Bertelsen - Odense

Startet af Roger Newman, 24 Apr 2014 - 08:50

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Roger Newman

I'm looking for the parents of Anne Sophia Bertelsen. She married Lars Mogensen on 31 July 1813 in Tanderup, Bäg, Odense. She died 8 Jul 1826 in Rolsted, Aasum, Odense. In 1801 census she is 18 and living in Tommerup, Odense, Odense. I could not locate her in 1787 census. She should be about 4 years old. Her grandson came to America about 1870. Thanks for any help.

Roger

Anne Mortensen

Maybe her parents.
Search her ​​birth approx. 1773rd
FT 1801 18 years - married in 1813 30 years?

odense, Baag, Tanderup, Emtekiær, , 2, FT-1787, B4454
Navn:    Alder:    Civilstand:      Stilling i husstanden:      Erhverv:      Fødested:
Bertel Larsen   50    Gift   hosbond   Bonde og gaardmand   
Kiersten ??datter   48    Gift   Madmoder      
Lars Bertelsen   10    Ugift   deres ægte Børn      
Ana Bertelsdatter   16    Ugift   deres ægte Børn      
Berthe Bertelsdatter   7    Ugift   deres ægte Børn   

Venlig hilsen
Anne Mortensen - 2770

Mette Lund

Hi Roger,

This old page (in Danish): http://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php?1,379546,379628 states that Anne Sophie and her sisters are from Assens, Baag, Odense. Here is the family ind the 1787 census:

Odense, Baag, Assens Købstad, Assens Kiøbstad, Storegade no 28, 31, FT-1787, B0007

Navn:    Alder:    Civilstand:      Stilling i husstanden:      Erhverv:      Fødested:
Lorens Bertelsen    46    Gift    hosbonde    camerraad og tolder    
Anne Dorthea Trolle    34    Gift    hans kone       
Sara Elionora Rodevig    14    Ugift    alle af andet ægteskab       
Joachim Godske    10    Ugift    alle af andet ægteskab       
Anne Sofie    4    Ugift    alle af andet ægteskab       
Charlotte Dort. Krist.    1    Ugift    alle af andet ægteskab       
Jens Linnegaar    23    Ugift    tienestefolk    skriver    
Peder Madsen    32    Ugift    tienestefolk       
Anne Lisbett Paulsdatter    26    Ugift    tienestefolk       
Berte Andersdatter    27    Ugift    tienestefolk       
Marie Erichsdatter    22    Ugift    tienestefolk

The baptism is in Assens, Baag, Odense 1778-1805 opslag/page 93 (first entry on the page): Anne Sophie, parents Lorenz Bertelsen and wife Dorthe Trolle.

Here is Lars Mogensen in 1834:

Odense, Aasum, Rolsted, Rolfsted Bye, Skolelærerboligen, 1, FT-1834, B5234

Lars Mogensen    43    Enke(mand)       Kirkesanger og skolelærer    
Lucie Charlotte Mogensen    19    Ugift       Hans barn    
Anne Magrethe Hedevig Mogensen    17    Ugift       Hans barn    
Petrine Kirstine Mogensen    15    Ugift       Hans barn    
Lorents Mogensen    14    Ugift       Hans barn    
Johanne Christophine Cathrine Marie Mogensen    11    Ugift       Hans barn    
Caroline Jacobine Bertelsen    46    Ugift       Huusholderske    
Sara Eleonore Hedevig Bertelsen    61    Ugift       Pensionist i kost og logie    
Inger Nielsdatter    26    Ugift       Tjenestepige

There is a son Lorents - presumably named after the grandfather - maybe indicating that the Assens family is the correct one.

Cheers,
Mette

Ralph Rasmussen

My take:

In 1801 she is 'in her 18th year'.  That gives a birth ca. 1784.  In rural Fyn her father should be Bertel, not simply Bertelsen.

In the census her name could be shortened to any of the various spellings of Anna/Anne.

It's probably better to search for 'Bertel/Berthel' as a first name in that herred or parish in 1787 and see if there are any likely daughters.

Here's the Danish version for a search:  http://www.ddd.dda.dk/soeg_person_selv.asp

I think you can switch the search portion to English.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Roger Newman

Thank You Anne, Mette, Ralph for your reply. Mette found the right family. I was looking for father to have a first name of Bertel. Can you tell me what the occupation of Lorens Bertelsen is in the 1787 census "camerraad og tolder"?

Ralph Rasmussen

Touché.  In a købstad and with the more prominent folk the rules were already changing.  It was true in rural areas that the transition began about 1810 and extended as late as 1870, on rare occaision even later.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Roger,

Anne Sophie's parents have to be Lorentz Bertelsen and Dorthe Trolle.  My reasoning is that in all the records (marriage, birth of children, and death) she is listed as Bertelsen and not Bertelsdatter.  In addition two of her sisters are listed as sisters-in-law of her husband in the 1845 census. 

All persons in the household
Odense, Aasum, Rolsted, Rolfsted, En degnebolig, 1, FT-1845, B5839

Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Pos. in household:      Occupation:      Birth place:
Lars Mogensen    54    Enke(mand)       Kirkesanger og skolelærer    Steenløse sogn, Odense Amt
Petrine Kirstine Mogensen    26    Ugift       Hans datter    Her i sognet
Sophie Magdalene Hansen    11    Ugift       Huusfaders datterdatter    Svallerup sogn, Holbek Amt
Caroline Jacobine Bertelsen    57    Ugift       Huusfaders svigerinder, lever af pension    Assens
Sara Eleonore K. Bertelsen    72    Ugift       Huusfaders svigerinder, lever af pension    Assens

Note that Sara is listed in the 1787 census with Lorentz and Dorthe as her parents.

Sincerely,
Paul

Roger Newman

Thank you for all for the answers. Now on to the son-in-law of Anna Bertelsen to see if I can find some answers on his family.

Roger