bit more looking, but I can't find them in the census either.
Ronald Nielson
American, Danish and German ancestor

Jane C

Hi Ronald - thanks for dropping in! And thanks so very much for looking in the churchbook. Whatever the results, your effort is much appreciated. Maybe you are like me, in wanting to help someone else too when we have asked for help ourselves.

I agree with you about Michael. The mystery continues! : D

But at least from helpers in this forum I did get a firm grip on Christen Nissen's wife, and now have found her in every census in which she was a widow.

Mvh,

JC

Karsten Damén

I know the former post in this thread is nearly 3 years old, but maybe Jane C will read this anyway.

Christian Nissen married Karen Andreasdatter on 20. Oct. 1821 in Emmerlev as stated in post #3.  He is listed as a widower (enkemand), 52 years old.

Looking for the first wife of Chr. Nissen, this family would fit:
1803 census:
Tønder, Tønder, Højer og Lø, Emmerlev (Slesvigsk), Sønder Seyersleff, , 21de Familie, FT-1803, C1355
Navn:    Alder:    Civilstand:    Stilling i husstanden:    Erhverv:    
Christian Nissen   35   Gift   Mand   Jordløs Huus Tienestekarl   
Christine Pedersdatter   34   Gift   Hans Kone      
Nis Christiansen   7   Ugift   Deres Børn      
Niels Christiansen   4   Ugift   Deres Børn      
Søren Christiansen   1   Ugift   Deres Børn      
Peder Nielsen   70   Gift   Konens Fader   nyder Almisse   
Abelone Pedersdatter   70   Gift   Hans Kone   nyder Almisse   

I find a Christian Nissen christened 25. Sep. 1768 in Emmerlev together with his twin brother Willantz;  the father was Niss Willantzen (Emmerlev, 1726-1815, picture 414).
This birth fits with the age in the 1803 census and the marriage record.

regards
Karsten