Need help finding relative

Startet af Katie Bench, 25 Mar 2014 - 18:19

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Katie Bench

I'm hoping to find any information on...

Niels Christian Svendsen

The only info I can find is a birth certificate for his son, Frederik Vilhelm Svendsen (1868). Elling, Hjorring, Denmark.  The mother of this child was Helmine Kirstine Olesen.  The mother and son later came to America.

I would love to find any info on Niels Christian Svendsen and his family.  Help! 
Thank you!
Katie

John Wrenholt

The birth record for Frederik Vilhelm Svendsen can be viewed here:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-33490-5410-64?cc=2078555&wc=M5KS-GPR:357516901,359770601,359890901,359897401

The father is named as Niels Christian Peter Svendsen of Hedeaas.

Checking the census records for Hedeaas which is located in Aasted sogn we find this family:

Hjørring, Horns, Aasted, Hedaas, 19, en Gaard, 99, FT-1850, B3256

Name:   Age:   Marital status:   Pos. in household:   Occupation:   Birth place:
Else Svendsdatter    56   Enke       Gaardmands Enke, og Huusmoder   Aasted
Svend Chr. Olesen    31   Ugift       hendes børn   Aasted
Anders Christensen    17   Ugift       hendes børn   Aasted
Else Cathrine Christensdatter    20   Ugift       hendes børn   Aasted
Margrethe Christensdatter    16   Ugift       hendes børn   Aasted
Kirsten Christensdatter    13   Ugift       hendes børn   Aasted
Niels Christian Svendsen    2   Ugift       Plejebarn   Aasted

This Niels Christian Peter Svendsen was born in May of 1848.  His birth record can be found is 1844-1857 Aasted, Horns, Hjørring ops 12.  The parents are listed as unmarried Ane Kirstine Christensdatter and Svend Christian Olsen. 

This appears to be the correct person but without more information that is given in Frederik's birth record, I cannot be 100% certain.

Ralph Rasmussen

By birth certificate, do you mean that you have a paper document, possibly with the missing baptismal date, or some explanation of the lack of a baptism?

If Frederik Vilhelm reached the age of 14 in Denmark, there may be a fragment of a military/draft (lægd) record or a confirmation record.  The latter would require a baptism at some point up to his confirmation.

Naming the father, rather than the 'named as the father' may imply that he acknowledged his responsibility.

The Aasted parish record (tilgang, afgang) may place the father at Hedeaas if he traveled in or out of the parish.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø