Please help with Birth Record: Verninge Sogn, Odense 1841-1880

Startet af Roger Nelson, 03 Apr 2014 - 03:02

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Roger Nelson

Verninge 1841-1880: Opslag #156; Kirstine Cathrine Nielsen, b. 14 Aug 1877.
I need help with the column: Names, civil status, occupation, residence of parents.
Mother: Unmarried Karen Kirstin Hansen (27). . .?
Thanks, Rog Nelson

Ralph Rasmussen

Transcribed:

Ug. Frt. Karen Kirstine
Hansen (27) af xxxx M.[Mølle?]
og udl. Bf. Ungkarl Christian
Nielsen i xxxxxxxx

P. xxxx Hansen?, Inds. N. Hansen og Hmd.
L. Hansen i Nxxxx med Hst., Hmd A.
Hansen i Langsted?

xxx førend tjente Mod. i Sk......

Unmarried *floozy Karen Kirstine Hansen, age 27, of xxxx Mølle, and named father bachelor Christian Nielsen of xxxxxxx

Witnesses Miss xxxxxxx, lodger N. Hansen and villager L. Hansen and wife of xxxx, villager A. Hansen of Langsted.

(10 mos.) earlier the mother was employed in Sk......

*Fruentimmer is mostly used to describe a woman who already has a child outside of any marriage.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Roger Nelson

Inger Toudal

Ug. Frt. [Ugift Fruentimmer] Karen Kirstine
Hansen (27) p. [paa] Naarup M. [Mark?]
og udl. Bf. Ungk. [udlagt Barnefader Ungkarl] Christian
Nielsen i Xxxxxxxxxx

P. [Pige] A. Kr.(?) Hansen, Inds. [Indsidder] N. Hansen og Hmd. [Husmand]
L. Hansen i Naarup med Hst. [Hustru], Hmd. A.
Hansen i Langsted.

?Md [Timaanedersdagen] forud tjente
Mod. [Moderen] i Skovsbo.

In 1880, the girl born 1877 is a foster child in Køng parish:

Odense, Baag, Køng, Gummerup Bye, Et Hus, 90, FT-1880, B2555
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Pos. in household:      Occupation:      Birth place:
Niels Nielsen    58    Gift    Husfader, Daglejer i Agerbruget       Haarby Sogn, Odense Amt
Mette Marie Christensdatter    52    Gift    Husmoder, hans Kone       Kjøng Sogn, Odense Amt
Kirstine Cathrine Nielsen    2    Ugift    Deres Plejebarn       Verninge Sogn, Odense Amt

Are these her parents?

Odense, Odense, Verninge, Naarup, hus, 11, FT-1880, B0223
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Pos. in household:      Occupation:      Birth place:
Niels Christian Nielsen    25    Gift    husfader, dagleier       Kjøng sogn
Karen Kirstine Hansen    30    Gift    husmoder       Værninge sogn
Hans Andersen    80    Enke(mand)    slægtning       Verninge sogn
Rasmine Nielsen    1    Ugift    barn       Kjøng sogn

Best regards,
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Roger Nelson

Hi Inger,  Yes, Niels Christian Nielsen, 25, and Karen Kirstine Hansen, 30, were the parents of Kirstine Cathrine Nielsen. 

If you are researching this family:

Niels Nielsen, 58, and Mette Marie Christensdatter, 52, were the parents of Niels Christian Nielsen and the grandparents of their foster child, Kirstine Cathrine Nielsen.  Niels Nielsen, Mette Marie, Kirstine Cathrine and another foster child named Rasmus (their grandson) emigrated to the United States in 1885.
They lived in Racine, Racine County, Wisconsin.   Kirstine Cathrine Nielsen lived with her grandparents until her death at age 21 on 5 August 1899.  She was buried in Mound Cemetery, Racine, Wisconsin on 8 August 1899.  She died from a bowel infection.

My grandfather, Søren R. Nielsen, was the brother of Niels Christian Nielsen.  Niels Christian Nielsen and Karen Kirstine Hansen remained in Denmark and according to my grandfather's obituary in 1926 Niels Christian Nielsen was still alive.  I cannot find out what happened to Niels Christian Nielsen after the 1890 census from Verninge sogn and his daughter Rasmine's confirmation in 1893.

Do you have any idea of where Niels Christian Nielsen and Karen Kirstine Hansen lived and when they died?

Best wishes,
Rog Nelson

Inger Toudal

Hi Roger,

Odense, Odense, Verninge, Naarup By, , 90, FT-1890, C6309
Niels Christian Nielsen    35    Gift    Husfader    Dagleier    Kjøng Sogn, Odense Amt
Karen Kirstine Hansen    40       Husmoder       Verninge Sogn, Odense Amt
Rasmus* Nielsen    11       Barn       Kjøng Sogn, Odense Amt [* must be Rasmine]
Hans Christian Nielsen    8       Barn       Verninge Sogn, Odense Amt
Marie Magdalene Nielsen    2       Barn       Verninge Sogn, Odense Amt

In 1921 he's a widower living with his housekeeper:

Odense, Vends, Middelfart Købstad, Odensevej, 1 r, , FT-1921, D2835
Niels Christiansen Nielsen    5/11 1854    Enke    husfader    brolægger    Køng, Assens
Jensine Jørgensen    3/4 1856    Ugift    husbestyrerinde       Harrendrup, Odense Amt

Show all fields:
Source:    FT-1921
Name:    Niels Christiansen Nielsen   Sex:    M
Birth date:    5/11
Year of birth:    1854
Position in household:    husfader   Marital status:    Enke
Parish:    Middelfart Købstad   District:    Vends
County:    Odense   Place name:    Odensevej
Title:    1 r
Date moved:    1914
Last residence:    Vejlby, Odense
Religion:    folkekirken
Source entry no:    D2835   Record no.:    3920
Comments:    husets ejer [owner of the house]: N. Chr. Nielsen

I cannot find him in Middelfart in the 1925 census (taken 5 Nov. 1925), which should be indexed according to http://www.dis-danmark.dk/kipkort/fronta-e.php

Here's the youngest daughter from the 1890 census:

Odense, Vends, Vejlby, Røjle, 91a, 3, FT-1925, D6789
Hans Chr. Andersen    04.04 1884    G    Husfader    Landbrug    Vissenbjerg, Odense
Marie Magdalene Andersen    19.03 1887    G    Husmoder       Verninge, Odense
Erna O. C. Andersen    24.12 1907    U    Barn       Middelfart
Adler P. C. Andersen    16.10 1910    U    Barn       Middelfart
Karlo Sv. Aage Andersen    22.10 1912    U    Barn       Middelfart
Hans Chr. Andersen    28.11 1918    U    Barn       Flemløse, Odense

Best regards,
Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Roger Nelson

Hi Inger,

Thank you very much!  Your help is greatly appreciated. 
I have been searching for Niels Chrisian for a long time!

Are you related to Niels Christian?

Best wishes,
Rog Nelson

Inger Toudal

Hi Roger,

No, I'm not related to the family. I just happen to know a little bit about places etc. on the island of Funen.

Marie Magdalene's daughter Erna Olivia Elvira Andersen b. 24 Dec. 1907 (Middelfart, Vends, Odense
1901-1912, opslag 210, No 86). There's a note that the parents were married in Middelfart 19 Oct. 1907.

Marie Magdalene's marriage is in Middelfart 1900-1912, opslag 62, No 29.
It's noted that she was confirmed 14 Apr. 1901 in Middelfart.

Marie Magdalene's confirmation is in Middelfart 1892-1903, opslag 277, No 13.
The family's address is Banegaardsvej 10 12c.

The family in the 1901 census: http://www.sa.dk/ao/billedviser?bsid=23199#23199,2690761 (BETA New image viewer)

According to the census, the family moved from Naarup to Middelfart in 1895 (or 1896?), Niels Christian and Karen Kirstine married 1881(?), and there are 3 living children, and 2 dead children in the marriage.

The 1906 census: http://www.sa.dk/ao/billedviser?bsid=16182#16182,600989

Apparently Niels Christian moved to Vejlby parish sometime between 1907 (witness at granddaughter Erna's baptism?) and 1914. You could try to look up the other children of Marie Magdalene to see if he's a witness at their baptisms.

One of the witnesses at Erna's baptism is the widow Jensine Rasmussen, who must be the housekeeper seen already in the 1901 census. It could be the same housekeeper as in the 1921 census. Maybe Karen Kirstine had died by June 1908, when Erna was baptized?

Best regards,
Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Inger Toudal

In 1916, Niels Christian is a widower, living at the same address as in 1921:

www.sa.dk/content/dk/ao-forside/find_folketallinger
- Årgang: 1916, Stedbetegnelse: Købstad, Købstad: Middelfart, Gade: Odensevej, lige nr. 2 - 80, opslag 155-156.

Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Roger Nelson

Hi Inger,

Thanks again for the additional information.  I knew little about my great-uncle Niels Christian Nielsen until you filled in a lot of empty spaces.  Apparently my grandfather did not keep in close contact with his brother in Denmark because his obituary said his brother, Niels, was still alive in 1926.

I found that Karen Kirstine died in Vejlby 19 June 1913 and was buried in Vejlby Kirkegård.
Niels Christian died 11 Dec 1921 in Middlefart and was buried in Vejlby Kirkegård also.  I assume with his wife.

The 1901 census identified Niels Christian as a "Frybøder,"  "fabriksarbejder."

Does that mean he was a "fireman" or "stoker" for a factory furnace?

Have a great day,
Rog