Drowning accident in Hartford, Connecticut 1910-1915

Startet af Ivar Kjærgaard, 12 Jul 2014 - 19:54

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Ivar Kjærgaard

My wifes grandfathers brother died in a drowning accident in Hartford. Would it be possible to retrieve any kind of information about it - where and when?

We don't have much information, just the familytalk, the birthrecord and the fact, that he went to the US to Work for his uncle, WHO had settled in Hartford some years before.

Time is running out for my wifes father, so it would be great, if we could provide some kind of information.

Kind regards
-ivar

PB

Do you have names, birthdates ?

Is it info about the accident you are looking for or info about his life after emigration ?

With some more info it will be easier to help.

Regards,
Pia

Ivar Kjærgaard

Hi Pia

The person who died: Magnus Hyldahl Lauritzen, born 24. feb. 1892 in Løjt Kirkeby, North Schleswig i.e. Germany.

The uncle Hans Henrik Gross Lauridsen, born 14. nov. 1866 in Nees, Denmark - he was said to have a farm and run a diary in Hartford.

Magnus' brother Peter Hyldahl Lauritzen, born 26. aug. 1894 in Løjt Kirkeby, went to Hartford too before WWI, and returned to Denmark in 1920.

I am primarily interested in the drowning accident, but any information concerning these persons would be wellcome.

Kind regards
-ivar

Janice Simpson

Hello Ivar,

I found an entry and photo for Magnus' gravestone at www.findagrave.com.  He died 04 Jul 1913 in Cedar Falls, Black Hawk County, Iowa and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery there.  His stone is inscribed in Danish and the brith date and place matches the information you've given.  Be sure to click on the photo to enlarge it.

At Ancestry.com I found a Magnus Lauritzen in a 1912 city directory for Hartford, Connecticut.  He is listed as a farmhand and his residence is given as "Bluehills".

Best regards,
Janice Simpson
Gurnee, Illinois

Ivar Kjærgaard

Hi Janice

Thanks for your effort - the old man will certainly be happy tomorrow.

Kind regards
-ivar

Ivar Kjærgaard

Hi Lissa

Thanks for using your time on this.

Kind regards
-ivar

PB

Hi,

Now that you know it happend in Cedar Falls, try to send an email to the historical society at cfuhistory@cfu.net and give them name,date and what you think happend, maybe they can help you telling you what info there might be about this.

There are also many historical newspapers you can search through, for a fee.

So I will recommend that you state your question to an American place instead of this forum, since I believe they can better help you with this.

Regards,
Pia

Ivar Kjærgaard

Hi Pia

Done so, waiting for reply

Regards
-ivar

Ivar Kjærgaard

Just for the record.

Today I received a mail from the Cedar Falls Historical Society including a copy of a page from the local danish newspaper where the drowning accident is mentioned.

Thanks for your interest