Swedes that have emigrated to Denmark

Startet af Gary Fraser, 02 Jul 2013 - 14:09

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Gary Fraser

Hey!

I was wondering what there are for sources to track Swedes that emigrate South of the border? In Swedish parish books it's often given just as "Danmark", which given that Denmark isn't exactly small, makes it hard to follow them around. I've had a Little go at the Danish Family Search, although on the 6-7 people I've tried so far, without success, either with the Swedish or Danish ways of Spelling the name.

An example is one that I'm trying to follow - Sven Christiansson. Born 6 Dec 1839, in Slöinge, Halland, Sweden. Relocated to Köpenhamn in October 1861 (date given is the 4th of October 1861).

Any tips on how to trace what happened to Sven? From what I understand is that a fair few Swedes who emigrated to Denmark later emigrated to America, however I'm not sure that this is the case in just this instance.

Many thanks!

Gary

Eva Morfiadakis

Hello,

It's true that it is often just stated in the Swedish churchbooks that a person emigrated to Denmark just as it is just stated North America. Sometimes however you can see Copenhagen or perhaps Helsingör.

You will have to try and find Sven who has probably become Svend Christiansen in Denmark in the Danish censuses. In Denmark there is another problem. It is often just stated born in Sweden. You will have to find the marriage of the person. There you may find the place of birth and date of birth.

You find the censuses on ddd.dda.dk
and churchbooks on rkivalieronline.dk

Eva M
Eva M

Lissa Pedersen

Perhaps this link will be useful: http://www.sa.dk/content/us/genealogy.

The censuses are on www.ddd.dda.dk.

For finding place names this site is very good: www.krabsen.dk.

Lissa

Eva Morfiadakis

My second site should be: www.arkivalieronline.dk.

There is also www.politietsregisterblade.dk where you can find people in Copenhagen between 1892 and 1923.

I looked for Sven in Copenhagen. I found this one:

Dansk Demografisk Database

Samtlige personer i husstanden

København, København (Staden), Nørrebrogade (lige numre), Kjøbenhavn Udenbys Klædebo Kvarter, Nørrebrogade 162,matr.171L1 Baghus 1.Sal, 10, FT-1885, D2462
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Svend Christiansen 44  Gift Mand Bagersvend Sverrig
Helene Christiansen 45  Gift Hustru  Sverrig
Carl Oskar Christiansen 8  Ugift   Kjøbenhavn
Chjarlotte Christiansen 5  Ugift   Kjøbenhavn

I know the year of birth doesn't match but sometimes there are errors in the census. Then I couldn't find the family in politietsregisterblade. This Svend is a baker. His wife is named Helene which is Helena in Swedish. Swedish female names end with an a whereas the Danish end with an e.

Eva M
Eva M

Kirsten Tatt

Could it be this Sven Christensson:

Efternavn:  Christensson Fornavn:  Sven
Fødselsdatering:  00.00.1839
Ankomst:  00.00.1862
Oplyst næringsvej:  Tjenestekarl Ank. fra (land):  Sverige
Ank. fra (lokal):  Homldgård
Fødeland:  Sverige
Tj./Oph.sted (region):  Frederiksborg Amt Tj./oph.sted (sogn):  Hellebæk
Tj./oph.sted (art):  Gård
Tj./op.sted(virks.):  Nords Dougård Kildenavn:  Hellebæk Sogn - Kirkebog 1852-1872

http://www.ddd.dda.dk/immibas/immibas1_soeg.asp

venlig hilsen Kirsten

Gary Fraser

Hey!

Thanks everyone for the information. Kirsten, it seems the dates match, given Sven emigrated late 1861,  and it often happens that even through they're "utskriven" from the parish a certain date, sometimes it can take them a Little time to get away ;) "Holmdgård" can be "Halland" with a bit of imagination, although it is stretching it a bit! A trip of ca 300km also would take a bit of time. I'll go through the databases this evening and see if I can trace him through the parish books.

Have to admit, it would be nice if Sweden gave free access to their churchbooks (outside of libraries and the state archives). Things would go so much easier and cheaper!

Thanks again!

Inger Toudal

Sven Christenson's arrival to Hellebæk parish can be found at http://www.sa.dk/content/dk/ao-forside/find_kirkeboger

Frederiksborg, Lynge-Kronborg, Hellebæk 1849-1875, opslag (image) 187, the last entry in 1862.

The arrival is recorded 13 Sept. 1862. His age is 22 3/4 years, he's going to work as a farmhand at Nordskougaard and is arrring from Ho??dgaard in Sweden.

Guide for using digitized Danish records: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Digitized_Danish_Records_Online_-_Arkivalieronline

Best regards,
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Eva Morfiadakis

It could be Holmagärde which is a farm not far from Varberg. I think it is Träslöv parish.
Gary, by the way most people emigrating to Denmark from Halland usually didn't travel by road but by ship. There are many ports in Halland, Varberg being one of them.

Sven left from No. 1 Berthe Qvarn (Mill) page 36 AI:5.

Eva M
Eva M

David Peterson

Gary:

Some observations....

1) "Going to Copenhagen" is what the Swedish record-keeper knew at the time of writing, but anything could have happened after that to change Sven's plans and actual destination.  So Copenhagen may be a starting point for a search, but it is not necessarily a "mis-match" if he is found somewhere else.

2) The entry in the immigrant database is a pretty good clue to follow up, since it matches on name, birth year and generally-expected arrival date.  The origin may also be a match (see next item).

3) I don't know that we should be comparing "Holmgård" with "Halland".  The latter is an entire province/county, while the initial expectation for the former is that it is "someplace rather smaller" (not necessarily true, but you could start with that assumption).  I would start looking for some place with that name inside Halland.....  and I do see that there is a Holm parish (incidently, not far south from Slöinge parish) and there is a place within Holm parish called "Holmsgård".  It is probably worth a follow-up.

4) If you were to draw a straight line from the midpoint of Halland to the nearest point in Denmark, it would hit pretty darn near Hellebæk!  That doesn't necessarily prove anything, but as said in item #1, it is not at all unreasonable that he might end up in Frederiksborg amt instead of København, at least initially.

5) The censuses of Denmark are only partially indexed.  The 1870 census index of both Frederiksborg and København amt is pretty limited.  1880, on the other hand, has very good coverage.  However, by that time, he easily  could have moved elsewhere.

6) Of course, 1880 is worth a try:  In the DDD indexes, I searched groups of amter around the entire country for someone name "Sven% Chris" with a birthplace containing "sv" (for "Sverige") in his 40's and did not find anything.  Perhaps those search criteria are making too many assumptions, and others should be tried...

7) Perhaps Inger's lead could be followed and you could look for him leaving Hellebæk parish.  Unfortunately, that could be somewhat open-ended, and from what I see of the Afgangsliste, there are a lot of portions that aren't very legible.  As a single, itinerant worker, without local family, he doesn't have much to tie him down and thus he could end up going anywhere.  The 1870 census in Hellebæk could be searched manually, but that is assuming he is still there at that point.  (In 1870, I believe it is still part of Tikøb parish, and there are 415 pages!)

David Peterson

Eva Morfiadakis

Holmagärde which I suggested is Varberg parish.

If Sven Christensen is identical with Sven Christiansson I can't tell. His name in Swedish was Christiansson. I looked him up. His father was named Christian.

It took him almost a year to leave Slöinge and appear in Hellebaek. He had a document saying he was moving to Copenhagen/Denmark. He may have decided to stay in another parish saying that he had changed his mind and then after some time he decided to leave after all. He would then get a new moving-out document. People didn't always go to the place they were intending - some of them were kind of rolling stones. These are the tricky ones to find.

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

I looked in Holms parish.

There is a farm called Holms gård starting on page 14 in AI:6. I couldn't find Sven there.

There is also a Holmagärde in Holms parish.

Eva M
Eva M

David Peterson

Gary:

I also meant to note:
I have not done nearly as much research (yet) in Sweden as in Denmark, so maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean by "free Swedish churchbooks".

I have found what I need (Husförhörslängder, dopböcker, vigselböcker, etc.) at Family Search:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927041

Those are just images. Perhaps you are referring to something that is indexed?

David Peterson

Janice Simpson

Hi Gary and David,

It is not free, however, Ancestry has a very good database of Swedish Church records:  Sweden, Church Records, 1500-1941.  It is not indexed by name; you do need to know the county and parish of the person you are seeking.  I use the "browse" side of the search page to select county, parish, record type and year range.

I've been working on a Swedish family history for a friend that includes building a tree in Ancestry and find it very easy to attach the images of the births, marriages and deaths to individuals in the tree.

Janice

Michelle Bie

This is the link to the Swedish Church Records http://www.arkivdigital.net/land/an2011eng1

I think they have a short window of time every year when you can access the records for free. Also, a trial version of Ancestry World will allow you access to copies of these records. I think the free records access was in August or September last year, I did an intense amount of research and found several generations of my Swedish ancestors during the free access. The only problem is it is all in Swedish but I found help on this forum when I wasn't able to figure something out. The Swedes kept amazing records.

I hope this helps anyone trying to find their Swedish roots
Michelle