Sine Jensen born 10 April 1853 in Denmark ---info on birthplace or parents??

Startet af Kathryn Raymond, 02 Jul 2014 - 22:02

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Kathryn Raymond

My great grandmother was named Anna Mette Sine Jensen. She was Born April 10, 1853 in Denmark.  I would like any information that anyone has about her birthplace or parents or anything else.  I only have information about her after the US census in 1880 after she emigrated to the USA.
Thank you Kathryn

Ralph Rasmussen

In addition to my note in your other inquiry, have you tried to use Family Search (www.familysearch.org)?

We who are active in the forum may already be pursuing these lines.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Kathryn Raymond

Yes, I have used family search, ancestry.com and the Danish emigration archives.  But I can not ascertain which Sine Jensen she can be.   Thank you for the info.  Kathryn

Heidi Ilsoee

Do you know when she left Denmark and if she was married when she left?
Did she leave alone or with relatives?

Heidi

Eva Morfiadakis

Event Date: 28 May 1933 
Event Place: Mobile, Mobile, Alabama 
Age (Original): 80 y 1 m 18 d 
Birth Year (Estimated): 1853 
Spouse's Name: Chris Jensen 
Father's Name: William Jensen 
Mother's Name: Sine Jensen 

(from familysearch)

I think this is Sine Jensen's death index. This seems to indicate another date of birth.

Her parents' names are registered as William Jensen and Sine Jensen. I wonder if this is correct or has the informant just made it up because he did not know the names?

Eva M
Eva M

Heidi Ilsoee

It looks like Eva has found the death og your Sine Jensen.

The birthdate seems to match:
1933 - 80 years = 1853
May - 1 month = april
28 - 18 days = 10

Born 10 Apr. 1853

If the parent names are correct we will have to wait and see when we find her. Looking...

Heidi

Eva Morfiadakis

Hi,

How do I count? You are absolutely right about the date of birth.

Eva M
Eva M

Kathryn Raymond

Sine was born on April 10, 1853 and died on may 28, 1933.  Her death certificate listed her father's name as William Jensen and her mother's name as Sine Jensen.  The death certificate informant was her son Niles Peter Wilhelm Jensen.  I don't know if he guessed the names or knew them. 
Kathryn

Erling Agesen

Hello,

I think this could be Sine and family in the 1880-census:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MW3S-M6P
Name:   Sine Jensen
Event Type:   Census
Event Year:   1880
Event Place:   Trufant, Montcalm, Michigan, United States
District:   240
Marital Status:   Married
Race:   White
Race (Original):   W
Relationship to Head of Household:   Wife
Relationship to Head of Household (Original):   Wife
Birth Year (Estimated):   1853
Birthplace:   Denmark
Father's Birthplace:   Denmark
Mother's Birthplace:   Denmark
Sheet Number and Letter:   256B
Affiliate Name:   The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Affiliate Publication Number:   T9
Affiliate Film Number:   0597
GS Film Number:   1254597
Digital Folder Number:   004241737
Image Number:   00136
Household   Role   Gender   Age   Birthplace
Christian Jensen   Self   M   30   Denmark
Sine Jensen   Wife   F   27   Denmark
Amelia Jensen   Daughter   F   3   Michigan, United States
Otto Jensen   Son   M   1   Michigan, United States
John Petterson   Other   M   24   Denmark
Lars Hansen   Other   M   24   Denmark
Christian Peterson   Other   M   24   Denmark
Laurids Thermansen   Other   M   32   Denmark
Jens Ericksen   Other   M   24   Denmark
Rasmus Kjaldsen   Other   M   19   Denmark
William Jensen   Son   M   5   Michigan, United States
Foran Thermansen   Other   M   28   Denmark

Citing this Record:
"United States Census, 1880," index and images, <i>FamilySearch</i> (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MW3S-M65 : accessed 05 Jul 2014), Sine Jensen in household of Christian Jensen, Trufant, Montcalm, Michigan, United States; citing sheet 256B, NARA microfilm publication T9.

Sine and Chris' marriage-record could be:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N3NY-59Z

Son William is probably Nels Peter Wilhelm Jensen;
his's birth-record (31 dec. 1875):
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NQHB-L52

Both record's has her name as Lena, but if you look on the handwritten image Sine is more likely.

Jensen must be her surname by marriage.
Her maiden surname is likely to be a patronym from her fathers first name, William og Vilhelm in Danish,
i.e. Williamsdatter or Vilhelmsdatter.
I think you should also search for her birth and immigration under this name.

Also Census 1900 or 1910 should show year of immigration.

Good luck.

Erling Agesen
Med venlig hilsen
Erling Agesen

Eva Morfiadakis

Hello,

Her maiden name could very well be Jensen because if you look at the other couples they have different surnames. Since Jensen is not an uncommon name in Denmark their surnames could have been the same.

Eva M
Eva M

Erling Agesen

Eva,

I agree; Jensen is the absolute most common surname i Denmark,
- and the marriage-record har her surname as Jensen, so I was wrong assuming she could be Vilhelmsdatter og Williamdatter.

Kathryn,

The daeth-record (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JDPD-GM5) lists her father as William Jensen,
but could this eventually be a mistake ? - based on someone's bad memory.

The most common naming practice in Denmark in the 1850's was the use of patronym, at least in the countryside where most Danes lived.
So if she was born in the countryside, her father's first name would be Jens and his surname could be anything.

Erling Agesen

Med venlig hilsen
Erling Agesen

Kathryn Raymond

My mother told me that Sine herself said that her last name was Jensen just like her husband's name before they married. 

Kathryn

John Wrenholt

I have found a Mette Andersine Jensen who was born on 10 April 1853.  Here she is in the 1860 census records with her mother Grethe Nielsdatter.

Holbæk, Løve, Finderup, Tjørnelunde Skoledistrikt, Tjørnelunde By, Et Hus, 168, FT-1860, C5669
Name:    Age:    Marital status:    Position in household:    Occupation:    Birth place:
Niels Pedersen    58    Gift   Husfader. Husmand. Væver      Finderup Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Christence Christensen    55    Gift   Hans Kone      Havrebjerg Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Peder Nielsen    26    Ugift   Deres Barn      Finderup Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Christen Nielsen    22    Ugift   Deres Barn      Finderup Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Jacobine Nielsdatter    19    Ugift   Deres Barn      Finderup Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Grethe Nielsdatter    31    Fraskilt   Deres Barn      Solbjerg Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Mette Annasigne Jensen    7    Ugift   Den sidstnævntes Barn      Finderup Sogn, Holbæk Amt

Her birth record is 1842-1869 Finderup, Løve, Holbæk ops 67
Confirmation record is 1842-1869 Finderup, Løve, Holbæk ops 142

Although she is not an exact match for the information given, her  birth date seems to merit further research.

Kathryn Raymond

John, Thank You!! It sure sounds like my Great Grandmother.  I have the name Mette Anna Sine Jensen from someone else in the extended family.  So I feel pretty sure that this Mette Annasigne is probably her.  I found the 1860 census from your info, but where do I find the birth and confirmation records?  I know that you quoted pages and places, but I don't know where to find those. 
Thank you Kathryn

Ralph Rasmussen

A portal to the scanned records:

http://www.sa.dk/content/dk/ao-forside/find_kirkeboger#

Choose 'in English' from the top line. 

And the transcribed censuses:

http://www.ddd.dda.dk/soeg_person.asp

The british flag will switch the titles to English, leaving the transciptions in Danish.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Eva Morfiadakis

Hello,

I looked at the birth record of Mette Andersine Jensen. Her parents were named Jens Andersen and Grethe Nielsdatter. Quite different from the names on the death certificate.

I tried to look in the moving-out lists from 1867-1874 if I could find her but I couldn't but then the quality of some pages is very poor.

EvaM
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

Navn:  Jensen, Mette Andersine Stilling:  Jomfru
Alder:  17 Bestemmelsessted:  Ionia
Kontrakt nr.:  94700 Forevisningsdato:  5/5/1870
Sidste oph.sogn:  Ruds Vedby Sidste oph. amt:  Holbæk
Sidste oph.sted:  Rud S., Holb. A. Bestemmelses land:  USA
Bestemmelses by:  Ionia Bestemmelses stat:  ?
Skibsnavn:  Indirekte
Bemærkninger:  SOS: Rud sogn rettet til Ruds Vedby sogn IDkode: 

This could be her. There is a town called Ionia in Michigan.

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

Perhaps I should have explained my enclosure. It is an emigration record. This girl, 17 years old, left Copenhagen on 5 May 1870. She was going to a place called Ionia. Before leaving she resided in Ruds Vedby parish in Holbaek county.

She was going "indirekt" which means she was changing ships somewhere. It doesn't say where. It could have been in Hamburg or an English port.

Eva
Eva M

Kathryn Raymond

Thank you all so much!!  I'm sure that these records must be my great grandmother.  Almost everything that my mother said fits perfectly.  Ionia, Michigan is very close to where she married and was recorded with her husband in the 1880 census.  I am absolutely thrilled to have all of this info---I thought that I would never find it.  Now I only have to find Christian Wilhelm Jensen born on May 5, 1950. I have where he and Sine were married and all the subsequent censuses.  I just can't find him in Denmark---his location or parents.  I found a Christian Jensen on Ancestry.com with the correct birth date of May 5 though.  I would appreciate any help about Christian.
Thanks again Kathryn 

Pamela Alley

Her mother arriving in 1869?

Nielsen, Grethe   Stilling:    Sypige
Alder:    40   Bestemmelsessted:    Ionia, Michigan
Kontrakt nr.:    161700   Forevisningsdato:    4/12/1869
Sidste oph.sogn:    ?   Sidste oph. amt:    Holbæk
Sidste oph.sted:    Holbæk Amt   Bestemmelses land:    USA
Bestemmelses by:    Ionia   Bestemmelses stat:    Michigan
Skibsnavn:    Indirekte
IDkode:    I6969N1313

Ellen Steen-Petersen

Navn:   Jensen, Christoffer   Stilling:   Landmand
Alder:   21   Bestemmelsessted:   Jonia
Kontrakt nr.:   62000   Forevisningsdato:   4/4/1870
Sidste oph.sogn:   Drøsselbjerg   Sidste oph. amt:   Holbæk
Sidste oph.sted:   Drøsselbjerg, Holb. A.   Bestemmelses land:   USA
Bestemmelses by:   Ionia   Bestemmelses stat:   ?
Skibsnavn:   Indirekte      
IDkode:   I6971Y1716   

Maybe this is Christian Jensen?

/Ellen   

John Wrenholt

Concerning Christian W Jensen:

On familysearch.org, I located a family pedigree which has this note attached:

Additional Information for Christian W. /Jensen/
Notes (1)

His parents died in Denmark.  He received some money from their estate
and he decided to come to America.  He stayed with an aunt in Michigan
and arrived in the US in 1866 after the Civil War.

I have found a Christian Jensen (no middle name) born May 19, 1850.  His mother, Bodil Larsdatter, died 1865 and his father, Jens Sørensen, died in 1866.  Here is the family shown in the 1860 census.

Holbæk, Løve, Kirke Helsinge, Vinde Helsinge Skoledistrikt, Vinde Helsinge By, En Gaard, 130, FT-1860, C5673
Name:    Age:    Marital status:    Position in household:    Occupation:    Birth place:
Jens Sørensen    65    Gift   Husfader. Gaardmand      Kirke Helsinge Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Bodil Larsdatter    45    Gift   Hans Kone      Finderup Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Mette Jensdatter    17    Ugift   Deres Barn      Kirke Helsinge Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Karen Marie Jensdatter    15    Ugift   Deres Barn      Kirke Helsinge Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Lars Jensen    12    Ugift   Deres Barn      Kirke Helsinge Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Christian Jensen    10    Ugift   Deres Barn      Kirke Helsinge Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Niels Nikolaisen    36    Ugift   Tjenestekarl      Kirke Helsinge Sogn, Holbæk Amt

Birth record: 1835-1884 Kirke Helsinge, Løve, Holbæk ops 26

I'm hesitant to post this because I'm afraid it could be a false lead but hopefully someone will be able to use it to find other information.

Eva Morfiadakis

http://mdoe.state.mi.us/1870CensusImages/Roll690/103R.pdf

There is a Christian Jensen in the 1870 Census of Michigan, 21 years old and being a shoemaker. At he time he was living in Menimonee.

There is also a Christian Jensen living in Greenville Vill.,  Montecalm but he is 31.

http://mdoe.state.mi.us/1870CensusImages/Roll692/88R.pdf

Eva M
Eva M

Kathryn Raymond

John,
    Where did you find the death records for---His mother, Bodil Larsdatter, died 1865 and his father, Jens Sørensen, died in 1866.  Thank you Kathryn

Kathryn Raymond

I can read the dates from these death records, but what do the other Danish words mean in English?
Thanks Kathryn

Eva Morfiadakis

Jens Sørensen:

Aftaegtsmand=pensioner, former owner, supported by the new owner of landed property, probably a son, in Vinde Helsinge, 2nd time widower. Probate on 27 March 1866.

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

Bodil Larsdatter:

Farmer Jens Sørensen's wife in Videhelsinge 49 years old. Probate 9 May 1865.

Eva M
Eva M