Kobenhavns Politi Hovedjournal translation help.

Startet af Jean-Claude Clausen Lagrange, 14 Aug 2013 - 02:44

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jean-Claude Clausen Lagrange

Hi,

I am asking for help in my research on a Peter Clausen and I need to prove whether his is actually related to my family. I have not found document proof just circumstantial items. In Peter Clausen's biographies by Warming and Reinhardt They mention that he left Denmark for Brazil a a result of a fraud. In my visit to Copenhagen last year I searched the Hovedjournal from 1815 to 1825 and I found the following series of entries. This is important since the timeline when he arrived in Brazil is suspected to be circa 1825.
I was told by the archivist that there were 4 courts that investigated crimes were referred to if there was sufficient cause to prosecute. The incidents should have an investigation related to each entry in other archives.
See attachments starting with this message.
Thank for any help in translating or investigating further.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Item #2 from Hovedjournal

Item #3 from Hovedjournal

Item #4 from Hovedjournal

Item #5 from Hovedjournal

Thanks for your help.

Søren Juul Mikkelsen

Hi Jean-Claude,

I will give it a try.
In all cases the second column is the involved parts and the third column tells what the case is about.

#1:
P?? (Proces maybe) for Vandmester (water-master: responsible for water supply) Falch contra Peter Nicolay. Column 3: ang. et bortk. pibehoved = regarding a lost pipe head (I am not sure if this is the correct english term, but I read it as meaning the head of a tobacco pipe)

#2:
Pxx contra Peter Nicolay Clausen and Frederik Lassen
Column 3: klammeri = brawl / clash / fight

#3:
A. K. Burregaard's Enke (Widow) contra Peter Nicolay Clausen
Column 3: mellemværende = outstanding (I assume he owes her some money)

#4:
Pxx for Portner (Doorman) Joh. Peter Reuth contra ??? (not sure what his title is, maybe it says Arrest.) Peter Nicolay Clausen
Column 3: Mistænkt = suspected (It doesn't say for what)

#5:
Pxx contra Peter Nicolay
Column 3: Mistænkt

I don't know what the last column is about.
Anyway, you need to have the actual records for the last two cases to know what he was actually accused for.

Best regards
Søren

6Hi Soren,
Just so you know when I was in the State Archives in Copenhagen I was told that when a case had a number in the column it meant that it was referred to one of the 4-5 courts because the case had enough evidence. Each court dealt with different types of crimes. I noticed that there are two early crime that went to court 4 and the before last item in 1823 was to court 2. The last item is the most cryptic (no complainant) but if it is the Peter Clausen to be found in Brazil he would probably be gone in 1825. Most biographies copied each other and mentioned a fraud but I remember one article that referred to it differently, he was sought be the authorities. It is only speculation but could it be that the last entry of the Hovedjournal refers to the fact that the court/police was seeking him and therefore no complainant is listed.

Regards,