Help with Skærbæk parish please

Startet af Marlon Henvit, 03 Apr 2014 - 21:35

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Marlon Henvit

I am having difficulty figuring out the organization of the book Tønder, Hviding, Skærbræk 1779-1814. The deaths seem to be  at the beginning of the book but I do not know how to identify the decedent.
In particular I am looking for Peter Jacobsen Handwitt, born 2 December 1795. I think he must have died between 1805 and 1809. On 28 April 1805 there was born a son Matthias Jacobsen and if Peter was not still living it seems to me Matthias' name would have been Peter. Then in 1809 another Peter was born. Peter had two sisters, Helena, born 11 February 1798 and Anna, born 13 November 1800. I find them all on the 1803 census but then they disappear so I am wondering if they also died young.

Any suggestions on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA

Ralph Rasmussen

The burials are pages 68 to 106, roughly lookups 67-105. 

I see none of the three children you name in the deaths from 1804 to 1810, but do see a child Ingeborg Handwit? buried in April 1807, opslag 99.

Opslag 123 picks up page 223, the beginning of the baptisms.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Otto Kjærgaard

Are you aware of that Handwitt might relate to the parish of Handewit or handewitt or Hanved near Flensborg in Southern Slesvig?

The name could indicate some relation to that Parish.

Marlon Henvit

Thanks Ralph. Those records are almost impossible for me to read. I checked birth records for a Ingeborg between Opslags 227, the birth of Matthias and 246, the birth of Peter and found two, Opslag 231 and 236. Neither seems to be the correct family. I did find what I think is the death of Anna Catrina, which is how she is named on the 1803 census but I don't think the age is correct. That can be seen at Opslag 92, 2nd column, 1st record. Again thanks for your time and effort.

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA

Marlon Henvit

Yes, Otto the Handewitt parish is the birth place of Peter Jacobsen the father of the children under discussion. He was orphaned at a young age and I do not know who or where he was raised.

Thanks for your input.

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA

Ralph Rasmussen

You asked about Anna.  If I understand right, she was on the 1803 census and would not have died in 1801.

A more cautious reading for Ingeborg is Ingeborg Hansdatter, who then is on opslag 236.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Inger Toudal

The 1803 census is here:

Tønder, Hviding, Skærbæk, Dorfs Scherrebeck, , 31, FT-1803, C2845
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Pos. in household:      Occupation:      
Jacob Petersen    40    Verheir.    Hausvat.    Inste u. Schuster    
Elsbe Mathesen    32    Verheir.    Hausfrau       
Peter    8       deren Kinder       
Helena    6       deren Kinder       
Anna Catrina    4       deren Kinder       
Anna Mari Nisses    51    Witwe       Hauerling

Please take a look at opslag 1 in the church book!

Confirmations are on opslag 107 - opslag 120.

Maybe the family moved to another parish?

Best regards,
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Marlon Henvit

Thanks Ralph and Inger. I may be facing a dead end. They could have moved to another parish and returned at some point in time. Jacob Petersen, his wife Elsabe and the two boys, Peter and Matthias have their deaths recorded in Skærbæk. Peter and Matthias married and raised families in Særbræk. I guess we are not meant to know everything.

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA

Otto Kjærgaard

I have not done much research in Skærbæk yet. However I have a 3xgrandfather Christen Petersen born there July 3rd 1769 died 1832 in Vollum.
Therefore I am very interested in information about Skærbæk in that period.
He was married to Anna Elsabe Bjerrum born 1780 in Nørre Vollum.

Elsabe is a rather uncommon name in Denmark, however in that area of Vestslesvig there has been some.

Marlon Henvit

Hi Otto, I have been busy with other things for several days and only saw your last post this morning. I don't know much about the Skærbæk parish. As I mentioned earlier my ggg-grandfather Jacob Petersen was born into the Handewitt parish in 1767. He and his two sisters were orphaned in 1771 and I do not know where he was raised. I don't know when he arrived in Skærbæk, I first find him on the 1803 census. His wise Elsabe Mattiasen was from Tønder, Tønder, Tønder and at their wedding in 1795 he was said to be from Medelbey. I am descended from their son Matthias Jacobsen Handewitt. This is the generation that started using Handewitt as a surname. Jacob and Elsabe had another son Peter who's descendants remained in Skærbræk for many generations.To complicate matters Matthias Jacobsen had an illegitimate son Peter Matthiasen who's descendants also remained in Skærbræk many generations. Matthias Jacobsen's legitimate son Jacob Matthiasen Handewitt left for Rødding in the 1820's. Many of the descendants of the illegitimate son came to America beginning in the 1870's and I have attempted to determing who the Maria Handevidt was that traveled to America with mt Grandfather Matthias Handevidt in 1882. You can see the name has undergone changes over the years. My grandfather shortened it to Henvit about 1887. There are many of the descendants who still use Handevidt or Handewitt or something close. That about exhausts my knowledge of Skærbræk.

Thanks for responding to my post.

Marlon Henvit
Renp, Nevada USA

Lise Østerberg Bahr

Hi.

Handewitt, a small area around Flensburg, Husby, Handewitt, Flensburg.

www.Adelby.com by Helmut Martensen. Usefull but also just a small area. in German. with Cards housing the fam.names....

Kind regards
Lise Østerberg Bahr

Bahr fam. relatet here: www.Adelby.com

but also many other fam. in Germany, Mecklenburg, (Michael King´s websides) and in Norway.

Marlon Henvit

Hi Lise, thanks for the information. I am slightly familiar with Handewitt. I have been there and to the church. There is a book published about the history of the church where there is a little information about my ancestors

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA

Lise Østerberg Bahr

Hi.

Ok. interesting.

Regards Lise Ø Bahr