Pedersen/Petersen

Startet af Barbara Pedersen, 01 Mar 2014 - 02:52

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Barbara Pedersen

Looking for family of.
Peter Petersen. born aug.14, 1888 Aarhus, Denmark
(he moved to Rhode Island usa in 1905, when he was 16 years old. The 1905 cencus said he lived with a "Carl Pedersen, Uncle" 

Father: Soren Pedersen. born june 8, 1864 -feb 19,1910
Mother: Ane Mikkelsen. born april 27,1862 - june 13, 1900
Children: Neil Pedersen, Viggo Pedersen, Aage Pedersen, Ane Pedersen and a step brother named Gunnar

Soren Pedersen's  father: Peder Pedersen
                                  mother: Bodil Jacobsdatter
Viby parish, Aarhus

Ane Mikkelsen's     father: Niels Mikkelsen
                                   mother: Mette Marie Rasmussen
Hylke parish, Skanderborg, Aarhus

My goal is to find aunts and uncles, sisters and brothers, grandmothers and grandfathers and all the cousins of this family.

My mother, when she was living, spoke of family that may still be living in Denmark.
Names I remember hearing: Gunnar, Lilly, Bente, Jannie, Pia.  but those names dated back to late 1970's and early 1980's   

It would be so wonderful to find out this beautiful Danish family was still growing strong.
If Pete Petersen was alive today he would be the father of 2, the grandfather of 18, the great grandfather of 57 and the rest keep on growing.

Bent Fuglsbjerg

I found in the 1860 census:

Samtlige personer i husstanden
Aarhus, Ning, Viby, Viby By, et Huus, 42, FT-1860, C1782

Name:                   Age:     Status, Position in household, occupation:  Birth parish:
Peder Pedersen                33    gift   Inderste, Dagleier, Husfader       heri Sognet
Bodil Jacobsdatter        26    gift   Hans Kone                                       Koldt Sogn, Aarhus Amt
Jacob Pedersen                  5    ugift   [deres søn]                               heri Sognet
Anne Mette Pedersen          3    ugift   [deres datter]                               heri Sognet
Søren Peder Pedersen          1    ugift   [deres søn]                               heri Sognet
Maren Pedersen                45    Enke   Inderste, lever af Haandgjerning       Gylling Sogn, Aarhus Amt

Do you need translation?
Mvh
Bent H.S.D. Fuglsbjerg
www.fuglsbjerg.com

Bent Fuglsbjerg

Acording to the church-records of Viby parish, Ning, Århus County 1900-1912 page248
The death of Søren Pedersen was February 19, 1910 where he died at the county hospital, "Århus Amtssygehus". He was burried February 24 at Viby parish cemetary. It states that he worked as a railroad foreman in Kongsvang and was born June 8 1864 in Viby as son of Peder Pedersen and Bodil KIRSTINE Jacobsdatter. And that he was married to ANE MARIE KNUDSEN in Kongsvang, Viby where they lived till they died.
Mvh
Bent H.S.D. Fuglsbjerg
www.fuglsbjerg.com

Barbara Pedersen

Thank you so much for this information. So many wonderful things come together in doing this research. I can now read and write in Danish and My beautiful family grows larger. I feel as though I can go back in time as if I am a spirit watching them and learning their daily life.

Barbara Pedersen

Maren Pedersen who is a widow and living in the house as a care giver, could this be Peder's sister? even though her birth location is different from his? 
I found an old picture of a group of men with shoves standing next to a railroad track, the picture now makes sence. most of the pictures i found were on a slate of thick metal. 

Lis Helleberg

Hi Barbara,

You might be able to get some relevant information by contacting the local archive in Viby. They might also be very interested to learn about the pictures that you have.

In Viby a railway connection was opened in 1868 and a local railway (Odderbanen) in 1884 so he may very well have been working on the local railway.

http://www.lokalhistorieiaarhus.dk/viby/index.htm

Best regards
Lis
Area of interest: Thy, especially Vang, Thisted, Hillerslev, Hundborg

Bent Fuglsbjerg

Maren and Peder might well be siblings as they are 12 years apart and it was common that a widdow sibling or parrent would be "living in" at that time in Denmark.

If you look in the Viby parish book of marriages and births 1854-72 for Århus county, Ning Herred, Viby parish scan 220 (page232 listing12) you can see that on 1855
bachelor Peder Pedersen of Viby 29 1/4 years of age, son of Stine Johansdatter of Joxxxxxxx (can't read)
was married to
the girl (unmarried) Bodil Kirstine Jacobsen of Viby 22 years of age, daughter of xxxx (can't read) Jacob Jepsen of Stautrup.

Unfortunately the scan is not right so you can't read the right side of the page where the actual weddingdate and info about other familymembers are found. But it's worth noticing that it only mention the mother of Peder wich is uncommon in these listings.
Mvh
Bent H.S.D. Fuglsbjerg
www.fuglsbjerg.com

Bent Fuglsbjerg

Peder Pedersen was born on April 18 1826 acording to the parish book:

1814-1835 Viby parish, Ning shire, Århus county listing16 person10
Born out of wed, April 18, Peder Pedersen
The text is almost impossible to read but I can gather the mothers name as Ane Kirstine Johansdatter of Viby. The father was named by the court but I can't read the name.
Mvh
Bent H.S.D. Fuglsbjerg
www.fuglsbjerg.com

Bent Fuglsbjerg

Bodil Kirstine Jacobsdatter was born on July 23 1833 in Stautrup acording to parish book:

1814-38 Kolt parish, Ning shire, Århus county, scan98 page100 person8
Born July 23, Bodil Kirstine Jacobsdatter
Parrents: farmer Jacob Jepsen and mother Mette Sørensdatter of Stautrup
Bapticed in Kolt church August 11 1833
Mvh
Bent H.S.D. Fuglsbjerg
www.fuglsbjerg.com

Barbara Pedersen

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have learned more today, then I have in 10 years of reading threw old letters and pictures and web searches. I have been obsessed with Denmark and my past, all my life.  My heart is so full of joy right now and yet I fell sorrow, as if I knew them and am truly mourning the loss of them.  What an amazing feeling as if you had a past life and its gifted back to you.
Tac for alt

Peter Paluszewski

Hi,

A better scan of the wedding of Peder and Bodil (Oct. 21st 1855 in Viby):
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-33393-4411-9?cc=2078555&wc=M943-R2D:n1343262627

The birth of Peder (born out of wed April 17th 1826):
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-33461-5231-42?cc=2078555&wc=M943-R2Z:n1254902085

Parents: Woman Ane Kirstine Johansdatter of Wibÿe (=Viby). As the childs father: Dragoon Peder Thomsen Johansen at the regiment in Aarhus.

Regards, Peter

Peter Paluszewski

From Wadschier's database, I've found that "Prins Frederik Ferdinands lette Dragoner" were stationed in Århus from 1819-1863. It should be possible to find the military papers on Peder Thomsen Johansen in the National Archives, but it requires a visit to the archives, and some time, as we don't know the year of enrolment.

Barbara Pedersen

That is amazing seeing it in writing... and, what amazing handwriting they had.

I am planning a trip to Denmark for my daughters high school graduation gift..... I have a feeling it will be more of a gift to myself, and I may never want to leave.

( a small bio on myself )
I see why my Danish family picked Newport Rhode Island to live in.  It's not only one of the oldest places to live in the united states but it is a true mirror of Denmark, going by some of the pictures I have seen.

I am the youngest of 10 children, with a 25 year gap between my oldest sibling and myself.  My parents passed away when I was younger, so I was never able to gather information about my generations past.
The only thing I remember my mother telling me was, her father left Denmark when he was 16 and started his life here on our small Island.

I found a box of old pictures and some letters written in danish and now, I am hooked....
My daughter self taught herself how to speak and write in Danish as a gift to me, when she 10 years old, and has since taught me. 

I did find a Carl Petersen ( I think its Soren Pedersens brother)
his wifes name is Thora or Flora and they had a son named John who was born in Denmark.
He had 2 daughters born here in Rhode Island named Lilly and Fanny.

Soren Pedersen's son Neil Peter Petersen spent a lot of time in Canada, so I thought maybe some family lived there.  I found a paper that said he spoke at Parlement ... something about standardizing the screw and the threads. He left a large sum of money to my mother when he passed, so I imagine he was well off.

One of the pictures I have, someone wrote on it,  I think it says Mikkel Mikkelsen.... I guess it to be Ane Mikkelsen's brother.
He was one of the railway workers.

Barbara Pedersen

WOULD STINE BE THE SAME NAME AS KISTINE?

Aarhus, Ning, Viby, Wiibye, et Huus, 40, FT-1834, B343

Stine Johansdatter 39 ugift  af sine Hænders Arbeide 
Peder Petersen 8 ugift  hendes søn 
Johannes Christensen 5 ugift  hendes søn 
Johanne Pedersdatter 75 ugift  Almisselem 
Karen Pedersdatter 38 gift  af sine Hænders Gjerning 
Christian Pedersen 6 ugift  hendes søn 
Christen Jenssen 1 ugift  hendes søn

Peter Paluszewski

Yes,
That would be very common.
Maybe she just went by the short form of her name.
Maybe the person writing the census heard wrong.
Maybe the person writing the census didn't meet her in person, but only got her name referenced.

Note that she is unmarried and has two children. The old woman, Johanne Pedersdatter, could be related, but it doesn't say. It was common to have older relatives living under your care.

Peter

Peter Paluszewski

The proof is Johans baptism:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-33461-5081-5?cc=2078555&wc=M943-R2Z:n1254902085

The family is in the census in 1840 as well, now she's a widow with three children.

Aarhus, Ning, Viby, Viby, Hus, 17, , FT-1840, B5866
Navn:   Alder:   Civilstand:   Stilling i husstanden:   Erhverv:   Fødested:
Christen Nielsen    40    Gift       Daglejer   
Maren Nielsdatter    40    Gift       Hans kone, skrædderske   
Stine Johansdatter    46    Enke(mand)       Håndarbejder   
Peder Petersen    14    Ugift       Hendes barn   
Johannes Christensen    10    Ugift       Hendes barn   
Johanne Marie Sørensdatter    2    Ugift       Hendes barn

And in 1845, unmarried, Johanne is her child out of wed.
Aarhus, Ning, Viby, Viby By, hus, 65, 2, FT-1845, B2775
Stine Johansdatter    51    Ugift       indsidderske   Aarhuus
Johanne M. Sørensen    7    Ugift       hendes uægte barn   Wiby

Aarhus, Ning, Viby, Viby, Hus, 31, FT-1850, B5463
Stine Johansdatter    58    Ugift       Ugift fruentimmer og ernærer sig ved arbejde   I sognet
Johanne M. Sørensdatter    12    Ugift       hendes datter   I sognet

So, as you see, not all the information in the census is reliable.

Regards,
Peter

Barbara Pedersen

I saw that also, a widow with 3 children by different fathers. my first reaction was, "she gets around a little bit."  I have been reading about the war and the dragoon's. She may have had a soft spot for a man in uniform?.  They could have died due to the war, making her an unwed widow?
What ever the reason, it has sparked my imagination about how life was in Denmark in the late 1700's early 1800's.

My thoughts were: the census shows her mother and sister as they had all taken the family name as Pedersen / Pedersdatter. 
Peter Thomsen Johansen  makes make sense for being  Peder Pedersen father.
but that would make Ane Kirstine's fathers first name also Johan.

but ..... this makes it sound like this census is maybe her mother.

Aarhus, Ning, Viby, Viby, , 63, FT-1801, B5150

Johanne Pedersdatter 40 Ugift Moder Indsider 
Ane Kirstine Johansdatter 7 Ugift Hendes datter   
Maren Sørensdatter 60 Ugift Sig opholdende

I found this also:

Denmark Births and Christenings, 1631-1900s
about Peder Pedersen

Name:
Peder Pedersen

Birth Date:
17 apr 1826

Cristening Date:
28 maj 1826 (28 May 1826)

Christening Age:
Ancestry.com
MAGLEBY (MOEN), PRAESTO, DENMARK

Father:
Peder Hendriksen

Mother:
Marie Pedersdr

Barbara Pedersen

Father: Peder Pedersen
spouse: Bodil Kirstine Jacobsdr

child: Hans Carl Pedersen 
Gender Male
Christening Date 10 Jun 1867
Christening Place VIBY,AARHUS,DENMARK
Birth Date 29 Jan 1867   

child: Soren Peter Pedersen
Gender Male
Christening Date 03 Jul 1859
Birth Date 09 Apr 1859

child: Jacob Pedersen
Gender Male
Christening Date 21 Oct 1855
Birth Date 16 Sep 1855

child: Pedersen  
Gender Female
Christening Date 
Christening Place 
Birth Date 23 Feb 1863
Birthplace VIBY,AARHUS,DENMARK
Death Date 1863

child: Ane Mette Pedersen
Gender Female
Christening Date 05 Jul 1857
Birth Date 28 Apr 1857

child: Jens Pedersen
Gender Male
Christening Date 30 Mar 1861
Birth Date 26 Mar 1861

child: Soren Pedersen  
Gender Male
Christening Date 02 Oct 1864
Birth Date 08 Jun 1864

I didn't know there had been a Soren Peder and a Soren that were brothers. One was born in 1859 and my GG father was born in 1864, but now I understand why I was always confused about when his birthday was.

Peter Paluszewski

I think the record from Magleby is unrelated - it is a different part of the country. Peder Pedersen is extremely common, so we need good evidence.

The naming traditions for the majority of Denmark in rural areas until approx. 1880s were:
If a couple is married, the child's last name will be a patronym after the father: Peder's son is Pedersen, Peder's daughter is Pedersdatter (though in the second half of the 1800s Pedersen became more in use for females as well).
If the parents are unmarried, the child either gets the patronym after either the father or the mother's father.

Often the first name of the first male child is named after the father's father, the second after the mothers father, likewise for females.

It was also common to name a child after a previous child, who died young, or after a recently deceased wife/husband. Check if Søren Peter Pedersen died before 1864.

At the end of the 1800s family names were introduced. For nobility and in southern Jutland, much before.

So, in the 1834 census:
Stine's father's name was Johan
Peder's father's name was Peder/Peter
Johannes' father's name was Christen
Johannes' fathers name was Peder
Karen's fathers name was Peder

That is why I don't believe Karen is related - if she was a sister of Stine, she would have been a Johansdatter.

You are probably right about the 1801-census, and the mother still living with her daughter in 1834.

Kind regards
Peter

Hanne Bjørn

4 simblings of Peder Pedersen:
Viggo Kristian Pedersen born 5 nov. 1892 in Hasselager, Kolt parish
Aage Emanuel Pedersen born 24 mar. 1895 in Pårup, Funder parish
with an other mother:
Anna Abeline Helga Pedersen born 5 may 1906 in Kongsvang, Viby parish
Gunnar Alling Pedersen born 5 june 1908 in Kongsvang, Viby parish

Here is something about Anna´s Family:
Anna Abeline Helga Rasmussen, født Pedersen (1906 - 1956)

Født
5. maj 1906
Viby Sogn
Århus Amt
Danmark

Død
2. december 1956
Gentofte Sogn
København Amt
Danmark
Død 50 år gammel

Begravet
6. december 1956
Hvidovre kirkegård
Danmark

Forældre
Forældre ukendte

Ægtefælle/livspartner(e) Viet d. 4/5 1929 i Sct. Lukas kirke, Århus.
Emanuel George Rasmussen (1900 - 1974) se note

Børn
Grethe Jacobsen (1931 - )

In 1930 Gunnar and his mother lived Schleppegrellsgade 25 in Aarhus

regards
Hanne Bjørn

Barbara Pedersen

In understanding now about how the Danish were named, I had first started my search for my Grandfather using the name Peter Petersen.
In 1905 when he came to the USA his name was Peter Petersen and I never gave it much thought as to it being anything different.
Then as the puzzle started to form, I wondered if maybe I had been searching the wrong name. I searched for Peter (peder) Sorensen and came up with nothing.
Then I read how in 1904 it was put to law or such that The perm. last name was required  from then forth.

The way I see it is, The Danes had a great sense of humor. I can see it as a funny skit being done when they are introducing family members.

Pete and re-Pete.

-------------------------
Gunnar and Anna from Soren' 2nd wife.
I found many letters from Gunnar to my mother along with pictures.
I believe his wife's name was Lilly
and a child named Bente ( not sure when she was born or passed )
From the photo's, it looked as though she may have had children around the same age as myself.
-------------------------
Todays project is learning more about Stine and Peder and the infantry he was in and some history to go along with it.  I am hoping to find a romantic story somewhere in all this.

Barbara Pedersen

Ane Mikkelsen died on June 13 1900

(Widower) Soren Pedersen married Ane Marie Knudsen on December 19 1905 in Aarhus Vor Frue.

Ane Marie was born in Alling parish March 7 1884
daughter of Johan Wilhelm Knudsen and Abeline Marie Jensen

Soren`s Daughter Ane Kirstine Elisabeth Pedersen died on December 16, 1905.
She was 8 years old.
3 days later he remarried his 2nd wife.
Ane`s burial date was Dec. 20, 1905. ( she was burried the day after her father was married )

Soren's second wife was 2 years older then his oldest son Niels Peder Pedersen.  3 or 4 years older then my grandfather peder pedersen.

Ane Marie gave birth to a daughter in may of 1905. That means she was pregnant when they were married.

Niels Pedersen and Peder Pedersen left Denmark in December of 1905 to live with their uncle Carl in the USA.
Could they have left in anger?
Their father just married a pregnant woman who was 20 years younger then him and their sister died while all this was going on.

Barbara Pedersen

ANE KIRSTINE JOHANSEN'S SON
(information for my great great great grandfather Peder Pedersen)
Johannes Christensen

Birth

Magleby, Svendborg, Langeland, Denmark

Death
    14 Jul 1875
    Magleby, Svendborg, Langeland, Denmark

Family Info

Father
    Kristine Pedersen
Mother
    ANE KIRSTINE JOHANSDATTER (1795-)
Spouse
    Cathrine Marie Knudsdatter (1823-1885)
    Married 1846
Children

Hansine (1844-1924)
    Anne Christine (1847-1858)
    Conradine (1850-1856)
    Knud Christian (1852-1863)
    Lars (1859-1862)
    Theodor (1861-)

Brian Hammons

Your message:
Peter Petersen. born aug.14, 1888 Aarhus, Denmark (he moved to Rhode Island usa in 1905, when he was 16 years old. The 1905 cencus said he lived with a "Carl Pedersen, Uncle" 

Your message: My mother, when she was living, spoke of family that may still be living in Denmark. Names I remember hearing: Gunnar, Lilly, Bente, Jannie, Pia.  but those names dated back to late 1970's and early 1980's

Hi,

I came across your post while searching for my family genealogy on my mother's side of the family in Newport RI. I asked my mother about it and she said:

"My mom and her sister went to Denmark in September 1982 to try and find her father's home in Jutland or Funder. They found it and the person who lived there invited them in. Showed them pictures of the Mikkelsen farm across the street. Anna Mikkelsen was his mother's name. Anyway, Gunnar my grandfather's half brother is who they traveled around with. Gunnar is deceased, but Bente his daughter is still alive and her kids Jannie and Pia. They either live in Virum or Lyngby. They are I believe town right next to each other."

I haven't read through the remainder of this thread and know it's old, but I would be interested to connect my family tree lineage to your family. My mother's extended relatives still live in in Newport RI, and even more of us in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Thanks!

Brian