Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lynn Christiansen

In my research for Ane Larsdatter I have located her in the following:

1) Baptism: 1814-1839 Stagstrup, Hassing, Thisted img 68 pg 78-#12

Anno: 1832
Numb: 12
Birth date: 3 Octb 1832
Name: Ane Larsen
Parents: Huusmand Lars Jensen Smed og Hustru Kirstine Christensdatter af Gjerup (?)
Christened: døbt i kirke d 9 Decemb 1832
Witnesses: Frambarnen af Christen Christensen konen af Skjoldborg, ?? ; Huusmd Jens Christensen Gaardmand; Christian Hopper og Jens Christian Kobbdrøe, alle af Stagstrup Sogn
Index: f: 234
Remarks:Moderen intr: 16 Decembr

2) 1840 Census Thisted at Danish Family Search http://www.danishfamilysearch.com/cid4384355

listing her as part of the Lars Smed household, Lars Smed and Lars Jensen are one and the same.

515  Lars Smed  Male  50  1790  Married  Huusmand og Dagleier
516  Kirsten Christensdatter  Female  49  1791  Married  hans Kone
517  Jens Larsen  Male  15  1825  Single  deres Børn
518  Christen Hove Larsen  Male  12  1828  Single  deres Børn
519  Ane Larsdatter  Female  7  1833  Single  deres Børn

3) Marriage on 8 Nov 1857 at 1840-1871 Skyum, Hassing, Thisted img 191 pg 234-#5

Anno: 1857
Numb: 5
Groom: Ugift Peder Christian Nielsen, 29 Aar gammel, ?? i Schyum, vacc 30th juni 1829 af Willard
Bride: Ugift Ane Larsen, 25 Aar, Gaardmand Niels Dÿbdahl i Schyum. vacc 27 Juli 1840 af Vitterad
Sponsors: Hand Niels Veic i Schyum Aftagtsmand Lars Jensen i Schjoldborg
Married: 8 Novbr
Index: pag 58 21.22
Remarks: Announced 1st gang 18d Søndag eft Trinit

My issue is this:

in 1) above her father is Lars Jensen,
in 2) it is Lars Smed, I have other entries where Lars Jensen is given as Lars Jensen Smed and Lars Smed,

NOW

in 3) her father, I assume it is the individual listed with her as the Bride is given as Niels Dÿbdahl and Lars Jensen is listed as a Sponsor.

Is there a problem here? am I mixing two Ane Larsdatters, OR am I not understanding the role of Niels Dÿbdahl?

Any insight into this would be appreciated....Thank you...

Rin 22275

Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Ralph Rasmussen

One little word makes the difference.

You read, probably from context, 'Gaardmand' Niels D. That would usually be phrased 'hos (Faderen) N. N.' 

Without the 'hos' it is usually some form of 'tjennende/tjenner'.  And here the groom 'tjenner i Præstegaarden', and the bride is 'tjennende Niels D.'

You should be able to find the bride's vaccination date with her confirmation, to further tie things together.

As an aside - The word 'ugift' most often implies a less than perfect reputation, but not in this book with everyone 'ugift'.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Lynn Christiansen

Ralph---

I really appreciate your insight and feedback.

I tend to look at thing from an American point of view and miss the Danish implication. This is what makes this site so helpful for this Americanized Dane.

I did not realize that "ugift" had a connotation of something other than "single" I appreciate that insight and will view the usage with more interest in the future.

Your suggestion to locate the Confirmation entry is a good one, so off to locate it...

Again, Thank you...

Lynn Christiansen

Confirmation located and father confirmed---Thanks again Ralph