Tying together some Jyllinge records in 1700's

Startet af Peter Jones, 05 Jul 2014 - 03:10

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Peter Jones

Firstly many thanks to Ralph for his help with identifying Magrethe MatthisDatter's baptism record in 1723.

I have a marriage for her to Ole Sørensen in 1751 - Jyllinge opslag 113

I think they must be the parents of my ancestor Søren Olsen but could someone please check this record for me - Jyllinge Kirkebog 1651-1814 opslag 68 - I am not clear on Ole's surname and would like to know the other information this record gives as well.  Reading and translation help please.

The pair - Ole Sørensen and Magrethe MatthisDatter are both on the 1787 Census with ages 76 and 73 respectively.  (I have looked at the actual records, not just the Dansk Demografisk Database) These are too old to be the right parents on this information alone, but Margrethe Matthisdatter's baptism record would indicate she should be about 64 on the Census.  I also have a death for Ole Sørensen in Jyllinge opslag 94, buried 1 January 1797 age 72, which would only make him to be 62 on the Census.  I have not been able to find a baptism for him in Jyllinge at about 1725.

Any comments?  Ah, this 1700's stuff is so hard to read most times.

Thanks,
Peter Jones

Ralph Rasmussen

The context is unusual enough to leave more holes, but here's an important start:

Da der er forlanged Trolovelse
for den unge Karl Ole Sørensen
og Pige Magrete Mattias Datter, og Ole
er ikke fød xxx har lang Tid væred her
i menigheden men er kommed fra Stub-
bekiøbing, saa under skrevne er kommen??
til forløftningmænd for ham at han
er fri for trolovelse og ægteskabsløfte
i hvor han sidste dage har væred ----
----  xxxende og at de [der er?] xx intet
Henseende til Konge Lov og derved
ingen som kand hindre deres ægte-
skab, paa det xxxx Præsten xxx fri  xxxx
Xxxx kand være forsikret?
Jyllinge d 21te Junii 1751
Hendrich Knudsen
NNS (Niels Nieslsens Navn)

As a betrothal between bachelor Ole sørensen and miss Magrete Matthiasdatter, and as
Ole has been in this parish a long while after coming from Stubbekøbing (Maribo, Falster Nørre),
the undersigned (vouch for his eligibility to marry).
Hendrich Knudsens signature, Niels Nielsens initials/mark

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Peter Jones

Thanks Ralph for the extra details in the marriage record.  I now know not to look for Ole Sørensen's christening in Jyllinge.  I think I have found him in Stubbekøbing.

Can someone please look at the attached image and help with the reading- it's the baptism record for Ole Sørensen's son, Søren February 1761 in Jyllinge, opslag 68.
I hope it reads as the person I think it is. But there is also some words after "Søren" - a name - looks like b? af Marie Sophie (W?)____ Datter.  Can someone please tell me why this person is mentioned - what is her function?

I hope the image appears correctly.

Thanks,
Peter Jones

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Ralph Rasmussen

Until well into the twentieth century, the woman who presented the child at the font, and perhaps one who accompanied her, are mentioned.  It can read 'baaren', b(ar) 'B(arnet)', or 'susc(eptrice)' or something similar.

Dom: Esto Mihi [S before Ash Wedenesday] Ole Sørensens Søren
baaren af Marie Sophie Niels Dttr
Test[es] Peder Nielsen, Mette Niels Dttr
Birgitte Hans Dttr

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Peter Jones

Thanks very much Ralph for explaining  this.  (about the woman who brings the child to the font at a baptism)

I am wondering, The woman who brings the child to the font, does she necessarily or usually have an relationship with the child or its family?  Or could she just be a friend of the family, or someone important in the village?

Can anybody elaborate on this?

Thanks,
Peter Jones

Ralph Rasmussen

It has to depend a bit on the parish whether a family member presented the child.  In some parishes it is consistently a prominent woman, so the same name occurs often.  If you are really lucky, the custom will be to involve a family member and name the relationship.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Peter Jones

Thanks again  Ralph for enlightening me.